Join Early Retirement Today

US Census J*b? Yes/No
Old 04-25-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
US Census J*b? Yes/No

I was having a conversation the other day with an old ERd acquaintance that I had not spoken with in a while and he mentioned that he was currently a supervisor of some type with the Census folks. It sounded like fun to me (read: not really like w**k) and it would be interesting to actually know how this once per decade event worked and how many federal bucks were wasted, consumed invested in this constitutionally required event. The pay sucks ($12/hour or so), but you get 55 cents per mile for travel.

Anyone else here involved with having a temp j*b with the DOC census effort? Would you recommend it/not recommend it?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a recent thread on it:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...int-41520.html

As for me, no thank you, I'm retired.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
As for me, no thank you, I'm retired.
Retired or not, the thought of knocking on some stranger's door, saying "Hi, I'm from the govt. and I'd like to ask you some highly personal questions" just doesn't do it for me. Investing in equities already provides me with more than enough risk...
Old 04-25-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Retired or not, the thought of knocking on some stranger's door, saying "Hi, I'm from the govt. and I'd like to ask you some highly personal questions" just doesn't do it for me. Investing in equities already provides me with more than enough risk...
The guy that I spoke to had some very interesting tales to tell about how folks in his rural area of Medina County Texas were very distrustful of him and his hand-held computer. And they are just trying to find out where the hell people are actually living, not even doing the actual census yet...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Old 04-25-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
The guy that I spoke to had some very interesting tales to tell about how folks in his rural area of Medina County Texas were very distrustful of him and his hand-held computer. And they are just trying to find out where the hell people are actually living, not even doing the actual census yet...
They want to know where you live!

Very dangerous work in some parts.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A former co-worker at Mega-Corp was doing some of this 2 years ago in Phoenix. I would pass on working midnight shift at the homeless shelters and on the streets to help get another Representative Seat for the State of AZ or a few more Federal $'s for the States coffers. They also took teams of 2 to 4 and walked the city & county parks while the moon was shining! In smaller towns and more rural areas it might not be quite so bad.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:25 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I've heard about lots of Census jobs coming open. If I were inclined to work for DOC, I'd look for something that didn't involve direct contact with the public.

I used to travel to all parts of Washington, DC in my past life. I intentionally drove a beat up old car with a manual transmission and a rusty dent in the fender to reduce the chance of car theft. I remember waiting for the drug dealers to complete their business before walking by.

I'd rather not do work that takes me into those neighborhoods again. As said by others, it may not be too bad in a rural area. Even so, country folk can be mighty distrustful of strangers. Heck, I'm getting more distrustful of strangers these days.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:38 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

My little old Mom did census work - know she was well into her 60s or 70s when she did. But she was pretty fearless/trusting in the goodness of others - did trips to the Amazon & China, stints in Mexico, homesteaded in Alaska, etc. No one bopped her on the head or took her lunch money though she didn't act like any kind of tough person. Luck? Karma?
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:41 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I highly considered it because of how well(IMHO) it pays for part time w*rk but decided I w*rk enough and don't want to burn out. An aunt of mine thought about it as well since she's retired and has the time and thought it would be interesting w*rk but she decided that with so many people involuntarily out of w*rk that she would leave the jobs to those that really needed the money.

I agree it could be dangerous in some areas. Even in one of the safest towns anywhere, my parents neighbor nearly got in a fight with the census guy last time because the census guy asked too personal of questions and wouldn't get off his property after asked repeatedly.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:01 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
My little old Mom did census work - know she was well into her 60s or 70s when she did. But she was pretty fearless/trusting in the goodness of others - did trips to the Amazon & China, stints in Mexico, homesteaded in Alaska, etc. No one bopped her on the head or took her lunch money though she didn't act like any kind of tough person. Luck? Karma?
I think I'd like your mom a lot I vote for good Karma.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:19 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I worked Paterson, NJ and Uptown Manhattan (Harlem and Hells Kitchen) for US DOL in the 60s. No problems at all - but then I was a skinny blond with an accent (to their ears), my boss said he had no problems keeping track of me because of calls from the locals asking where I came from.

I took the census test, evidently did well. They called back several times. Then I learned that they can't hire an elected official... which I am and for which I receive no pay. Maybe just as well if the concerns of others are valid.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:07 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I wonder how long it will take Washington to stumble upon the idea that it would be extremely efficient to get most of the census done via email or twitter or whatever new thing is out there. They know how well income taxes can be paid on line, why not...?

Old 04-25-2009, 06:11 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I remember waiting for the drug dealers to complete their business before walking by.
We may need a drug dealer/census enumerator position in that case.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:25 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I wonder how long it will take Washington to stumble upon the idea that it would be extremely efficient to get most of the census done via email or twitter or whatever new thing is out there. They know how well income taxes can be paid on line, why not...?
Just like electronic voting-- it couldn't be that hard to figure out!

It's a bit annoying to know that my taxes pay for someone to drop by my house to ask annoyingly personal questions. But what's even more annoying is knowing that my tax dollars also paid for someone to drop by my house a few weeks before that to give us a multilingual card informing us that someone will be coming by to ask annoyingly personal questions...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:06 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hey, my BIL took a census job and all he does is go to the downtown area (small town) and verify addresses. Once was a house and now its a business type of thing. Somebody called the cops on him because he looked like someone staking out joints to rob. Suspicious character!! Had to produce credentials proving who he was and what he was doing. Decent pay for a part time job.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Just Finished 5 Months of It
Old 04-25-2009, 11:53 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Just Finished 5 Months of It

I just completed 5 months of census work. What is taking place now is GPS mapping of habitable dwellings. These are the places that will either be mailed a packet or visited.

I worked as a recruiter. The first 3-4 months were quite fun. The last bit was a tich stressful as I volunteered to go places where a white male was not quite welcome. Trying to recruit people that do not like you because of your color, and that have a dislike of the government, is interesting work to say the least.

I opted to take the summer off rather than do GPS mapping. I made enough cash to support my hobby for the rest of the year. Hell, probably for the next 5 years.
limpid lizard is offline   Reply With Quote