Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-21-2015, 06:21 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

I couldn't believe that Tiger chili-dipped a fairway wood on the 18th in the first round... I can do that!
A local sportscaster here in the metromess said the other night "I've being practicing for years to be able to play like Tiger Woods, now I can"

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2015, 08:16 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I agree about the complaining. But visually to me I prefer the green scenery for golf. The part that probably annoys me the most right or wrong is I can't see a transition from fairway to green. Many Open Championships across the pond have more contrast between fairway and greens visually on tv than here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Me also... and they had a shot from up high that showed the whole course looked like a brown dead spot with green around it... so it is not like there couldn't be green if they wanted... then again, maybe they were trees and the grass was just as brown...

Old 06-21-2015, 09:34 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow, what an exciting finish.

Chambers Bay doesn't look like a traditional course, but it sure was fun to watch.

The USGA says they are committed to "sustainability". I read where last years site, Pinehurst 2, now uses almost 70% less water than it did before its "updating" a few years ago.

USGA President Tom O'Toole said that water is the biggest issue facing golf going forward.

I guess brown is the new green.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-21-2015, 09:52 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

US Open, Chambers Bay

Felt kind of bad for DJ. I just knew he was going to miss that second putt. He had great restraint and class after 3 jacking. I would have pulled a Happy Gilmore threw my club and looked to put a beat down on Bob Barker.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:47 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

+1 While I wanted Spieth to win I would have preferred that DJ make the birdie putt and we get to see these two going mano-a-mano for 18 holes on Monday. DJ's putting was a bit suspect all afternoon, and I was surprised that he let the eagle attempt slide by so far.

On to St. Andrews... go Jordan!
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:43 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

All in all a pretty exciting finish. I also feel for DJ, that's gotta hurt, blowing an eagle putt for the win and then missing the putt coming back for the tie. Congrats to Jordan.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:44 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Nobody can certainly route against Jordan, but the upcoming Open Championship is the only major a geezer has a chance to win. Always nice to see a name like Norman, Watson, or Clarke up there competing as has been in recent past.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:45 AM   #28

I was there on Sat. Very challenging course to watch golf. We ended up camping on 11 and watching a lot of bogeys.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:50 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

My friend and I went down there about a year ago. I played very little golf in my life, but did a lot of caddying in my junior high and high school days. I thought that this was perhaps the ugliest golf course ever designed, Friend had a walking problem but I walked much of the course. It would be a great place to use a walking or jogging program for fitness.

Ha
Old 06-22-2015, 10:06 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

There's not a number high enough to reflect the score I'd make on that course...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:51 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't normally watch golf but I wanted to watch this since it was basically in my back yard AND the caddy (Michael Greller) for Jordan Spieth was my daughters 5th grade teacher. I think he is making a little more as a caddy than a teacher--but he is a damn good teacher too!

I was with my wife at a sports bar and it was interesting to see that last shot get an audible gasp from the bar---never would have guessed that for a golf game.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:51 AM   #32

The bitching has begun and I think it is legit.
Golfers Pile On The Hate For U.S. Open Greens
Old 06-22-2015, 11:03 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
There's not a number high enough to reflect the score I'd make on that course...
After walking the course, I'd probably fire a 110 from the tips, with a caddie.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:04 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
talked to a chambers bay caddie on sat, who purported to have 2000 loops out there under his belt- he said the course was in the worst shape it's ever been since he started there

they stopped watering and it didn't rain for 9 days - course was parched and the greens died, well except for the poe

course is just flat out brutal and very penal - you miss a shot by half a yard you could roll 50 yards into the fescue
Old 06-22-2015, 11:23 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
I remember Palmer bitching about US Open greens 40 years ago. One thing to remember is that all the pros in the Open are playing the same greens. They also bitch about the greens at Augusta from time to time.

The Open is a tourney that is notoriously hard since the courses chosen are either pretty hard or they get "tricked up" a few weeks before the event. Pin placement is also known to be in the hardest places and vairies from day to day.

I played Pebble Beach in late May one year that was to be the Open that year and course management was letting the rough get very tall and mowing the fairways down to be only 24 (?) yards wide.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:50 AM   #36

More courses need to go "all in" on sustainable grasses. The mixture on the greens was the real issue.

But as for the players, really, this is nothing new. John Daly lost his mind in 1999. Recall: Daly snaps at USGA over Pinehurst's conditions

Quote:
I've had it with the USGA and the way they run their tournaments. The USGA loves to embarrass guys who play in their tournaments. - John Daly, 1999
Old 06-22-2015, 12:11 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
More courses need to go "all in" on sustainable grasses. The mixture on the greens was the real issue.

But as for the players, really, this is nothing new. John Daly lost his mind in 1999. Recall: Daly snaps at USGA over Pinehurst's conditions

But Daly was complaining about the pin placements not the condition of the greens. I saw a putt from Brandt Snedeker yesterday that hit something on the green as it was rolling towards the cup and popped straight up in the air about 10 feet from the hole. It looked like some of those guys were trying to putt on a gravel driveway.

It was actually painful watching just trying to figure out if the ball was actually on the green!

Mike
Old 06-22-2015, 12:13 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
It was actually painful watching just trying to figure out if the ball was actually on the green!

Mike
tell me about it and I was there live
Old 06-22-2015, 12:13 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I have never played golf, but i enjoy watching it. I thought this tournament was fun to watch, partly because it was unpredictable. If some unknown, lucky upstart player had won, I might credit the players' concerns about the greens affecting quality of play and rewarding "the lucky." But, the guy who just won the Masters prevailed, so, clearly, the exceptionally good players know how to rise above even the worst of conditions. And the others can whinge on social media.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:16 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
tell me about it and I was there live

Ian Poulter posted a tweet apologizing to the people that spent their hard earned money to buy tickets to the tournament!

Mike