Join Early Retirement Today

US Military Invades Pattaya...
Old 06-04-2006, 08:14 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

US Military Invades Pattaya...

According to Stickman

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/Weekly2006/weekly265.htm

the US Military has been accused of more "wrong doings" in Pattaya:

Despite the recent invasion of the US military, many bars and businesses in Pattaya claim to be hurting, and from what I can make out, this time they're not exaggerating...

The American military seems to be getting a hard time from all and sundry, and most of it totally unjust. While everyone was in agreement that the modern US military is a full of a bunch of friend, polite young guys, both the girls and local expats complained about them. A number of expats claimed that they took all the girls and for the week they were in town in serious numbers that the girls lost interest in the locally based guys. But that is in total contradiction with what a lot of the girls reported, that the guys are mostly young and that they found a lot of the Pattaya girls too old for them, and hence spent their money on food and drink as opposed to girls!

Pattaya is an overdeveloped "beach" town about 110 kms south west of Bangkok, Thailand. For the past several years the US military has participated in the annual Cobra Gold joint military exercises with Thai and other Asian military forces.

I've read Stickman for several years and he has consistantly described US military personnel as "well mannered, disciplined and polite."

But while some of the older male expats are jealous of the troops youth and good looks; the more "mature" entertainment hostesses are feeling ignored and are deeply disappointed that they were not being er, um, desired...

What are the rules of engagement when the 50+ well nourished mamasan won't take no for an answer?!?

Lance

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: US Military Invades Pattaya...
Old 06-04-2006, 08:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot
What are the rules of engagement when the 50+ well nourished mamasan won't take no for an answer?!?*
Run away fast. Chew off your own body parts if you have to.

At least that's what I've heard.

Due to increased concern about trafficking in humans, I've heard that the UCMJ is being revised to make anything beyond drinking & dancing illegal. I haven't seen anything yet but SEVENTH Fleet has a whole bunch of liberty restrictions and "off limits" rules. And the expats won't have to compete for the tuk-tuks, either...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:32 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot
What are the rules of engagement when the 50+ well nourished mamasan won't take no for an answer?!?
Lance, don't lose sight of the reason this forum exits: the discussion of FIRE related topics.

To that point, if those mamasan's didn't save some of the income they got from me and my buddies back in the late 60's and early 70's, is it fair that the American youth of today have to foot the bill to support them?

On second thought, it looks like that's the plan for SS, so why not?

Old 06-04-2006, 08:35 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Due to increased concern about trafficking in humans, I've heard that the UCMJ is being revised to make anything beyond drinking & dancing illegal. I haven't seen anything yet but SEVENTH Fleet has a whole bunch of liberty restrictions and "off limits" rules. . .
Another bad news story for recruiters trying to make their numbers every month.
"Join the Navy, see the world (but no touchee!)"
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Due to increased concern about trafficking in humans, I've heard that the UCMJ is being revised to make anything beyond drinking & dancing illegal. I haven't seen anything yet but SEVENTH Fleet has a whole bunch of liberty restrictions and "off limits" rules. And the expats won't have to compete for the tuk-tuks, either...
I think the troops take the restrictions seriously...

I have been in Pattaya during CG and while I did see some troops hanging out with girls, it seemed pretty innocent. The girls did seek the military out, mainly because they are of similar age, like rap music and don't have huge beer bellies.

I saw alot of "older" guys (30s) just walking around and shopping for the family back home. *

Heck, the guys weren't even drunk *

Old 06-04-2006, 08:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
To that point, if those mamasan's didn't save some of the income they got from me and my buddies back in the late 60's and early 70's, is it fair that the American youth of today have to foot the bill to support them?*
RE, Miss "Nok" was asking about you* She lub u too mut

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
Another bad news story for recruiters trying to make their numbers every month.
"Join the Navy, see the world (but no touchee!)"
Yeah, I too wonder how the recruiters meet their goals...

Old 06-04-2006, 09:19 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

One of our single friends just got back from Cobra Gold. Spent his free time taking a cooking class and another on fruit carving. But even with the new UCMJ revisions I'm not sure he's typical.
FlowGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowGirl
One of our single friends just got back from Cobra Gold. Spent his free time taking a cooking class and another on fruit carving.
Never heard those euphemisms before.
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:44 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp
Never heard those euphemisms before.
Hmm... now that I think about it, maybe I should have been more suspicious when he said he learned how to "stuff a spring roll."
FlowGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:28 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:09 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm

Have pictures of youngest nephew getting Cobra training lessions last year in India. She drew Thailand - no boy san pictures just nice clean tourist stuff.

They're getting married in July - on leave in -- Kansas City!

??

heh heh heh heh heh heh heh - the modern Navy. My wedding gift is a Home Depot Gift card.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:25 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The GIs will always find a way; when they want to.* And their standards are fairly loose!*

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:00 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I guess Genghis Kahn would be embarrassed at what has become of invading armies.

Ha
Old 06-05-2006, 09:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
I guess Genghis Kahn would be embarrassed at what has become of invading armies.

Ha
The troops really were behaving poorly: not getting drunk or throwing beer bottles, saying "excuse me" if someone bumped into them.

Terrible, really just terrible...

Old 06-05-2006, 09:40 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I am reading a book called America's small wars, called Savage wars of Peace. The American Federal Navy, as opposed to the colonial navy which was disbanded after the Revolution, was formed and outfitted to protect American merchant shipping along the Barbary Coast of North Africa. It seems that the British Navy was less interested in protecting our shipping once we were no longer a colony.

Anyway, not infrequently women were brought aboard warships when in port. From this decidedly pleasant custom came the phrase "Son of a gun", as in "You old son of a gun!" It referred to babies born out of sexual unions consummated on the gun deck.

Wow, live and learn. Now the sailors have to content themselves with - whoops, I won't go there tonight. Haven't had enough wine.*

Ha
Old 06-06-2006, 07:22 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Ha, "son of a gun" is not an exclusive US Navy term, it was certainly already in use in the Royal Navy before that time. It was used in response to "who is the father?" because the mother would not know!!!! The place of conception could have been anywhere.

Another anecdote - on the old warships the iron cannon balls were kept together in a pile on brass plates near the guns. In very cold weather the brass would contract more than the iron balls which would consequently roll off around the deck, hence the term "cold enough to freeze the balls off a [brass] monkey".*

Old 06-06-2006, 11:11 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F M All
Ha, "son of a gun" is not an exclusive US Navy term, it was certainly already in use in the Royal Navy before that time. It was used in response to "who is the father?" because the mother would not know!!!! The place of conception could have been anywhere.

Another anecdote - on the old warships the iron cannon balls were kept together in a pile on brass plates near the guns. In very cold weather the brass would contract more than the iron balls which would consequently roll off around the deck, hence the term "cold enough to freeze the balls off a [brass] monkey".*
Very interesting on both phrases, FM All.* Is "Son of a gun" a naval term originally, even though not unique to the US Navy?

Ha
Old 06-06-2006, 11:44 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I was given in the explanation during a tour of the House of Commons so naturally the guide would not recognise any other Navy as having any important contribution .

Another anecdote - in the House of Commons the major parties sit facing each other but must remain behind a clear line on the floor, there is a gap of about 4 feet between the lines - apparently to prevent sword fights. Prime Minister's Question time is so tame these days!!!
Old 06-07-2006, 03:09 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Very interesting on both phrases, FM All.* Is "Son of a gun" a naval term originally, even though not unique to the US Navy?
A bunch of USN traditions were stolen from the Brits.

Unfortunately Josephus Daniels chose to return the grog tradition.

Here's another one.* "Shake a leg" refers to the inport muster taken when the sailor is sleeping on board in a hammock (but not necessarily sleeping alone) and not required to muster topside in uniform.*

IIRC the words "chit" & "khaki" were taken from Hindui words picked up during the British occupation.* And "boondockers" was appropriated during the misadventures in the Philippines after the Spanish-American War.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:49 PM   #20

Quote:
IIRC the words "chit" & "khaki" were taken from Hindu words picked up during the British occupation. And "boondockers" was appropriated during the misadventures in the Philippines after the Spanish-American War.
Since T-Al isn't here anymore .... "Hindu" is a religion, "Hindi" is the language.

WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote