Join Early Retirement Today

Urban Wildlife
Old 05-05-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
gone traveling

Urban Wildlife

Saw a coyote in the desert bordering my back yard a few days ago, snapped this picture before he took off.... Wondered what other urban wildlife the folks on this forum are seeing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0004.jpg (755.5 KB, 12 views)
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We got a lot of ducks around here. Plenty of little man made ponds and lakes. Pretty neat seeing the mama's drag around the little ones. No coyotes though!
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ducks, geese, other waterfowl, turtles, birds, squirrels, deer, great blue heron, hawks, snakes, rabbits, beavers, possums, foxes. All in 1/3 acre in an urban area on a lake.

This time of year is pretty neat with all the baby ducklings and goslings trailing along behind their parents on the lake. I wish I had a telephoto lens a few days ago - a family of ducklings, a family of goslings, and a great blue heron were all lounging on a tiny peninsula sticking out into the lake from my backyard all within 15 feet of each other. Picture perfect as they say.

Last night we went out on a walk around the neighborhood with our kids. They wanted to go to the park but it was too late and about to rain, so we distracted them by telling them to look for animals instead. All we saw out of the ordinary was a rabbit. But the kids loved it. And completely forgot about the park.

No coyotes though...
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Great pic!

We often have coyotes trotting thru the neighborhood, sometimes in pairs.

Before I moved to Arizona I'd never seen one, didn't realize how small they were. Sometimes I have evil thoughts about the neighbors cat that poops in our yard and it's relationship in the suburban the food chain to the coyote.

Our other issues are bark scorpions, used to find mainly outside on the block wall fence but sometimes inside. I've never been stung but my wife has gotten in twice... once reaching inside the washing machine and once putting on a shirt.

I vow to someday catch one of the black widows we in their messy webs and put it in a jar with scorpion, but probably not a fair fight since widow is an trap and ambush predator whereas scorpion is built to fight head on.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:13 PM   #5

Attached is one of the bark scorpions in question.

We briefly enslaved it in a terrarium, until it became winter and too difficult to catch crickets to feed it so let it go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cooper.jpg (73.4 KB, 4 views)
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Saw a coyote in the desert bordering my back yard a few days ago, snapped this picture before he took off.... Wondered what the other urban folks on this forum are seeing?
Cool picture! I've seen many coyotes when visiting my family in Kansas. Also lots of jackalopes
Old 05-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Same as Fuego, but throw in gators near the water hazards, ibis pecking away at the neighborhood lawns, owls, hawks, wood storks.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #8

The other morning I stepped out on my front porch to see a red fox trotting down the street -- I'm in a city neighborhood. And a day to two ago I was out walking and saw a hawk that had just gotten a small snake.

Last week I was driving in the foothills and saw the first wild turkey I've ever seen. That's a big bird!

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Same as Fuego, but throw in gators near the water hazards, ibis pecking away at the neighborhood lawns, owls, hawks, wood storks.
Forgot to mention the owls and hawks and other raptors. And catfish. The latter was apparently dropped by a hawk on our front lawn. Mmmm... catfish.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #10

In the suburbs of Los Angeles I frequently see possums before dawn. My friend's dog catches several each year in her backyard. Many lizards sunning on my concrete walls. Black widows under debris. A hawk used to sit on the roof near my office (before retirement), scanning the cemetary across the street, diving off on occasion.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:43 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Two foxes have been running down our street, and we believe a skunk is now living disturbingly close to our house. Perhaps the foxes will get hungry enough to take out the skunk.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:50 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I live in the suburbs, but have a small (60 foot diameter) pond. Yesterday I saw a large (14" or so shell) snapper on the lawn next to the pond. I ran down from the house and was able to intercept him long enough to get a good look, but not a picture. Also saw a coyote and a red fox in the same area - I think they want the wood ducks.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:17 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Really not much for me here in town. But recently I've been seeing a lot of raccoons. This morning, being a commute-to-Austin morning before sunup, I drove toward a big fat coon which was just standing there in the road.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:20 PM   #14

I'm in Orange County, CA and I see at least a few hawks and turkey vultures everyday right off the freeway. Possums go through our yard on a regular basis (we just found a dead one under some wood last week!) and we have had coyote warnings in our area because of cats disappearing. There's also the occasional bobcat sighting and the very rare mountain lion sighting in the hiking/biking open space areas. Tons of egrets and a few blue herons out in the wetlands close to our house. Bunnies in the parks.

Oh, and rattlesnakes too. My coworker who leaves close to a canyon sees rattlesnakes quite frequently.

It's all pretty amazing to see this much wildlife in the middle of dense suburbia.
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #15

Echo Rich in Tampa as I live in the burbs. Don't see much around here except for hawks and sand hill cranes. The cranes I can't even call wild life with a straight face. They walk around the malls looking for handouts and are all over our neighborhood. Love the babies and still haven't figured out how they get those long legs folded up inside the egg. I see most wildlife on the golf courses such as gators, fox, eagles, osprey and a couple varities of hawks.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:51 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Miss Country Girl here sees it all. Does it count if I drive to a small city and then see wildlife at home?
Just kidding.
The local critter collection consists of: whitetail deer, red fox, hawks, eagles, turkey vultures, huge flocks of crows, wild turkeys, herons, gulls, wild ducks, Canadian geese, rabbits, constantly hear but do not see coy dogs, chipmunks, squirrels, moles, woodchucks, skunks, porcupines, raccoons, field mice, garden snakes, bull frogs, toads, salamanders, bats (living in 2 bathouses I built), dairy cows , feral cats. Whew!
No elephants, giraffes or aardvarks.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:57 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I live in the suburbs, but have a small (60 foot diameter) pond. Yesterday I saw a large (14" or so shell) snapper on the lawn next to the pond. I ran down from the house and was able to intercept him long enough to get a good look, but not a picture.
We see these quite often. We have had a few of these guys get stuck in our yard somehow. It always requires careful removal with a shovel. These guys are usually 14-18" and have tails 12-18" long and necks probably 6" long, so removal with anything longer than a shovel could result in serious injury and/or dismemberment. It is amazing how heavy they are - probably 10 pounds. And amazing how delicious they are...

One turtle even tried to make her nest underneath my kids' swing set until I scared her off. Here's some pics of these scary beasts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0561.JPG (195.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0564.jpg (855.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 05-05-2009, 11:58 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Deers, squirrels, raccoons, rabbits, chipmunks, mice, armadillos, eagles, snakes, frogs, lizards, scorpions, bobcats, coyotes, possums, black widows, and all kinds of birds (woodpeckers, cardinals, morning doves, blue jays, etc...). I live in suburbia, but my house is right on the edge of a huge, heavily wooded nature preserve.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:13 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

On the metropolitan freeways, I often encounter urban wildlife on SUVs speeding and zigzagging across lanes.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:16 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

We live inthe suburbs, but have lots of animals around. We feed the birds and squirrels, have a good time watching the chipmunks, and have an occasional groundhog in a neighbor's yard. We're big groundhog fans and are trying to figure out how to get one to set up housekeeping in a corner of our lot.

Biggest events lately:
- We've seen a reticulated woodpecker in opur backyard twice in the last month. That's a big bird. (File photo attached)

- Yesterday when I was outside a big six-point buck came running past me through the neighbor's yard. He hopped the low fence like it was nothing and was on his way. There was nothing quiet about him, the noise of his approach was what alerted me to the whole thing. It was about 11 AM, I was surpised he was dashing about in mid day like that.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote