Join Early Retirement Today

USAA insurance
Old 12-16-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

USAA insurance

Hello All, and happy holidays. I am wondering what anybody knows about this insurance company. I called a few years ago and was not able to join. Now it is open to anybody retired or separated from service that has an honorable discharge. So I am now eligible. I am considering moving my cars and home to USAA. I have heard they have great rates and claim service is excellent. Anybody out there who are members have any thoughts about them?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I've been a USAA member and had insurance with them for 40 years. As insurance companies go, they are among the best.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, my wife has been a member for almost 20 years. We do all our insurance and banking business with USAA. We are happy with their services.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

They are most likely one of the best insurance companies out there. I believe they went through a management change in the last year or two. IMO, it got better. If you had ask me the same question five years ago, I would not have given them as good of a rating. Their hype did not live up to their practices. My opinion is based on three separate incidents in about a two year period, and I have heard the new management is attempting to move the company back to the USAA of old. I have had no recent non routine dealings with them, so I can not say for sure.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:19 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
Hello All, and happy holidays. I am wondering what anybody knows about this insurance company. I called a few years ago and was not able to join. Now it is open to anybody retired or separated from service that has an honorable discharge. So I am now eligible. I am considering moving my cars and home to USAA. I have heard they have great rates and claim service is excellent. Anybody out there who are members have any thoughts about them?
No complaints on auto insurance, although USAA is far more expensive on home insurance than Armed Forces Insurance. Both are about 9.6 out of 10.0, but AFI is perhaps financially smaller/weaker and might not be as able to handle a massive series of hurricanes.
Armed Forces Insurance - Eligibility Information

You also might find that USAA won't insure homes in some areas due to higher exposure. Never had that problem with AFI.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:18 PM   #6

My mother, brother and sister (in Chicago) and sister (in Florida) all insure with USAA and are long term satisfied customers. They also bank and CC with USAA.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:27 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like good news.... I should qualify.

I will look into their services.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:23 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Another 40+ year guy here also. I have been happy with USAA. Officer rates on auto/HO are better than those of enlisted/family members however it seems.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:29 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have USAA also. My ex had been in the military, and I think at first, you had to be a military vet or have some connection with the military to join. But, even after our divorce, they let me continue with them. Have never had a problem, nice people, good rates!
Old 12-18-2010, 06:09 AM   #10
Confused about dryer sheets

I'm also with USAA and wish I would have been with them sooner. Low insterest rates, excellent customer service, great car insurance rates, and it's great to be able to go to any ATM, and you'll be reimbursed the fees (up to 10 withdrawls a month).
Before I went to Europe in October I called my 2 credit card companies to advise that I would be traveling overseas and therefore there would be overseas transactions. My ATM debt card was with USAA and they were so much more pleasant on the phone that the other credit card company. You can't beat USAA.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:36 AM   #11

I like them. Their auto rates were unbeatable, but over the last two years in my area they have "gone through the roof". I've seen my premium go up over $480 per year. I had to adjust my co-pay to keep the price increase that low. Now they are comparable to other insurance agencies as far as rates go, some companies are cheaper some are not. I used to recommend them to everyone I knew was a vet or in the military. Now if you are with a good agency I don't recommend USAA. It's not that they are bad, but they have priced themselves to the competition not below it like it was.

Their homeowner's side is a bit different. When I lived in Florida they said they wouldn't insure me because I lived to close to the water. DW asked who they insured with and was told to hold. The guy came back and told her they would cover us but the house needed some improvements (all within a handyman's ability). When we moved to the Gulf Coast they were the only agency that would write us because of Katrina. I had to have an existing homeowner's or renter's policy but they would write it. They backdated a renter's policy for three months and wrote the homeowner's policy.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:07 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Very happy customer here.
All my auto and home insurance has been with USAA for over 40 years, except when I was stationed overseas where they don't operate.
My rates have always been lower than any other company (I check it every five years or so, just out of curiosity).
Haven't made a claim in many years, which probably accounts for the low rates, but whenever I have made a claim it was handled quickly and professionally, and to my satisfaction.

Happy with their banking services, too. I'd put them right up there with PenFed.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

We use them now, but they are not always the cheapest, so shop around regardless of your love for USAA.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #14
Administrator

Since they just sent me a $356 check for the annual distribution on my subscriber's account, I am feeling particularly charitable toward them right now. Seriously, I have had car, home and umbrella insurance with them for the past 30 years and have always been pleased. I also have a USAA credit card, but have never used any of their mutual funds or their banking services, so I can't opine on that.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:32 AM   #15

I have been with USAA for years-----have had some issues with the insurance coverage and some 'shady' stuff, but my husband, the wonderfully patient, tenacious bulldog that he is managed to handle those quite easily. They are usually cheaper than other insurance companies and do operate overseas.

Their banking is good - I was with PenFed, but when they stranded me 3 times in different countries and states, I went back with USAA - so far, so good. No complaints here in Germany - I travel a lot and have not had any issues. They also refund all of the damn ATM fees, although I can't seem to get out from under the foreign exchange fee on any of my credit cards.

Investment is OK - I prefer Vanguard.

Regarding unbrella insurance - if you have any infractions or claims on your insurance over the last 3-5 years, they will not issue umbrella insuarance - I tried. Had a speeding ticket (5 over) in CA and they said that made me un-insurable for umbrella - go figure. That's probably how they keep the rates low - I've heard stories of people being no longer insured by USAA due to some issues.

Remember, they are a company in business for themselves. I've watched over the year how they've morphed from insurance into banking and investments. YMMV.

Oh, and if you want to be on their Board, must have at least flag officer status (retired) - 2 stars or better as a minimum......
Old 12-19-2010, 07:40 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, deserat. I should have made it clear that USAA does operate in some overseas locations, just not where I was stationed.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:46 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post

Oh, and if you want to be on their Board, must have at least flag officer status (retired) - 2 stars or better as a minimum......
While that was once the case, it looks like they've lowered their standards expanded their base over the past few years. I count ten flag officers, three Colonels/Navy Captains and even (gasp!) a civilian.

https://www.usaa.com_board_of_directors

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote