Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-12-2014, 01:47 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittingduck View Post
Mine are not up or down - they are sideways! I have surveyed the house and found that some are to the left and some to the right - no discernible pattern. Seems to have worked for 30 years... I guess i'll put this in the "Oh Well" bucket.
I generally install outlets ground up, and for the sideways ones, neutral up!

This all came from old Navy training, plus electrical work as a teenager apprenticing for my dad, and the exciting experience of seeing a metal outlet plate with a loose screw drop onto the hot pins on a couple of plugs. *BANG*

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2014, 02:46 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm installing new circuits/outlets and also replacing our existing two-prong receptacles with three-prong ones. I'm putting them with the ground down, though I see the cited advantage of the other way. Maybe I'll install those in my shop and garage (hanging metal tools, etc) with the ground up.

No metal faceplates.

Back wiring: I'm now a fan after many years of insisting on the around-the-screw terminals. But, the poked-in wires must be secured by a screw, not by some spring-loaded cheapo prong. If tightened down with a screw the wire is clamped firmly in place and seems to be very secure. Doing things this way is a lot faster. Or maybe I'm just getting lazy.

And while we're on the subject: A pox on electricians who won't leave enough wire in the box to get the device in and out with room to work.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

All mine are ground up, which is a PITA. DW doesn't like them because the xmas decorative nightlights won't work.

I've heard the arguments for doing this before and was inspired to search the NEC for the "requirement" and found none.

Just too much trouble to "correct" IMHO. If I ever have a house built this will definitely be one of the details I specify, along with the bathroom light switches being arranged with the light near the door and the fan away from the door, not the other way 'round or with each bathroom different. (or is that another thread?)
Old 03-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromit View Post
My home had every outlet with the ground on top. After a number of years of putting up with it, I finally rotated all of the outlets...
Every one in my house has ground on top too, and when I finished the basement, I put them all in ground on top...I figured they knew what they were doing...I sure didn't!
Old 03-12-2014, 04:34 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Same as some earlier posters, I have only seen the ground prong "down": in all the homes and commercial places such as hotels that I have been to. I have stayed in a couple of local hospitals, and if the ground prong was installed "up" in these places, I am sure I would have noticed.

So, what gives? Do we have different standards on different sides of the Mississipi?

However, the above does not bother me as much as the following.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Gonna try turning the wall plug... but... in your picture....
Note that the correct/wrong pictures both have the wider part of the prong on the left... If it were just put in upside down, wouldn't the wide part of the plug prong be on the other side?
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I didn't notice that, poor choice of pictures on my part. But aside from the picture, are your wider prongs on the "wrong side?" If not, you can just flip them as described.

Do they really make outlets with the wider neutral prong on the right-hand side when the ground prong is installed down? That was shown in the above photo! With such "reverse" neutral prong, one could not follow the wiring standard as shown in the post quoted below.

I have never seen such "reverse" wide prong outlets, nor appliance plugs that would match that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Old 03-12-2014, 04:39 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Grounds?!!--we don't need no stinkin' grounds!!
My house was bulit in '59' and was all 2 prong outlets. I've replaced several over the years, and the wiring installed was 3-wire, so I've been able to ground all the new installs. Problem is, guy who originally wired house cut the grounds real short to keep them out of the way, and I only have enough room/wire to hook the ground up if the receptacle is upside down.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:09 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
And while we're on the subject: A pox on electricians who won't leave enough wire in the box to get the device in and out with room to work.
My father was a electrician and that was one of his pet peeves as well. He worked full time for the power company but did small side jobs for what he called "beer money". When someone wanted a new ceiling light put in for example, he'd leave a few feet of extra cable in the attic in case they wanted to move it later.

I went with him as a helper on most of those jobs. The first dollar I ever made was pulling cable in a space he couldn't fit into.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:59 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Flip your house over.... problem solved.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:20 AM   #49

In our house, the grounds are on the bottom. When I built my workshop, I installed the plugs with the grounds up because I thought I might be more likely to drop something across a cord that was partially pulled, etc. Both ways passed inspection.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:37 AM   #50

I put one of these surge protectors in the wall behind a 55 inch plasma monitor in a home theater several years ago. I installed it "upside down" because the writing for the surge protector would have been upside down if I turned it over.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Here are a couple compromise solutions:

Take your pick!

-ERD50
Attached Images
File Type: jpg duplex-oulet-003.jpg (86.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 03-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

That couldn't be! Must be a phony edited picture.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:53 PM   #53

I've learned a lot about outlets today ! More than I learned at w*rk, that much is for sure !
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I've actually seen a product sample of one of these. I believe the intent is to accommodate two "wall wart" power supplies where the power supply is wider than the outlet with its prongs offset to one side.

Something like this. Although they don't always have ground prongs, they are usually polarized which also prevents simply rotating the thing 180 deg.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:19 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
I've actually seen a product sample of one of these. I believe the intent is to accommodate two "wall wart" power supplies where the power supply is wider than the outlet with its prongs offset to one side.
I did see some like that once and my reaction was "Huh? Why?"

Your explanation makes sense.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:59 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Yes, I edited that - compromise is good, no?

But I have seen some power strips with different arrangements of plugs to allow space each way. My phony socket on the right would be good when you have to plug two right angle 3-prong plugs into one duplex.

For the OP - here's an example of CO detector done right. The plug rotates:

Kidde KN-COEG-3 Nighthawk Plug-In Carbon Monoxide and Explosive Gas Alarm with Battery Backup - Amazon.com

Quote:
Convenient Mounting Options

The KN-COEG-3 Nighthawk has a low-profile design that makes it suitable for any room in your home. The detector can be plugged into any standard A/C outlet; it's plug can be snapped into the back of the unit and can be rotated so the alarm remains vertical, independent of whether the electrical socket is mounted vertically or horizontally.
Now that's the kind of thinking that got us to the moon (and back safely, can't forget that part!). And assuming ti rotates a full 180, and not just 90 (hard to tell from their description) Was NASA good with grammar (see the its - it's error in the quote).

-ERD50