Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was hoping that I would not have to be bothered with setting goals again this year but guess again.....I have to write goals for my discipline group and then this will be cascaded down and used in their individual goals. Of course the goals have to be aligned with the VP goals, and the Site GM, and the Department Manager etc. What fun I'm having for the last time....NOT
So far I don't intend to write "my personal goals" but I might have to actually write them for my replacement. That will be interesting. I told him that he will "walk on water" this year if I have to write his goals.

On top of all that, it is becoming obvious that there is concern about draining 33+ years of experience from me to be absorbed by my replacement. I sense another spreadsheet coming. and I might not be able to avoid it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2011, 07:21 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

i just finished attending my last departmental retreat...

Old 01-12-2011, 07:59 AM   #63

Here's how I'm going out:
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Dilbert.bmp (355.8 KB, 86 views)
Old 01-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessert View Post
I was hoping that I would not have to be bothered with setting goals again this year but guess again.....I have to write goals for my discipline group and then this will be cascaded down and used in their individual goals. Of course the goals have to be aligned with the VP goals, and the Site GM, and the Department Manager etc. What fun I'm having for the last time....NOT
Can you prorate the cascading goals by the ratios between their salaries and the VP's salary?

That'd "normalize" the effort/$$ goal across the entire company!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:43 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Can you prorate the cascading goals by the ratios between their salaries and the VP's salary?

That'd "normalize" the effort/$$ goal across the entire company!

The first one that sends me a spreadsheet for that one I promise I'll use it for the good of all the fine w**king people that I leave behind there.
By the way, I got the word today that I have to have an "explicit documented transition". I wonder if that would have to include proper grammar too? What fun.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #66

Ah, its these threads which remind me why I retired. Sorry, but thanks for brightening my day.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:11 AM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
Ah, its these threads which remind me why I retired. Sorry, but thanks for brightening my day.
Agreed - brings back memories of my last performance review after I'd notified boss that I was retiring. He still insisted on going over "areas needing improvement" and "future action items".
Old 01-13-2011, 12:10 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

sometimes they just don't get it... do they?
Old 01-13-2011, 12:15 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Agreed - brings back memories of my last performance review after I'd notified boss that I was retiring. He still insisted on going over "areas needing improvement" and "future action items".
Funny! I told my boss that he needn't waste his time. Thankfully, he listened.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #70

"areas needing improvement" - improve communication at all levels.... I'm retiring, my last day is X. Is that clear and concise enough boss?

"future action items" - update 360 feedback with examples of how I wasted my time, can the performance review for retirees be streamlined to not waste my valuable time? I have some web surfing to complete before going home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Agreed - "areas needing improvement" and "future action items".
Old 01-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
Glad to provide the service flyfish. It is good to hear from people who have "been there, done that". I find it amusing now and I know when I read about others going through it later, I'll see it the way you do too.
Now let me get back to my spreadsheet titled "Explicit Transition 2011"
Old 01-13-2011, 09:29 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyduke View Post
sometimes they just don't get it... do they?
I've just been asked to spend four unpaid hours from 5 to 9 pm on visioning for an initiative that will not take place until after my departure. Duh!
Old 01-14-2011, 12:21 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Don't you have a previous commitment that prevents you from attending?? Like retirement..
Old 02-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #74

Ok, with 52 days to go it's time for an update.
Today I mailed off my "paperwork" in order to collect my pension and set up the benefits. That might not sound like much but there was a bit of anxiety when the mail box closed. It lasted about 2 seconds as I walked back to the house.
Things are really going well as I am preparing all of my "w**k" for handoff.
There were a couple of things that I was anxious about and they have worked out in my favor so my attitude is still good. I will be training my replacement starting next week. I will slowly start backing out of the front line and eventually just be an observer. Right about that time I might just come in late and leave early each day.
I figure it comes with the position.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:43 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessert View Post
Right about that time I might just come in late and leave early each day.
I figure it comes with the position.
52 days left and you're already starting with the "Whadda they gonna do, force me to retire?!?" attitude?

That sounds about right. Congratulations!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:33 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
52 days left and you're already starting with the "Whadda they gonna do, force me to retire?!?" attitude?

That sounds about right. Congratulations!
Hey Thanks Nords. Sounds like I'm right on track and doing all the things that a "2 digit midget" is supposed to be doing.
Today I had a discussion with my boss because She sent a meeting notice to the Team Leads for finalizing Goals.
I said "about that meeting, you know that I'm not setting goals right?" She laughed and said "yes but the system needs some words in the right places so that we get "100% compliance" on having it done". I just copied and pasted a document in the space and now I'm compliant. That task was very gratifying and I felt such a sense of accomplishment when it was done. I feel naughty.......
Old 02-10-2011, 02:13 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

IMHO your "Goal" is to retire soon.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #78

With 30 days to go, I thought I would check in with an update.
Since I posted last, my replacement is on site and we are transitioning successfully IMHO. Strange thing happened the other day.....I got a surprising raise starting today. That's one month of a larger paycheck but more important is that the vacation I sell back is at the new rate so that will be quite nice. We also received a nice bonus paid out in two weeks. Good timing on all of that but I planned it out and that is why I stayed through this month.
The Admin Associate is asking me what I want for a parting gift and what kind of celebration I would like etc. Common is to have cake, Ice cream and cola with a possible "roast" if someone wants to pick on me. Everyone on site is invited and these events are sometimes quite entertaining. We'll see I guess.
Additionally, we can do a nice dinner out with close family and my Manager and spouse or a lunch with our work group on-site or a barbeque dinner for work group and family including beer since it is off-site.
I've got some choices to make and I need to put some thought to that instead of working and transitioning all day long. I still can't believe all of this is happening.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #79
gone traveling

Look forward to the 31-day update from today...!
Old 03-03-2011, 06:16 AM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

ahhhhh Desert... it is all tjey said it was cracked up to be... one day of being FIRE'd was worth all the pain of getting there