US Open

frayne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The course set up is fair and challenging this year ! Hope Tiger continues to play well. Bubba and Phil kind of choked yesterday. Today should be interesting.

Good for Tiger that Phil and Bubba's troubles weren't contagious to him. Poor Phil--every golfer's, from duffer to pro, worst nightmare on the first hole is hitting a bad tee shot, and not only is Phil's still sitting up in a tree somewhere, he had to walk all by himself back to the first tee to hit another one. Really amazing that he only bogeyed that hole:

Attachments

• G1philwalkAlTielemans.jpg
    G1philwalkAlTielemans.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 3
I would like to see Tiger get back on track as it would make for some interesting golf for years to come. At this stage of the game I still think Jack is the best golfer of all time. I can't remember the exact stastistic, but I think Jack came in second 19 times in the major tournaments. So he wins 18 majors, which is the mark Tiger is trying to beat (he's at 14) but the 19 second place finishes is amazing. I once saw Jack play a high school tournament in Ohio and I couldn't believe how pure he hit the shots. They were so crisp.

Would like to see Ernie Els hold it together with his flat stick and get one more major.

Would like to see Ernie Els hold it together with his flat stick and get one more major.

Me too! I think Ernie is one of the good guys out there and he deserves another win. Wish I had his swing. So smooth.

Ernie would be good. But many could win it. Tiger played well the first 2 rounds, but yesterday he hit a couple of shots that were simply horrible. He has never come from behind on Sunday to win a major and I can't see him doing it today either.

I think Tiger could come back but it would be difficult to say the least with the course set up as it is. The winner of this year's Open, is the Olympic course.

Ernie would be good. But many could win it. Tiger played well the first 2 rounds, but yesterday he hit a couple of shots that were simply horrible. He has never come from behind on Sunday to win a major and I can't see him doing it today either.

Yeah, that chuncky chip Tiger made on 18 was hard to watch. I don't see him coming back that many strokes unless he can find a way to keep his tee shots on the short grass.

I can't stand watching Jim Furyk's swing but I like him and it is hard to argue with the results.

I love that 670 yard par five and that the USGA has included a legit par five for these pros. Now they get to suffer like the rest of us.

I can't stand watching Jim Furyk's swing but I like him and it is hard to argue with the results.

Furyk is one of the mentally toughest pros there is. He sank several 6-10 footers yesterday and didn't make any major, unrecoverable mistakes. That's why he shares the lead. Everybody else better have their big boy pants on today if they want to compete.

Huston55 said:
Furyk is one of the mentally toughest pros there is. He sank several 6-10 footers yesterday and didn't make any major, unrecoverable mistakes. That's why he shares the lead. Everybody else better have their big boy pants on today if they want to compete.

Furyk is a class guy. Els is my sentimental favorite, but US Open isn't too favorable for the oldies to hold up for 72 holes. Many could win, but if you had a gun pointed at my wallet it would choose Graeme McDowell.

Probably won't happen but I'd love to see that 17 year from CA make a run for the title. I think his name is Hossler.

JOHNNIE36 said:
Probably won't happen but I'd love to see that 17 year from CA make a run for the title. I think his name is Hossler.

Ill root for him a bit to maybe catch a glimpse of his mother. She looked pretty easy on the eyes as she was walking in the scorers room with him. How many times has a mother done that at a PGA tour event?

Ill root for him a bit to maybe catch a glimpse of his mother. She looked pretty easy on the eyes as she was walking in the scorers room with him. How many times has a mother done that at a PGA tour event?

You ol' coot. I thought I was the only one who noticed her.

pb4uski said:
You ol' coot. I thought I was the only one who noticed her.

That might be an official definition of old age. When the mother of a 17 year old is too young to look at! Speaking of looking at the tournament, watching Jim Furyk the last few holes was just painful.

IMHO, the course won and kudos to Simpson for hanging tough for four rounds. Nobody even mentioned the guy as a potential winner.

Johnny Miller is the worst analyst in sports television. The most critical, ill informed, and generally obnoxious talking head on tv. He makes it sound like he could walk onto the course and shoot 65. He seems to forget that he basically had to retire from golf because of one of the worse case of the yips ever. Couldn't look at a two foot putt without throwing up on his shoes.

Other than that I enjoyed the tournament.

Johnny Miller is the worst analyst in sports television. The most critical, ill informed, and generally obnoxious talking head on tv. He makes it sound like he could walk onto the course and shoot 65. He seems to forget that he basically had to retire from golf because of one of the worse case of the yips ever. Couldn't look at a two foot putt without throwing up on his shoes.

It wasn't the yips so much as his bad back. He also said Tiger would win after his first 36. He is a Tiger honk and many are, but Olympic is not a good Open Course for Tiger's game. Pebble Beach, yes.........Olympic, no............

FinanceDude said:
It wasn't the yips so much as his bad back. He also said Tiger would win after his first 36. He is a Tiger honk and many are, but Olympic is not a good Open Course for Tiger's game. Pebble Beach, yes.........Olympic, no............

Miller was certainly a 70s generation player so my memories are dim, but I remember him pulling a rabbit out of a hat in 1994 winning at Pebble Beach. Maybe I have listened to him too much, but it seems like he isn't as critical of the tour players as he was in the past. He certainly is still the "expert" though.

Miller was certainly a 70s generation player so my memories are dim, but I remember him pulling a rabbit out of a hat in 1994 winning at Pebble Beach. Maybe I have listened to him too much, but it seems like he isn't as critical of the tour players as he was in the past. He certainly is still the "expert" though.

There are some good accounts of Miller's prowess as a golfer. He lived in Jack's shadow much like Mikkelson lives in Tiger's. He was at one time one of the greatest iron players. Literally, his shots would end up inches from the cup. He knew the yardages so well he didn't need his caddy half the time. I like Johnny, he is much better than the wannabees like Jim Nance. David Feherty is my all-time favorite!

+1 Half the time he is talking he makes me want to puke.

FinanceDude said:
There are some good accounts of Miller's prowess as a golfer. He lived in Jack's shadow much like Mikkelson lives in Tiger's. He was at one time one of the greatest iron players. Literally, his shots would end up inches from the cup. He knew the yardages so well he didn't need his caddy half the time. I like Johnny, he is much better than the wannabees like Jim Nance. David Feherty is my all-time favorite!

Not a fan at all of Jim Nantz either. I am bored to death with his "automated cookie cutter" voice and style. I am a big fan of the Masters and appreciate its history. But the broadcast is a sporting event not a religious ceremony.

Back
Top Bottom