Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-04-2008, 02:25 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Fed,
Thanks for answering. When I was doing 60 hr work weeks there was no way I had time for cutting grass, but now it seems like a pretty fun semi-ER activity to throw in a few lawns per week with some of my other unconventional semi-ER gigs. Who knows

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2008, 07:15 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'll tell you what....theres nothing like slinging some mulch on a nice spring day....gettin' a lot done so far....and i LOVE huffing wheelbarrows around...good for my figure....no joke

Old 05-24-2008, 10:09 PM   #23

Well....an update:

52 regular accounts (dropped a few already, a few dropped us). 161 yards of mulch sold, 140 already laid. 12 regular fertilizer accounts. Starting weight 198 lbs. Weight today - 163 lbs...THAT makes it all worth it! I had a nice winter 'coat', but always muscular. Now i'm getting ripped! veins popping out, abs showing again....whew

April gross= $9500 May gross including next weeks cuts $10,500.

It absolutely AMAZES me how much potential there is in this business. With the right management,organizational skills,and funding, I could see taking this business to 500k-750k/year (8 month season) over a 3-4 year period....easily. I turn down work left and right
Old 05-24-2008, 10:26 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like things are really working out great!

Take a break every once in a while, will ya?
Old 05-24-2008, 10:39 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
I pay for mowing, I think it is $35 per cut, a little under a half an acre.

I think it is worth the $1,000 per year so I don't have to do it myself. I HATE yard work, and it is so easy to let someone else do it.

However, when I get closer to retirement, that $1,000 per year is $25,000 of my portfolio allocated for lawn mowing. Would I be willing to retire a couple months earlier and mow my own lawn for the rest of my life? Or stick it out? I think that's one of those things I'll be willing to work longer for.
I enjoy mowing, but if I could get it done for $35 per cut, I would probably pay to have it done. Around here, the going rate is $75-80 and they insist on cutting weekly whether its needed or not. It seems to be a fad type of thing with more and more homeowners signing up with the same lawn crew. They gotta be making a killing by cutting so many lawns on a single stop.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:09 AM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I enjoy mowing, but if I could get it done for $35 per cut, I would probably pay to have it done. Around here, the going rate is $75-80 and they insist on cutting weekly whether its needed or not. It seems to be a fad type of thing with more and more homeowners signing up with the same lawn crew. They gotta be making a killing by cutting so many lawns on a single stop.
That's awful! I wonder if someone else might be interested in mowing your lawn? It might be worth looking around, checking bulletin boards and such.

Percy (our lawn guy) just raised the rate this spring for mowing and edging from $30 per yard to $35, due to increases in costs. He is not the cheapest in this area, but is very reliable and trustworthy and has mowed for Frank's family for decades. He only mows as often as is needed.

The lawn guy I had previous to him only charged $25 but just didn't bother to show up during the entire month of August, 2004! Turned out he wanted to go on vacation and didn't bother to mention that to his customers. My lawn was about up to my knees and I don't like that. So, when he came back I got rid of him and hired Percy.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 07:33 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
Some of you might recall me asking about the lawn care industry last year. I started a company with a friend (yeah, yeah...i know) from scratch and this is what happened

2007 (March 20th-Nov 15): 27 regular mowing accounts, 6 fertilizer customers, 125 yards of mulch spread, 38k gross sales,

2008 To Date: 42 regular mowing accounts, 11 fertilizer customers, 66 yards mulch sold, 39k gross

2008 Expected: 55 regular mowing accounts, 15 fert customers, 160 yards mulch sold, 51k gross

If anything,it keeps me busy and in-shape during the 'off-season' for duct cleaning
Great business plan, nice money maker.

It is funny how everyone is yelling on the rooftops about the price of gasoline and food, when it looks as though most people have enough money to keep doing the things they do.

We do make a good bit of money here in the states to have a lawn service.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:36 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

I do mow our small-ish lawn (30 minutes with our brand new $136 mower that replaced our 5-year-old $125 mower--DH is an avid gardener so that takes care of the other landscaping) and clean our small-ish house, but I have many friends and acquaintances whose landscaping and cleaning services come while my friends are at the health club, so Fed, your lawncare business should continue to prosper!
Old 10-31-2008, 10:24 PM   #29

Well, our sign-ups dropped off quickly as I had to stop advertising...too much too quick and no reliable help! Looks like we will end the season with about the same 42 accounts, and a gross sales figure of about $46k. That's just the two of us working an average of 25 hrs/week for about 26-28 weeks. Operating expenses were about $15-17k off the top of my head.

Just figured I'd update the thread!
Old 11-03-2008, 07:43 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm, $30k net for 700 hours of work. So your business netted you close to $43/hour before taxes. Was that worth your while?

Another business idea for you (as if you need one): in my area there is a business that is solely focused on cleaning gutters (and repair and installation, but mostly cleaning). They advertise over a pretty large geographical area, show up whenever (since they can get up on the roof even when you aren't home), do the job and leave a bill in your mailbox. As far as I can tell, the business employs at least a couple of roving crews of laborers in trucks. For my house they charge about $100 to do the gutters and they are done in about an hour. Seasonal, but probably a nice complement to lawns.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:20 AM   #31
Administrator

Good idea, Brewer! In my area they want $250 up front for a year's worth of gutter cleaning. I guess they just do it 2-3 times for that much. I am hoping that Frank decides to hire them, for safety reasons.

I have gutter guards but it is amazing to me how many people do not.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:05 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Good idea, Brewer! In my area they want $250 up front for a year's worth of gutter cleaning. I guess they just do it 2-3 times for that much. I am hoping that Frank decides to hire them, for safety reasons.

I have gutter guards but it is amazing to me how many people do not.
I do my own gutter cleaning by walking along the edge of the roof and blowing the leaves out with my leaf blower. It has become quite an experience as I get older - and I can see paying $250 for a year's worth.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:30 PM   #33

Interesting concept I have certainly considered brewer. The drawbacks are...well...getting on roofs and my main helper is afraid of heights LOL. Big, burly guy 6-3, 250 lbs...gets woozy on a 6ft ladder!

Re:43/hr...I wish that was it. This business is actually a partnership so I personally only netted about $26/hr before taxes. And yes, it is still worth it. My goal next year is to cut my hours by 1/4 but keep the same annual pay by adding some accounts and one laborer.