Update on my pending RE

52 days left and you're already starting with the "Whadda they gonna do, force me to retire?!?" attitude?

That sounds about right. Congratulations!
Hey Thanks Nords. Sounds like I'm right on track and doing all the things that a "2 digit midget" is supposed to be doing.
Today I had a discussion with my boss because She sent a meeting notice to the Team Leads for finalizing Goals.
I said "about that meeting, you know that I'm not setting goals right?" She laughed and said "yes but the system needs some words in the right places so that we get "100% compliance" on having it done". I just copied and pasted a document in the space and now I'm compliant. That task was very gratifying and I felt such a sense of accomplishment when it was done. :LOL: I feel naughty.......:ROFLMAO:

With 30 days to go, I thought I would check in with an update.
Since I posted last, my replacement is on site and we are transitioning successfully IMHO. Strange thing happened the other day.....I got a surprising raise starting today. That's one month of a larger paycheck but more important is that the vacation I sell back is at the new rate so that will be quite nice. We also received a nice bonus paid out in two weeks. Good timing on all of that but I planned it out and that is why I stayed through this month.
The Admin Associate is asking me what I want for a parting gift and what kind of celebration I would like etc. Common is to have cake, Ice cream and cola with a possible "roast" if someone wants to pick on me. Everyone on site is invited and these events are sometimes quite entertaining. We'll see I guess.
Additionally, we can do a nice dinner out with close family and my Manager and spouse or a lunch with our work group on-site or a barbeque dinner for work group and family including beer since it is off-site.
I've got some choices to make and I need to put some thought to that instead of working and transitioning all day long. I still can't believe all of this is happening.

ahhhhh Desert... it is all tjey said it was cracked up to be... one day of being FIRE'd was worth all the pain of getting there

ahhhhh Desert... it is all tjey said it was cracked up to be... one day of being FIRE'd was worth all the pain of getting there
Congratulations to you heyduke! Your comment is consistent with others who are telling me to "jump in" and never look back. Glad you are enjoying your free time. Today the announcement of my RE went to the entire site. I've got a work day party scheduled later this month with cake, drinks etc. Sometimes these become quite hilarious. We'll see if anyone can come up with any dirt on me.:LOL:

Well, looky here....I'm a "one digit midget" now. 8 days to go.

My transition is more difficult than I thought it would be. Maybe that's a good thing because it keeps the time passing quickly.
Today was a 1.5 hour meeting to review the process and make adjustments if necessary. Well that turned into two additional meetings to update job roles and something else about project ownership. Not only that but I have to put more meat into the documentation part of this. Well I'll add some more to it but only for 8 more days. Whatever is there then will just have to do.
I'm feeling more glad about my decision with each passing day. Hard to explain unless you've been there I guess. I'm sure by some standards I have it easy and I know that, so I'm not complaining.....simply blogging I guess. :angel:

Congratulations. You are not only a single digit midget, but also you have the right attitude. They have had plenty of time to coordinate getting everything done for the transition. The fact that they haven't should not be your concern.

Soon all of this will be behind you, just as you dreamed and planned. Good! :D

Hey dessert - I am a 1-digit midget as well - after today, 7 more days - but my days are spread waaaaaaay out to the end of April. It's OK, though, I will enjoy my one-day-per-week in April!! And I'm like you, documenting the heck out of everything I know. Life will go on, but they will miss me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations. You are not only a single digit midget, but also you have the right attitude. They have had plenty of time to coordinate getting everything done for the transition. The fact that they haven't should not be your concern.

Ditto to the "plenty of time", seems like that is always the case whether it be retirement or just leaving, the company wants more time, more documentation, etc.

Congratulations.
Thanks W2R! That's why I'm not concerned. I really don't understand why everything has to be written down so explicitely. I have everything documented but not enough detail in it. I'll make another attempt and I have a feeling that it will be good enough at that point because my body language will probably say that.:LOL:

Hey dessert - I am a 1-digit midget as well - after today, 7 more days - but my days are spread waaaaaaay out to the end of April.
Hi cj. I saw that you were retiring soon so congratulations to you as well. We are probably going through a lot of the same thoughts and emotions at this time. Looks like you have some vacation to use up but I am selling mine back so March 31st is it for me.

Ditto to the "plenty of time", seems like that is always the case whether it be retirement or just leaving, the company wants more time, more documentation, etc.

What...me worry?? I can do it standing on my head for 7 more days!:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't understand why everything has to be written down so explicitely.
Because your bosses are afraid that if they call you to ask questions after you've retired, you'll cackle wickedly and hang up on them...

Because your bosses are afraid that if they call you to ask questions after you've retired, you'll cackle wickedly and hang up on them...

As you should! :LOL:

Remember the sign so many people post in their cubicles? I think it is something like,
"Lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part!"

I told my replacement to expect a "delay" on every phone call....and some may seem like "forever". :)

As you should! :LOL:

Remember the sign so many people post in their cubicles? I think it is something like,
"Lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part!"
Actually, everyone is impressed that my replacement has been in place for a couple of months. That's a little unusual around here. Not the norm for sure.
With only 3 more working days left they better schedule those two meetings I mentioned ASAP. Today I put the final touches on the "explicitely documented spreadsheet" including action items that don't have my name assigned to any of them. :LOL: I also put together a pretty good powerpoint presentation to use at my cake and coffee party this Wednesday. I think it will be a hit with everyone.

Well, tomorrow is Wednesday and my "last real working day". I can't believe that I have an important meeting scheduled through lunch so I can't even enjoy lunch tomorrow. (I'm not complaining though!!)
At 3:00 PM I'm having a company get together with cake and ice cream etc. I'm expected to say something so I put together a power point presentation that will be entertaining.
On Thursday I go in early for a team breakfast and then the rest of the day is up to me to entertain myself. I'll go to the production meeting and get acknowledged because it's my last day and say a few words there. After that I'll go around shaking hands and BSing until I just leave and head home for the last time. I still can't believe that it is happening.

Well, tomorrow is Wednesday and my "last real working day". I can't believe that I have an important meeting scheduled through lunch so I can't even enjoy lunch tomorrow. (I'm not complaining though!!)
At 3:00 PM I'm having a company get together with cake and ice cream etc. I'm expected to say something so I put together a power point presentation that will be entertaining.
On Thursday I go in early for a team breakfast and then the rest of the day is up to me to entertain myself. I'll go to the production meeting and get acknowledged because it's my last day and say a few words there. After that I'll go around shaking hands and BSing until I just leave and head home for the last time. I still can't believe that it is happening.

Congratulations, dessert! Think of RE as the "dessert" on the meal of your w*rking life. :flowers:

Congrats Dessert. Enjoy your dessert each and every day!

Shouldn't your replacement be adding to the notes. I would provide what I think is right but shouldn't the replacement add as needed to accomplish the task when s/he is performing it? At least that's how I viewed it as I transitioned to new tasks/projects, etc. In a few days, it won't matter.

That cake will taste so delicious to you at 3 p.m. today!!! No dessert can be more delicious than the cake served in your retirement party! Congratulations! I am so happy for you and proud of you.

Congrats! It has been fun reading this thread today. I have been away from the boards for awhile. You can officially take a deep breath after today!

Back
Top Bottom