Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
So have you put together a subtle short-timer's chain that you can use as office decoration without management realizing its purpose?
No I haven't Nords. Funny thing though, I don't care if Management realizes the purpose or not.
Is this an actual chain with links?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2010, 08:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2020 View Post
Congratulations on reaching your goals - relish all the emotions that come with this milestone!
Thank you Fireup. I will enjoy each day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Congratulations Dessert. I plan to FIRE in 2012, seems like a long way to go...
I was where you are this time last year. It will go by quickly. It has for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
had a great send off. Better than any watch. Fire at 55 5 years ago.
Good for you. Five years ago at 55, I didn't feel like quitting yet. Now, I feel totally different. I'm definitely ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwoodt View Post
I'm not as subtle, I have a countdown clock on my desk that has a big BON VOYAGE sign on it, and another countdown app on my computer screen, where I can see them both!
Now that's what I'm talking about! Why be subtle at this point. More like Brash is best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I felt really peculiar during my last few weeks, very nervous, sleeping very badly, not what I had expected at all. But it all quickly changed after "the day" and it felt like a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders.
Thanks Alan. I wouldn't doubt if that happens to me as well. Sometimes I do get nervous at times like that. Like you say, "it passes though".
I'll recognize that and deal with it knowing that soon, all that is going on at Mega Corp won't be my problem to stress over anymore.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:23 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

dessert, congrats. I finally got offered a buy out yesterday. Not great, but better than nothing. Still ironing out a couple details, but my last day will be sometime Jan 31 - Feb 28. Turns out my soul is for sale pretty cheap. I'll be doing a training session next week for the group in India that will be taking it over.

Love the clock, Blackwoodt!
Old 12-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
dessert, congrats. I finally got offered a buy out yesterday. Not great, but better than nothing. Still ironing out a couple details, but my last day will be sometime Jan 31 - Feb 28. !
Good for you Runningbum. There were some buyouts going around here for the past year but they all went to poor performers. I'm not fretting over that though. I'm in good shape and leaving on my terms not theirs.
You're going to have "seniority" over me in the Class of 2011.
I'll be right behind you though.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #25
Administrator

dessert, congratulations! I think you may find that adjusting to retirement is not hard. You might feel adrift for the first few weeks, but you'll get the hang of it.

RunningBum, congratulations to you, too! That's wonderful news.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
dessert, congratulations! I think you may find that adjusting to retirement is not hard. You might feel adrift for the first few weeks, but you'll get the hang of it.
Thanks W2R. Good to hear from you. We certainly had a GREAT Hurricane season this year didn't we?
I think I'll adjust without much problem. I've recently renewed an "outdoor sports" hobby that I have always loved but didn't have the time for it.
There are a lot of great places in this good old USA that I haven't seen yet so we'll be doing that too.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:51 PM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessert View Post
Thanks W2R. Good to hear from you. We certainly had a GREAT Hurricane season this year didn't we?
I think I'll adjust without much problem. I've recently renewed an "outdoor sports" hobby that I have always loved but didn't have the time for it.
There are a lot of great places in this good old USA that I haven't seen yet so we'll be doing that too.
Yes, great hurricane season for us, that's for sure. Sounds like you have some great plans for things to help with that "adrift" feeling. It didn't last too long for me and after a few days I realized that I didn't really have to be doing something all the time - - because it wasn't like I had to fit it all in before Monday. There's always tomorrow.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-04-2010, 11:24 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessert View Post
No I haven't Nords. Funny thing though, I don't care if Management realizes the purpose or not.
Is this an actual chain with links?
You probably don't have easy access to 120 feet of anchor chain, but paper clips are an acceptable substitute...

Another option is a stopped clock with its hands at 10 o'clock. As you advance it a minute for each day you finish, eventually it'll reach midnight-- and the beginning of a new day.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #29

Quote:
after a few days I realized that I didn't really have to be doing something all the time - - because it wasn't like I had to fit it all in before Monday. There's always tomorrow.
You're right W2R. I like to say "if we do it all today, then what will we do tomorrow?" I understand that completely.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:52 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
You probably don't have easy access to 120 feet of anchor chain, but paper clips are an acceptable substitute...

Another option is a stopped clock with its hands at 10 o'clock. As you advance it a minute for each day you finish, eventually it'll reach midnight-- and the beginning of a new day.
You're right Nords. There is not much anchor chain around here.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably come up with something after the first of the year.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:03 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
dessert, congrats. I finally got offered a buy out yesterday. Not great, but better than nothing. Still ironing out a couple details, but my last day will be sometime Jan 31 - Feb 28. Turns out my soul is for sale pretty cheap. I'll be doing a training session next week for the group in India that will be taking it over.

Love the clock, Blackwoodt!
Not to get all political, but training your replacement from India...... there is just something very wrong with that, and the fact that we are shipping jobs overseas, but beyond that, congrats on your retirement, and buyout!
Old 12-05-2010, 06:26 PM   #32

Quote:
Not to get all political, but training your replacement from India...... there is just something very wrong with that, and the fact that we are shipping jobs overseas, but beyond that, congrats on your retirement, and buyout!
That's the way of the world at present and hits all industries. My MegaChemical company outsourced the entire Accounts Payable function in 2009. We had about 12 folks over from Calcutta for a month to get trained. After that, every site around the world that sold products would then scan in the paper invoices at point of receiving them and they would be matched up to orders, scheduled and paid out of India. It was nothing new, some of our competitors were already doing it.

A few years earlier they did a very similar thing with handling employee expense reports worldwide. In this case the company that won the contract was a US company and expense reports from our employees worldwide, including the sites and offices in India, were having their expenses handled by a remote organization instead of their local accounting departments.

Lowest bidder wins, that is business.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:38 PM   #33
Dryer sheet aficionado

I only have 14 more days! It is almost surreal, though.....I can't really believe I won't have to go in to work anymore! Has anyone had this happen.....or is it just me that finds it hard to believe?
Old 12-05-2010, 07:48 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye View Post
I only have 14 more days! It is almost surreal, though.....I can't really believe I won't have to go in to work anymore! Has anyone had this happen.....or is it just me that finds it hard to believe?
Congratulations Skye! So tell me, "how did you determine your date for retirement?" 14 more working days or 14 days from now?
What are your plans after that?
And yes, I also feel like it's hard to believe!
Old 12-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I know, and I did struggle with that, and made my concern known.

They did offer me a different position, doing the same kind of software development on a different project in a technology I'm not familiar with. I didn't even bring it up in a meeting with my director, the guy who made the decision and also happens to be Indian (working at HQ in the US right now), and he got very defensive, or maybe offensive, that they were giving away jobs, they were creating new jobs and moving old ones. OK, whatever. If I was going to stay a few years, it probably would be a good deal for me to trade old technology for new. But at this point I'm ready to leave, and this is the push out the door I've been needing.

The training is going to be a couple of 3 hour sessions, mostly using presentations already developed. There are a couple other people that have already moved on to the new project who could give this, though not as well as me. I'm spending 3 half days to tailor the slides.

So I said I wasn't going to just give away my job without some incentive. I could've just said I wasn't going to do it and might've been dismissed (and eligible for unemployment insurance), or given a 3 month package effective immediately. Not sure exactly what would've happened. Ultimately I decided to take a slightly better package, plus 2-3 months of employment where I'll do very little other than the 3 days prep and 2 days training plus assist them in any new customer problems that come in. There might be none. I figured it was going to happen anyway, so I might as well get the best deal for myself, rather than make a point that probably wouldn't make a difference anyway. I think the director would've just passed it off as my own personal issue/problem anyway.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:30 PM   #36
Administrator

RunningBum, this must have been so unsettling, to say the least. Still, if you are financially ready to ER, this could be the best possible thing to have happen. Congratulations!

(If not, well, I am glad that at least you have some financial compensation coming to help you through the gap in employment.)

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-05-2010, 08:33 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye View Post
Big time I had it happen to me. Couldn't sleep, high blood pressure etc.

Even on the last last night before I retired I had a weird dream, couldn't sleep and ended up at work for 5am.

Final Countdown to ER
Old 12-05-2010, 09:02 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
RunningBum, this must have been so unsettling, to say the least. Still, if you are financially ready to ER, this could be the best possible thing to have happen. Congratulations!

(If not, well, I am glad that at least you have some financial compensation coming to help you through the gap in employment.)
The writing has been on the wall for a few months, thanks in part to having a friendly 1st line manager. He gave me a heads up that I was going to be told I had to switch to full time, it was just a matter of when. Then they decided to move the work to India. Funny thing, I was told I could work part time on the new project!

Anyway, I've had a lot of time to think about this and run the numbers, and I am financially ready. In fact I was really starting to suffer from the "one more year" syndrome, though I think that's up to the individual on how much padding they want, and I did want more than I had if I would've left this fall. I think it's all good, and I'll be leaving on good terms, which is a good feeling. The uncertainty of the last few months has been stressful, wondering when and how it would all happen. Now that the decision has been made, I'm not nervous about it at all, which is a good sign.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:09 PM   #39
Administrator

Quote:
The writing has been on the wall for a few months, thanks in part to having a friendly 1st line manager. He gave me a heads up that I was going to be told I had to switch to full time, it was just a matter of when. Then they decided to move the work to India. Funny thing, I was told I could work part time on the new project!

Anyway, I've had a lot of time to think about this and run the numbers, and I am financially ready. In fact I was really starting to suffer from the "one more year" syndrome, though I think that's up to the individual on how much padding they want, and I did want more than I had if I would've left this fall. I think it's all good, and I'll be leaving on good terms, which is a good feeling. The uncertainty of the last few months has been stressful, wondering when and how it would all happen. Now that the decision has been made, I'm not nervous about it at all, which is a good sign.
This is great to hear! I am so happy for you.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-05-2010, 09:12 PM   #40

Quote:

I'm sure you are going to be very pleased to be free from it all. Sit back and enjoy the ride.