Join Early Retirement Today

Update on Darn Tough Socks
Old 04-18-2019, 12:36 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Update on Darn Tough Socks

I can't seem to find my post, but I recently mentioned that my $24 DarnTough.com socks come with lifetime warranty, but that shipping them back for replacement costs $4.50 in shipping. The seem to last about two years (wearing one pair daily with no shoes) before developing holes.

I since learned that I can exchange them for free at a local retailer.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2019, 01:42 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I can't seem to find my post, but I recently mentioned that my $24 DarnTough.com socks come with lifetime warranty, but that shipping them back for replacement costs $4.50 in shipping. The seem to last about two years (wearing one pair daily with no shoes) before developing holes.

Wow, good for you that you found a local retailer! Good deal!

tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:20 PM   #3

Anyone have any experience with Jox Sox? Got a promo email from them for low cut golf socks, 3 pair for $22. They also offer a lifetime warranty, replacement or money back. Not sure about returning to a local retailer, seems like you have to ship the old ones back.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 03:05 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
You folks are brave to spend that much on socks.

I buy mine on sale, getting 80-90% cotton ones, and pay about $1 each. I open the pack of 12 and dump them in my sock drawer and that is all I wear, over about a year most are worn out.
So DW makes me throw them out and repeat.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:31 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
....The seem to last about two years (wearing one pair daily with no shoes) before developing holes. ...
Please elaborate about "wearing one pair daily with no shoes".... so you walk around in just socks all day? Just an educated guess that the manufacturer's guarantee is premised on their customers wearing socks with shoes!

BTW, they are made in Northfield, VT, USA.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:47 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
You folks are brave to spend that much on socks.

I buy mine on sale, getting 80-90% cotton ones, and pay about $1 each. I open the pack of 12 and dump them in my sock drawer and that is all I wear, over about a year most are worn out.
So DW makes me throw them out and repeat.
THROW THEM OUT What are you, made of m̶o̶n̶e̶y̶ dryer sheets?

Seriously, I do keep "retired" but bleached CLEAN white cotton items in a rag bag, which came in VERY handy when I discovered that our freezer had accreted a solid block of ice behind the door shelves. They also come in handy when wiping up anything really greasy, as I can just throw them out when I'm done.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:36 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Please elaborate about "wearing one pair daily with no shoes".... so you walk around in just socks all day? Just an educated guess that the manufacturer's guarantee is premised on their customers wearing socks with shoes!

Thats exactly what I do.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:37 PM   #8

Given that I walk on concrete part of the day, I cannot get 2 years out of a pair of Darn Tough socks.
I don’t try to use the warranty as I don’t care. They are good socks.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:10 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I get 2 years from Goldtoe socks. $10 for 6 pairs.
Al18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:10 PM   #10

I buy and fold socks. I thought that was what everyone did. AND I do not get them through a sock broker or any kind of fancy foot-ware planner. Heaven forbid you get caught up in some kind of an annuity.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:21 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Costco

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

I lived in Vermont for 8 years. I used to love going to Cabot's annual sale where they had all sorts of excess inventory, factory seconds, etc. at really low prices. I still have a few pairs of Army green Darn Tough winter socks that were made under a Govt contract. Not sure why they were on sale at the annual sale. They're at least 10 years old and still going strong.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:43 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

can get another 5 years use as garage rag!
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:55 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Costco
Me, too. They used to sell cushion soled athletic socks in black, but now just sell the white ones. I'm still in mourning. I buy their thinner socks, but they are not as comfortable.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:10 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I cannot believe you want to wear sox as if they were shoes and then want free replacements when they wear out. This thinking is why many companies do not have lifetime warranties. You are taking advantage of a lifetime warranty for your own personal gain and potentially ruining a good warranty for the rest of us.

I knew a guy that would buy a paint gun on Friday and then return it for a refund when he finished painting on Sunday. He would tell home depot it would not work.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:18 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Me, too. They used to sell cushion soled athletic socks in black, but now just sell the white ones. I'm still in mourning. I buy their thinner socks, but they are not as comfortable.
Yes, I miss the black ones also. They even had them in a larger size for people like me with clown feet. I have used their outdoor socks but I find they wear out very fast and I end up walking on the net that supports the rest of the fiber in the sock
Old 04-19-2019, 09:24 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskies123 View Post
I cannot believe you want to wear sox as if they were shoes and then want free replacements when they wear out. This thinking is why many companies do not have lifetime warranties. You are taking advantage of a lifetime warranty for your own personal gain and potentially ruining a good warranty for the rest of us.
My thoughts also. I remember when I could buy a product from REI and if it failed in an unreasonably short amount of time I could return it for a refund or replacement. Period. I rarely returned things but it was nice to know I could. Now I have only one year thanks to the return artists. Not so good.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:43 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I cannot believe you want to wear sox as if they were shoes and then want free replacements when they wear out. This thinking is why many companies do not have lifetime warranties. You are taking advantage of a lifetime warranty for your own personal gain and potentially ruining a good warranty for the rest of us. ....
+1 It's like buying something, abusing it by using it in a manner not at all intended, and then returning it for a replacement when it "wears" out.

Heck, I even had some velcro closure LLBean boots that I got replaced after a few years of use because the velcro wore out and when the same thing happened again a few years later I didn't feel right to ask for a free replacement, thinking that I had gotton my money's worth from them by using them for 6 years.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:54 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe Lena should knit up some socks for Al’s stocking feet hours.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:48 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I cannot believe you want to wear sox as if they were shoes and then want free replacements when they wear out.
I can understand your point of view. Here's mine:

I bought these socks for $24/pair instead of Costco socks for $3/pair thinking they would last, if not my lifetime, then for a very long time. No, I didn't think they were magic, but I was convinced by the sales pitch.

"Lifetime guarantee" implies something that will last a lifetime. That's their selling point and why I bought them. That's how they compete. The guarantee didn't say that they really wouldn't last a long time with rough use, but would be replaced.

I spent $168 on the socks, and I find that they last me only two years. I'm not going to just throw them away.