Use a real estate agent or not?

aaronc879

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm selling my condo and wondering how difficult it is to sell a home on your own. My condo is worth ~$40,000 but the agent charges 6% at a minimum of $65,000. That means they are charging $3900 (plus a $225 fee for something) or about 10% to sell my home. That seems like an awful lot. I've never sold a property before so not sure what it takes. Any opinions on if it's worth the money?

If you are fairly knowledgeable about the process from selling or buying property in the past, it is pretty easy. In a past life I was a licensed real estate agent and had done a number of real estate transactions so I was quite comfortable selling on my own. We sold ourselves and our total cost was abut $400 of our attorney.

In our area, there is also a flat rate broker that charges about 3% as I recall.

10% is outrageous, I would think you could do much better shopping around.

I'd list it but I'd limit the "fee" to 5% of the selling price plus applicable fees you would haet to pay if you sold it yourself. To me it's a no brainer in your price range......I would question paying 6% when you're selling something for 500k and the commission is 30k.

I've sold 2 houses myself and purchased my current house which was FSBO. The actual process is not difficult if you have a real estate attorney. The hard part is marketing the house, finding the time to show it, and the problem of opening up your house to unknown persons. I think today given my busy schedule with w*ork, I'm not sure I would have the time and energy to do it.

Back
Top Bottom