Join Early Retirement Today

US Open
Old 06-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

US Open

The course set up is fair and challenging this year ! Hope Tiger continues to play well. Bubba and Phil kind of choked yesterday. Today should be interesting.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Good for Tiger that Phil and Bubba's troubles weren't contagious to him. Poor Phil--every golfer's, from duffer to pro, worst nightmare on the first hole is hitting a bad tee shot, and not only is Phil's still sitting up in a tree somewhere, he had to walk all by himself back to the first tee to hit another one. Really amazing that he only bogeyed that hole:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G1philwalkAlTielemans.jpg (141.1 KB, 3 views)

Old 06-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #3

I would like to see Tiger get back on track as it would make for some interesting golf for years to come. At this stage of the game I still think Jack is the best golfer of all time. I can't remember the exact stastistic, but I think Jack came in second 19 times in the major tournaments. So he wins 18 majors, which is the mark Tiger is trying to beat (he's at 14) but the 19 second place finishes is amazing. I once saw Jack play a high school tournament in Ohio and I couldn't believe how pure he hit the shots. They were so crisp.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

So far it is shaping up for a very exciting Sunday.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Would like to see Ernie Els hold it together with his flat stick and get one more major.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Would like to see Ernie Els hold it together with his flat stick and get one more major.
Me too! I think Ernie is one of the good guys out there and he deserves another win. Wish I had his swing. So smooth.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

It sure was smooth on that chip in on 17(?) today. Sweet shot.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:51 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Ernie would be good. But many could win it. Tiger played well the first 2 rounds, but yesterday he hit a couple of shots that were simply horrible. He has never come from behind on Sunday to win a major and I can't see him doing it today either.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #9

I think Tiger could come back but it would be difficult to say the least with the course set up as it is. The winner of this year's Open, is the Olympic course.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Ernie would be good. But many could win it. Tiger played well the first 2 rounds, but yesterday he hit a couple of shots that were simply horrible. He has never come from behind on Sunday to win a major and I can't see him doing it today either.
Yeah, that chuncky chip Tiger made on 18 was hard to watch. I don't see him coming back that many strokes unless he can find a way to keep his tee shots on the short grass.

I can't stand watching Jim Furyk's swing but I like him and it is hard to argue with the results.

I love that 670 yard par five and that the USGA has included a legit par five for these pros. Now they get to suffer like the rest of us.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I can't stand watching Jim Furyk's swing but I like him and it is hard to argue with the results.
Furyk is one of the mentally toughest pros there is. He sank several 6-10 footers yesterday and didn't make any major, unrecoverable mistakes. That's why he shares the lead. Everybody else better have their big boy pants on today if they want to compete.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:50 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55

Furyk is one of the mentally toughest pros there is. He sank several 6-10 footers yesterday and didn't make any major, unrecoverable mistakes. That's why he shares the lead. Everybody else better have their big boy pants on today if they want to compete.
Furyk is a class guy. Els is my sentimental favorite, but US Open isn't too favorable for the oldies to hold up for 72 holes. Many could win, but if you had a gun pointed at my wallet it would choose Graeme McDowell.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #13

Probably won't happen but I'd love to see that 17 year from CA make a run for the title. I think his name is Hossler.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36
Probably won't happen but I'd love to see that 17 year from CA make a run for the title. I think his name is Hossler.
Ill root for him a bit to maybe catch a glimpse of his mother. She looked pretty easy on the eyes as she was walking in the scorers room with him. How many times has a mother done that at a PGA tour event?
Old 06-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Ill root for him a bit to maybe catch a glimpse of his mother. She looked pretty easy on the eyes as she was walking in the scorers room with him. How many times has a mother done that at a PGA tour event?
+1
Old 06-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You ol' coot. I thought I was the only one who noticed her.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:58 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski

You ol' coot. I thought I was the only one who noticed her.
That might be an official definition of old age. When the mother of a 17 year old is too young to look at! Speaking of looking at the tournament, watching Jim Furyk the last few holes was just painful.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #18

IMHO, the course won and kudos to Simpson for hanging tough for four rounds. Nobody even mentioned the guy as a potential winner.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #19

Johnny Miller is the worst analyst in sports television. The most critical, ill informed, and generally obnoxious talking head on tv. He makes it sound like he could walk onto the course and shoot 65. He seems to forget that he basically had to retire from golf because of one of the worse case of the yips ever. Couldn't look at a two foot putt without throwing up on his shoes.

Other than that I enjoyed the tournament.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
Johnny Miller is the worst analyst in sports television. The most critical, ill informed, and generally obnoxious talking head on tv. He makes it sound like he could walk onto the course and shoot 65. He seems to forget that he basically had to retire from golf because of one of the worse case of the yips ever. Couldn't look at a two foot putt without throwing up on his shoes.

Other than that I enjoyed the tournament.
It wasn't the yips so much as his bad back. He also said Tiger would win after his first 36. He is a Tiger honk and many are, but Olympic is not a good Open Course for Tiger's game. Pebble Beach, yes.........Olympic, no............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote