Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-23-2015, 12:53 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I thought the best part of the coverage was NOT having to listen to Johnny Miller. Not that Greg Norman was much better.

I actually liked the Fox coverage, especially the more frequent use of the ball tracer and some of the graphics on yardage. I thought Joe Buck was solid, but prefer Jim Nance.
I met Johnny last year at Father Son PNC tournament, and he was very nice, and very easy to talk to. I can understand that he rubs some people the wrong way, though. When I talked to his wife about this topic, she laughed about that a lot.

I did like the ball tracer and yardage, though. Good point. So maybe, "horrible" is a little extreme. Maybe C+ overall, if I am Michael Collins.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2015, 12:59 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
I met Johnny last year at Father Son PNC tournament, and he was very nice, and very easy to talk to. I can understand that he rubs some people the wrong way, though. When I talked to his wife about this topic, she laughed about that a lot.

I did like the ball tracer and yardage, though. Good point. So maybe, "horrible" is a little extreme. Maybe C+ overall, if I am Michael Collins.
I still think his 1994 ATT win at Pebble Beach was the craziest thing ever in golf. He quit playing more or less years ago and just showed up and won. Sometimes practice just isnt worth it.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:01 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I thought the best part of the coverage was NOT having to listen to Johnny Miller. Not that Greg Norman was much better.

I actually liked the Fox coverage, especially the more frequent use of the ball tracer and some of the graphics on yardage. I thought Joe Buck was solid, but prefer Jim Nance.
+1. It was the best US Open television coverage in years just because he wasn't there. Although my joy was short lived as I read that NBC stole the British Open rights from ABC/ESPN so we are going to have to put up with that blow hard once again on a major.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:02 PM   #64

If you live in California get used to playing on burned out brown courses, at least if the Guv Brown has his way!
Old 06-23-2015, 01:42 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

The best thing about the coverage was the limited commercial interruptions. I nearly fell out of my chair when, about 6:15 PDT, Buck said something like, "There will be no more commercial interruptions from here on." That was one thing the USGA got right!

Consensus in my golf group today was that it was a pretty good effort, overall. One guy reported that his wife did say, "Who is that slut doing the interviews?"

Personally, I just wish everyone would stop playing music during highlight playbacks - it adds nothing and forces me to the mute button. I could sprain my finger!
Old 06-23-2015, 03:49 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I still think his 1994 ATT win at Pebble Beach was the craziest thing ever in golf. He quit playing more or less years ago and just showed up and won. Sometimes practice just isnt worth it.

While I don't exactly agree, golf, in particular, is a game where you can think too much. Playing relaxed likely has its advantages.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:29 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
While I don't exactly agree, golf, in particular, is a game where you can think too much. Playing relaxed likely has its advantages.

Ya, I was being a bit over the top. But for a wild amateur many of my best rounds have came very early in the year. You certainly have to be put in the time to be a top notch elite golfer, but with that comes the mental pressure of expectations which some cant seem to handle. I imagine poor DJ wasn't very relaxed when putting those 2 putts that cost him the tourney.
A person could have built a fully funded retirement betting against Jim Furyk on Sunday when he opened the final round with a lead. He has fully paid a few Vegas trips for me personally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2015, 06:59 PM   #68

I was telling my wife that the land was not suited for building a golf course. All that green contours ... scary.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:54 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been playing and watching golf for 43 years. The course was not the best looking golf course on TV but I sort of liked watching it. Nice to watch a tournament live when it dark on the east coast I am a 10 handicap and I bet I could not break 120 on that course. I also doubt the US Open will never return to this tricked up course. oldtrig
Old 06-23-2015, 08:56 PM   #70

Chambers Bay also has to be one of the more expensive muni courses in the country, at $299 a round for non-residents I think I'll pass. I can think of a few other ways to torture myself for a lot less money.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:39 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Chambers Bay also has to be one of the more expensive muni courses in the country, at $299 a round for non-residents I think I'll pass. I can think of a few other ways to torture myself for a lot less money.
When you play golf, by definition, you enjoy torture. I think I will play the course at least once if I get a chance. I average 32 putts per round. With local caddy's help, I think I can do 43 putts or less on those things they call green ...
Old 06-25-2015, 11:45 AM   #72

it's difficult to call a shot a "putt" when you can't tell if you're on the green or fairway
Old 06-25-2015, 12:17 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
When you play golf, by definition, you enjoy torture. I think I will play the course at least once if I get a chance. I average 32 putts per round. With local caddy's help, I think I can do 43 putts or less on those things they call green ...

Local caddy help will be invaluable. He can tell you which putt you need to face the hole while putting and which ones you will need to have your back square to the hole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk