Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2015, 12:17 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets
wrigley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSF View Post
I have never played golf, but i enjoy watching it. I thought this tournament was fun to watch, partly because it was unpredictable. If some unknown, lucky upstart player had won, I might credit the players' concerns about the greens affecting quality of play and rewarding "the lucky." But, the guy who just won the Masters prevailed, so, clearly, the exceptionally good players know how to rise above even the worst of conditions. And the others can whinge on social media.
If that was not the US Open, a third of the field would have withdrawn!

Mike
__________________

__________________
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2015, 12:25 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
More courses need to go "all in" on sustainable grasses. The mixture on the greens was the real issue.



But as for the players, really, this is nothing new. John Daly lost his mind in 1999. Recall: Daly snaps at USGA over Pinehurst's conditions

That probably is a reasonable goal since water can be expensive. Or just move all the majors to MO. We always have plenty of water and lakes to keep the whole course green. Some of the complaints were that the greens and pin placements were too Mickey Mouse Putt Putt. Bubba Watson had a video on USA Today a few days ago showing one green contour. He placed a ball down for camera about 25 feet from hole. He literally putted it with his back facing the hole and it ran a near circle before dropping into the cup.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________

__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:25 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Big_Hitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In the fairway
Posts: 4,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
Ian Poulter posted a tweet apologizing to the people that spent their hard earned money to buy tickets to the tournament!

Mike
yeah it wasn't cheap but I got it scratched off the bucket list

plus the Astros beat the mariners yesterday too - got to see that live
__________________
Swing hard, look up
Big_Hitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:49 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
JoeWras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
That probably is a reasonable goal since water can be expensive. Or just move all the majors to MO. We always have plenty of water and lakes to keep the whole course green. Some of the complaints were that the greens and pin placements were too Mickey Mouse Putt Putt. Bubba Watson had a video on USA Today a few days ago showing one green contour. He placed a ball down for camera about 25 feet from hole. He literally putted it with his back facing the hole and it ran a near circle before dropping into the cup.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So it is a combination of stuff that got the players hot. The USGA *always* ticks off players. Always. And yes I saw a few of those "funnel" greens. A few approach shots did some pretty crazy stuff once they hit the "plaids".

Plaids is what they were, not greens. And I won't disagree that there is no place for such uneven putting surfaces on a major tournament.

But golf does have to wake up. I applaud the USGA for trying to showcase a course that turned an old strip mine into something else. But the course has work to do. Why not go all in on sustainable greens?

Pinehurst used to have sand greens, until the mid 30s. Might we see something like that again? Or maybe something (gasp) artificial? Or will that be too predictable? Probably.
__________________
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:00 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
So it is a combination of stuff that got the players hot. The USGA *always* ticks off players. Always. And yes I saw a few of those "funnel" greens. A few approach shots did some pretty crazy stuff once they hit the "plaids".

Plaids is what they were, not greens. And I won't disagree that there is no place for such uneven putting surfaces on a major tournament.

But golf does have to wake up. I applaud the USGA for trying to showcase a course that turned an old strip mine into something else. But the course has work to do. Why not go all in on sustainable greens?

Pinehurst used to have sand greens, until the mid 30s. Might we see something like that again? Or maybe something (gasp) artificial? Or will that be too predictable? Probably.

Please no sand greens! I have actually had to play them before. If they could get the cushioning underneath it right, mom and pop small town courses could probably benefit from artificial. I remember about 15 years ago playing on a small course adjoined to an apartment complex. It just couldn't hold any shots to the green.
Trevino said although he didn't like the setup of course from his tv only vantage point, it doesn't really matter. A year from now, all most will remember who the winner was. He said it was that way last year at Number 2 that was redone and many were not fans about it. All is forgotten and now just mad at this course.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:07 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
frayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: 19th Hole
Posts: 2,529
In the thread about the players complaining there is a picture of one of the greens. It looks like what would be considered a temporary green on a course where the regular green is under repair. The USGA should quit trying to defend what is simply indefensible and say they screwed up. Anyone who plays the game and watched it on TV could see how goofy the greens were. Yes, they all had to play the same shitty course, so that makes it better, I don't think so.
__________________
A totally unblemished life is only for saints.
frayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:26 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,570
I like the natural greens, eco-friendly and no mowing required. They all played the same course, good or bad condition. Think there's a lot of whingeing going on.
__________________
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:31 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,156
It's the US Open...it's supposed to be played on a hard and challenging course. No news here.
__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:33 PM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
zinger1457's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,452
What did you guys think about Fox's TV coverage? I did like the shot tracer they used on most driving holes. Not impressed at all with Joe Buck as the host commentator. I did like Faxon, Pavin, and Flesh. Not so sure about Norman, he does offer some good insight as long as it's golf related (and not medical), but he was too much of a cheerleader for his hometown boy Jason Day. And the early round coverage on Sunday where they covered every walking step Day took was ridiculous.
__________________
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:01 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,262
It was the US Open... everybody would show up to play even if they held it in a Walmart parking lot....

My biggest complaints are like most...

Could not tell where any greens were located...

Could not easily see the ball on TV... many times I was watching and looking so see where the ball was rolling... it sometimes took me awhile or they finally zoomed in and I could see...

That a good shot could be punished so much.... I saw a drive on a par three... the ball hit maybe 20 feet behind the hole... then proceeded to roll what looked like 30 yards back toward the hitter.... not forward like you might think... I think it was Day who was putting along a ridge... he did not quite get to the slope side he needed... left a 30 foot put.... it looked like if he had made it a bit more to the right he had a chance of it going in... or at least close to the hole...

And then the putt that literally bounced up at least 6 inches.... they never did give a good explanation on that one...

I watched it a bit on Sat and a bit on Sun... but thought it was not good golf and watched something else...
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:02 PM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
frayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: 19th Hole
Posts: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
What did you guys think about Fox's TV coverage? I did like the shot tracer they used on most driving holes. Not impressed at all with Joe Buck as the host commentator. I did like Faxon, Pavin, and Flesh. Not so sure about Norman, he does offer some good insight as long as it's golf related (and not medical), but he was too much of a cheerleader for his hometown boy Jason Day. And the early round coverage on Sunday where they covered every walking step Day took was ridiculous.
I liked the coverage and kind of a nice change from the hush, hush commentary of the Masters. I even thought Joe Buck did a decent job. I got tired of hearing Norman defend the USGA but other than that liked the color commentary between he and Faxon. As far as pulling for Jason Day, I think just about everyone was after the second and third round, even during the fourth round you didn't know if he was going to make it.
__________________
A totally unblemished life is only for saints.
frayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:06 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
I liked the coverage and kind of a nice change from the hush, hush commentary of the Masters. I even thought Joe Buck did a decent job. I got tired of hearing Norman defend the USGA but other than that liked the color commentary between he and Faxon. As far as pulling for Jason Day, I think just about everyone was after the second and third round, even during the fourth round you didn't know if he was going to make it.
+1 On Jason Day.
The guy had vertigo! How he even played is mystery to me.
__________________
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:55 PM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
I liked the coverage and kind of a nice change from the hush, hush commentary of the Masters. I even thought Joe Buck did a decent job. I got tired of hearing Norman defend the USGA but other than that liked the color commentary between he and Faxon. As far as pulling for Jason Day, I think just about everyone was after the second and third round, even during the fourth round you didn't know if he was going to make it.

I was a bit disappointed in Normans analysis of DJ's choke. He personally had a lifetime of it and just plain bad luck. Surely there was incite available!
The crew prepped hard for the coverage I know, but the worst to me was the 1 on 1 interviews after the round. The dude Saturday looked uncomfortable doing it and the bimbo Sunday added nothing except a little visual distraction. If you need a woman get a real one and have a seasoned pro like Annika or Nancy.
Personally I think know matter the setup of a course, a US Open should have pure rollable putts no matter what the contour of the greens are.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:27 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets
Derslickmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
the bimbo Sunday added nothing except a little visual distraction
Hmmm, I thought she was the best thing about Fox's coverage, well her and the ball tracer
__________________
Derslickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:46 PM   #55
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
frayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: 19th Hole
Posts: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derslickmeister View Post
Hmmm, I thought she was the best thing about Fox's coverage, well her and the ball tracer
Well, her and the ball tracer. There's some meat on that bone somewhere.
__________________
A totally unblemished life is only for saints.
frayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:19 PM   #56
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: seattle/dahlonega
Posts: 77
It was the US Open held in the PNW where it's green and lush.
The course was a dried ass sand quarry.
__________________
hurricane harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:41 PM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
What did you guys think about Fox's TV coverage? I did like the shot tracer they used on most driving holes. Not impressed at all with Joe Buck as the host commentator. I did like Faxon, Pavin, and Flesh. Not so sure about Norman, he does offer some good insight as long as it's golf related (and not medical), but he was too much of a cheerleader for his hometown boy Jason Day. And the early round coverage on Sunday where they covered every walking step Day took was ridiculous.
I thought it was horrible. And I am a big Johnny Miller fan, so that was disappointing not to hear him.
__________________
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:57 PM   #58
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Well, her and the ball tracer. There's some meat on that bone somewhere.

Well said, Frayne. I was thinking along those lines but didn't have the response in me that you had.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:07 AM   #59
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
I thought it was horrible. And I am a big Johnny Miller fan, so that was disappointing not to hear him.
I thought the best part of the coverage was NOT having to listen to Johnny Miller. Not that Greg Norman was much better.

I actually liked the Fox coverage, especially the more frequent use of the ball tracer and some of the graphics on yardage. I thought Joe Buck was solid, but prefer Jim Nance.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:15 AM   #60
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,376
I think a Joe Buck and Johnny Miller combo would be excellent. Nantz is fine but is just over the top at the Masters. I swear the offering plate is going to come by my couch as he is talking.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________

__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone travel or live on the Monterey Bay, Big Sur area? newguy88 Travel Information 13 07-20-2008 11:46 PM
Bay Area Members--Lend me Your Wisdom JPatrick Other topics 9 02-24-2006 04:22 PM
Moving to the Bay Area? Spanky Other topics 59 02-20-2006 02:31 PM
I got nailed on e-bay on a Phishing Scam........... Cut-Throat FIRE and Money 20 11-10-2005 09:40 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:00 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.