Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
US 'sex addict' sues over firing
Old 05-25-2007, 07:14 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 166
US 'sex addict' sues over firing

There has to be a joke in here somewhere..................



BBC NEWS | Americas | US 'sex addict' sues over firing
__________________

__________________
nil illegitimus carborundum
F M All is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2007, 08:20 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
Charlotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 176
I have had to fire 2 men so far in my career in management at Megacorp for the same reason. Both received 1 warning, then after viewing inappropriate pictures again on the internet, they were dismissed. Both begged/pleaded for mercy... well, my view is that they got mercy the first time (verbal/written warning). I can't imagine what they told their wives when they got home that day. It is more important that Megacorp enforce their rules to protect all of that offender's teammates, who do NOT want to walk into someone's cube to talk about work, and see something they do NOT want to see on someone else's computer screen. Yuck! I wasn't right for weeks after having to deal with that as the manager.
__________________

__________________
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:13 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by F M All View Post
There has to be a joke in here somewhere..................

Probably something having to do with asking the judge to spank him as punishment when he loses.

Compulsions are pretty interesting things to deal with.

I had an employee, nice wholesome catholic guy with a nice wholesome catholic wife and six kids at home. "everyone" knew he was looking at a little porn at work, but nobody had made a complaint. Just sort of something a few of the other guys prided themselves in 'catching' him on to give him a hard time about.

About 4 years after I retired, I heard he eventually got carried away with it and got fired. After one verbal and two written warnings.

Like I said, compulsions can be pretty interesting things.

Quote:
I can't imagine what they told their wives when they got home that day.
Indeed...
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 10:13 AM   #4
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
I can't imagine what they told their wives when they got home that day.
Obviously I never "got the hang of" being married. I've been very happily divorced for almost 10 years now. But personally, I can't imagine a wife being any more upset about her husband looking at porn and getting fired, than if he had just been looking at the ER message board on company time and got fired for that. Sheesh! Why take his web browsing tastes personally?

Being single is soooo much better for someone like me. I spend time with Frank because I like him, just as he is, and because we have fun together. Honestly, policing what he views online does not interest me.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 11:14 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
lazygood4nothinbum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Why take his web browsing tastes personally?
i kind of agree with this and i think for a large part it is a grown up way of thinking. but i also understand people drawing lines somewhere. for instance, if i found my partner getting off on pictures of bestiality, i would get completely grossed out and i can not imagine myself touching that guy ever again.

there was a joke about that on 2 & a half men the other night. something about a pet dog and peanut butter. not only did i think it too gross for tv but it brought back a memory of one of my childhood friends suggesting the same thing in the presence of my weimar. i was completely grossed out even then and i would draw that line today on someone else's personal browsing tastes.
__________________
"off with their heads"~~dr. joseph-ignace guillotin

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:05 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Brat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 5,914
My mother was a business owner with a good size workforce. Once she and I were talking about people who gossiped about others sexuality. Her comment was "They aren't busy enough." Her approach was to increase the workload of employees who engaged in idle talk. It didn't take long for the message to be delivered.
__________________
Brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:23 PM   #7
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
i kind of agree with this and i think for a large part it is a grown up way of thinking. but i also understand people drawing lines somewhere. for instance, if i found my partner getting off on pictures of bestiality, i would get completely grossed out and i can not imagine myself touching that guy ever again.
True. I would have a problem with someone who overly enjoyed watching the Iraqi beheading videos over, and over, and over, and over, because that would tell me something shocking about him that I didn't already know (or I wouldn't be with him).

I would probably assume that a heterosexual married guy would enjoy viewing heterosexual porn, though, so that wouldn't tell me anything about him that I didn't already know. Maybe I am overly simplistic in that assumption.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:49 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
lazygood4nothinbum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,895
um, i'm not sure but i think their preference is lesbian porn. talk about completely lost on me.
__________________
"off with their heads"~~dr. joseph-ignace guillotin

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:40 PM   #9
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
um, i'm not sure but i think their preference is lesbian porn. talk about completely lost on me.
LOL!! I can imagine. See? I knew I was being too simplistic. Oh well!! I guess my argument broke down.

But really, would you get upset if your partner was looking at gay male porn? I wouldn't think that would be all that upsetting for you, though I don't know you so maybe it would be. I think that's probably analogous.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:56 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Okanagan Valley
Posts: 805
What people do on their own time for their interest or curiousity is completely up to them. I don't pass judgement on individual tastes. But there is a protocol to be adhered to in a work environment where no person should feel embarassed or threatened by those around him or her. That is the reason for comprehensive harassment policies at work.

Our IT folks would do network scans on a regular basis for images and then zero in on suspect ones. I had to provide warning notice to 3 employees in the late '90s for having porn images on their office, i.e. company, PCs. They quickly complied.
__________________
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:19 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Brat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 5,914
Absolutely!!!

Managers, supervisors, NEVER describe the behavior as a mental condition least the perp want 'accommodation for disability'.
__________________
Brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:41 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Obviously I never "got the hang of" being married. I've been very happily divorced for almost 10 years now. But personally, I can't imagine a wife being any more upset about her husband looking at porn and getting fired, than if he had just been looking at the ER message board on company time and got fired for that. Sheesh! Why take his web browsing tastes personally?

Being single is soooo much better for someone like me. I spend time with Frank because I like him, just as he is, and because we have fun together. Honestly, policing what he views online does not interest me.
So it would be okay if he had his profile on single sites
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 05:05 PM   #13
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
So it would be okay if he had his profile on single sites
To me, searching for and contacting someone by using a singles site is a lot different from looking at porn. See? I knew I was unsuited to marriage.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 05:21 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
um, i'm not sure but i think their preference is lesbian porn. talk about completely lost on me.

Absolutely. I can confirm this suspicion on behalf of 97.4% of the heterosexual male population.
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:20 AM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaRed View Post
Our IT folks would do network scans on a regular basis for images and then zero in on suspect ones. I had to provide warning notice to 3 employees in the late '90s for having porn images on their office, i.e. company, PCs. They quickly complied.
That's a good way to handle it. I sympathize with both sides on this. Obviously a company can't have its employees looking at porn all day on the internet. On the other hand, there are people for whom porn is really an addiction as much as alcoholism. Having an open internet computer on their desk is the equivalent of having an open alcohol cabinet in their office. This doesn't justify the porn browsing at work, but I wonder why companies can't lock the liquor cabinet? I mean, isn't there software that could lock out offensive sites at work? And not just offensive sites, there might be others who browse for recipes all day, or some other non-work sites.
__________________
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:30 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Okanagan Valley
Posts: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToRetire View Post
This doesn't justify the porn browsing at work, but I wonder why companies can't lock the liquor cabinet? I mean, isn't there software that could lock out offensive sites at work? And not just offensive sites, there might be others who browse for recipes all day, or some other non-work sites.
Yes, and many companies, including the one I retired from, do that to a large extent, but it was limited to known offensive sites (porn, hate, etc.). But it is a fine line between being overly prescriptive and blocking for good reasons. Ultimately too many sites come and go to keep up with it. So for the unknown or grey areas, there was a popup that asked whether the user really wants to visit that site and it was up to the user to decide.
__________________
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:36 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets
SamHouston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Houston
Posts: 218
The company that I retired from had a pop up that basically just said that the company had banned access to the particular site you were trying to access. But it seems to have been based on "key words" and the like rather than on specific site addresses.

I remember trying to find some information on breast cancer because of a question my wife had called me about and the sites were all blocked...I assume the fact that the word "breast" was found in the description of the sites caused them to be blocked. But it did make the HR and IT people happy, so what can you say?
__________________
"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." - Mark Twain
SamHouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:45 AM   #18
Moderator
bssc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,929
At our megacorp, certain specific sites are banned. I have a list of sites at work that I visit, such as here, which I know are not banned. I very rarely go past the list so I don't run into much. However, sometimes I see links show up as banned. The only other site was the Church of the Sub Genius. Maybe I should sue for religious discrimination.
__________________
bssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 03:34 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
Church of the Sub Genius.

That must be where Nords goes.
__________________
nil illegitimus carborundum
F M All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 07:07 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets
VoyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
But personally, I can't imagine a wife being any more upset about her husband looking at porn and getting fired, than if he had just been looking at the ER message board on company time and got fired for that. Sheesh! Why take his web browsing tastes personally?
Depends ... I wouldn't take it well at all if I found my spouse was perusing something involving children....
__________________

__________________
"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised." -- Kathryn Janeway
VoyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oral Sex Can Lead to Cancer Eagle43 Other topics 55 05-15-2007 10:52 AM
Click here if you like a good trumped-up sex scandal mickeyd Other topics 12 12-24-2006 11:55 AM
Poll: Do you answer your phone during sex? REWahoo Other topics 5 08-29-2006 12:54 AM
Teacher Arrested for Sex with Student REWahoo Other topics 42 06-08-2006 12:28 PM
How Often Do You Have Sex Experiences Danny Other topics 20 02-25-2006 09:02 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:26 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.