Update on my pending RE

dessert, congratulations! I think you may find that adjusting to retirement is not hard. You might feel adrift for the first few weeks, but you'll get the hang of it. :D
Thanks W2R. Good to hear from you. We certainly had a GREAT Hurricane season this year didn't we?
I think I'll adjust without much problem. I've recently renewed an "outdoor sports" hobby that I have always loved but didn't have the time for it.
There are a lot of great places in this good old USA that I haven't seen yet so we'll be doing that too.

Thanks W2R. Good to hear from you. We certainly had a GREAT Hurricane season this year didn't we?
I think I'll adjust without much problem. I've recently renewed an "outdoor sports" hobby that I have always loved but didn't have the time for it.
There are a lot of great places in this good old USA that I haven't seen yet so we'll be doing that too.

Yes, great hurricane season for us, that's for sure. Sounds like you have some great plans for things to help with that "adrift" feeling. It didn't last too long for me and after a few days I realized that I didn't really have to be doing something all the time - - because it wasn't like I had to fit it all in before Monday. There's always tomorrow. :LOL:

No I haven't Nords. Funny thing though, I don't care if Management realizes the purpose or not.:LOL:
Is this an actual chain with links?
You probably don't have easy access to 120 feet of anchor chain, but paper clips are an acceptable substitute...

Another option is a stopped clock with its hands at 10 o'clock. As you advance it a minute for each day you finish, eventually it'll reach midnight-- and the beginning of a new day.

after a few days I realized that I didn't really have to be doing something all the time - - because it wasn't like I had to fit it all in before Monday. There's always tomorrow. :LOL:
You're right W2R. I like to say "if we do it all today, then what will we do tomorrow?" I understand that completely.

You probably don't have easy access to 120 feet of anchor chain, but paper clips are an acceptable substitute...

Another option is a stopped clock with its hands at 10 o'clock. As you advance it a minute for each day you finish, eventually it'll reach midnight-- and the beginning of a new day.

You're right Nords. There is not much anchor chain around here.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably come up with something after the first of the year.

dessert, congrats. I finally got offered a buy out yesterday. Not great, but better than nothing. Still ironing out a couple details, but my last day will be sometime Jan 31 - Feb 28. Turns out my soul is for sale pretty cheap. I'll be doing a training session next week for the group in India that will be taking it over.

Love the clock, Blackwoodt!

Not to get all political, but training your replacement from India...... there is just something very wrong with that, and the fact that we are shipping jobs overseas, but beyond that, congrats on your retirement, and buyout! :flowers:

Not to get all political, but training your replacement from India...... there is just something very wrong with that, and the fact that we are shipping jobs overseas, but beyond that, congrats on your retirement, and buyout! :flowers:

That's the way of the world at present and hits all industries. My MegaChemical company outsourced the entire Accounts Payable function in 2009. We had about 12 folks over from Calcutta for a month to get trained. After that, every site around the world that sold products would then scan in the paper invoices at point of receiving them and they would be matched up to orders, scheduled and paid out of India. It was nothing new, some of our competitors were already doing it.

A few years earlier they did a very similar thing with handling employee expense reports worldwide. In this case the company that won the contract was a US company and expense reports from our employees worldwide, including the sites and offices in India, were having their expenses handled by a remote organization instead of their local accounting departments.

Lowest bidder wins, that is business.

I only have 14 more days! It is almost surreal, though.....I can't really believe I won't have to go in to work anymore! Has anyone had this happen.....or is it just me that finds it hard to believe?

I only have 14 more days! It is almost surreal, though.....I can't really believe I won't have to go in to work anymore! Has anyone had this happen.....or is it just me that finds it hard to believe?
Congratulations Skye! So tell me, "how did you determine your date for retirement?" 14 more working days or 14 days from now?
What are your plans after that?
And yes, I also feel like it's hard to believe!

I know, and I did struggle with that, and made my concern known.

They did offer me a different position, doing the same kind of software development on a different project in a technology I'm not familiar with. I didn't even bring it up in a meeting with my director, the guy who made the decision and also happens to be Indian (working at HQ in the US right now), and he got very defensive, or maybe offensive, that they were giving away jobs, they were creating new jobs and moving old ones. OK, whatever. If I was going to stay a few years, it probably would be a good deal for me to trade old technology for new. But at this point I'm ready to leave, and this is the push out the door I've been needing.

The training is going to be a couple of 3 hour sessions, mostly using presentations already developed. There are a couple other people that have already moved on to the new project who could give this, though not as well as me. I'm spending 3 half days to tailor the slides.

So I said I wasn't going to just give away my job without some incentive. I could've just said I wasn't going to do it and might've been dismissed (and eligible for unemployment insurance), or given a 3 month package effective immediately. Not sure exactly what would've happened. Ultimately I decided to take a slightly better package, plus 2-3 months of employment where I'll do very little other than the 3 days prep and 2 days training plus assist them in any new customer problems that come in. There might be none. I figured it was going to happen anyway, so I might as well get the best deal for myself, rather than make a point that probably wouldn't make a difference anyway. I think the director would've just passed it off as my own personal issue/problem anyway.

RunningBum, this must have been so unsettling, to say the least. Still, if you are financially ready to ER, this could be the best possible thing to have happen. Congratulations! :)

(If not, well, I am glad that at least you have some financial compensation coming to help you through the gap in employment.)

RunningBum, this must have been so unsettling, to say the least. Still, if you are financially ready to ER, this could be the best possible thing to have happen. Congratulations! :)

(If not, well, I am glad that at least you have some financial compensation coming to help you through the gap in employment.)
The writing has been on the wall for a few months, thanks in part to having a friendly 1st line manager. He gave me a heads up that I was going to be told I had to switch to full time, it was just a matter of when. Then they decided to move the work to India. Funny thing, I was told I could work part time on the new project!

Anyway, I've had a lot of time to think about this and run the numbers, and I am financially ready. In fact I was really starting to suffer from the "one more year" syndrome, though I think that's up to the individual on how much padding they want, and I did want more than I had if I would've left this fall. I think it's all good, and I'll be leaving on good terms, which is a good feeling. The uncertainty of the last few months has been stressful, wondering when and how it would all happen. Now that the decision has been made, I'm not nervous about it at all, which is a good sign.

The writing has been on the wall for a few months, thanks in part to having a friendly 1st line manager. He gave me a heads up that I was going to be told I had to switch to full time, it was just a matter of when. Then they decided to move the work to India. Funny thing, I was told I could work part time on the new project!

Anyway, I've had a lot of time to think about this and run the numbers, and I am financially ready. In fact I was really starting to suffer from the "one more year" syndrome, though I think that's up to the individual on how much padding they want, and I did want more than I had if I would've left this fall. I think it's all good, and I'll be leaving on good terms, which is a good feeling. The uncertainty of the last few months has been stressful, wondering when and how it would all happen. Now that the decision has been made, I'm not nervous about it at all, which is a good sign.

:dance: :clap: This is great to hear! I am so happy for you. :D

I'm sure you are going to be very pleased to be free from it all. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Not that you're counting though :LOL:

What I'm seeing too is that all of the Management here is new. None of them know the employees that have been here for 33+ years, nor what we have done to make this place the successful money maker that it is.
I keep getting a new Boss every time that I turn around and then you have to start over with building relationships and trust between the both of us etc. etc.
When I think about it, most of the people that I will leave behind here won't be missed much at all. We just don't know each other well enough for that. I think that is a good thing though because that will make it easier to transition with less regrets.

One of the big problems at my previous big megacorp was that after 18 years, the new management they brought in put a stigma on old timers. The newbies thought they were "real" management, even though it was mostly b.s. So I knew for me it was time to move on. And now they are struggling with high paid bloat and low growth. :D

14 more working days......Jan. 1, 2011 is the actual first day of retirement.....but school has vacation from 12/24th on....so the last day of work will be 12/23!

What will I do....everything! God willing! I sing in a band so I hope to get better at guitar and keyboard, find a horse to ride....I had my own for years,....and fix up my house and boat! Lots of projects I just didn't have the time or energy to put into, but now, hopefully, I will....and I still have 2 minor children, that are with me every other week, so I can be a stay at home Mom for a bit! I am looking forward to less stress....but, it is still a bit daunting.....like I am really leaving one life and about to begin another!

One of the big problems at my previous big megacorp was that after 18 years, the new management they brought in put a stigma on old timers. :D
I can't say that I feel that way about the new management but the previous management regimes actually cared about the employees while these new guys just want to know where and when their next promotion will be, and what will we do to help them get there. It's just too obvious to everyone.

14 more working days......Jan. 1, 2011 is the actual first day of retirement.....but school has vacation from 12/24th on....so the last day of work will be 12/23!
....but, it is still a bit daunting.....like I am really leaving one life and about to begin another!
Well, you really are leaving one life and beginning another. That should energize you and help you get up early each day to see what it brings.
Congratulations to you. You will be the first person to join the "Class of 2011". I guess that makes you president of the class. :flowers:

Get up early?.......Well, Maybe,....but I thought maybe the first thing I would do, is sleep for a week!

Well, one more step taken this week. We interviewed the applicants for my position and have selected that person. Hopefully we will start working together around the first of January. That should keep me busy until March because we have a lot of ground to cover and start a big project at the same time. I'm on my way.........out.:cool:

A couple of things to update on today. First, today is 99 days to go. Down to a simple two-digit count.
Second, my replacement is ID'd and has accepted the position. We will start transition on Feb. 1st.
I start vacation tomorrow and will resume the "**rking routine" on January 3rd.
Things are looking up and I'm on my way.......out. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom