Join Early Retirement Today

Use Gmail? Then read this!
Old 08-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Use Gmail? Then read this!

Google's Internet search engine to pull info from users' Gmail accounts in latest expansion | StarTribune.com

Perhaps this goes a bit too far...
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Maybe I'm dense, but what's the specific concern? Email was never very private, most companies reserve the right to monitor employees work emails as they wish, which often includes private emails. Credit card companies have had similar information on cardholders for a long time no? And mailing lists? It's a double edged sword, convenience vs privacy...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I read it and didn't understand what they plan to do. Does that mean if I google kittens
I will get everyone's emails about kittens or does it only bring up my emails about kittens.

If it lets you read everyones private mail then the system will be useless, both for email and for rele vant links.
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
After getting feedback from the test participants, Google hopes to give all Gmail users the option of plugging their accounts into the main search engine, according to Amit Singhal, a senior vice president for the company.
It sounds like if I agree, then at some future point someone doing a Google search for Virgin Mobile cell phones, for example, might get to see my gmail from that company? Or maybe the article means that my own Virgin Mobile searches on Google would include results from my gmail as well as the results I currently get, but not from other people's gmail?

(The article was confusing to me .)

Whichever it is, it sounds like we would have to opt into it.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

If I currently understand the idea - you will have to be logged into your account for the feature to work and it will be an option to sign up for so it will be your choice to use the feature or not.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The way this feature, now starting beta testing, will work is actually pretty reasonable. If you are logged into a Google account, AND you have enabled the option to make your Google Mail (gmail.com) searchable by Google Search, then Google Search results will show you web sites on the left side of the screen, and email search results down the right side of the screen. Searching on "amazon order", for example, would produce web links related to Amazon orders on the left side, and your emails from Amazon about orders on the right side.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
The way this feature, now starting beta testing, will work is actually pretty reasonable. If you are logged into a Google account, AND you have enabled the option to make your Google Mail (gmail.com) searchable by Google Search, then Google Search results will show you web sites on the left side of the screen, and email search results down the right side of the screen. Searching on "amazon order", for example, would produce web links related to Amazon orders on the left side, and your emails from Amazon about orders on the right side.
You got it. Basically this means you don't have to go to gmail to search for an email, you can simply search from the google search landing page, or presumably from the little search box many of us have in the upper right corner of our internet browsers. Pretty useful feature, but I understand the privacy concerns. This could be ugly if you leave yourself logged in to gmail and someone else uses the computer to google something, and inadvertently pulls up confidential emails. Wouldn't want DW to find out about DGF and vice versa...