Join Early Retirement Today

Used Books At Amazon
Old 08-06-2008, 06:48 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Used Books At Amazon

This is probably old stuff to most but I just discovered it. Books that cost $30-35 new (in this case, cookbooks at Amazon and local Barnes and Noble) cost about $4 used at Amazon.com. I was quite skeptical thinking at that price there must be something to be lost in quality,etc. I called the local library hoping to get some idea what they bought their books for. I didn't get an answer but I did find out from them that libraries often sell excess books that they get from contributions at good prices on Amazon.

I ordered a couple of books w/ the additional charge of $4 shipping/book
(shipping free if ordered new). They arrived within a week or so and they are in , to me, fine condition esp. for the price. In fact because they were in such good condition, one was returned by mistake to the library (we kept the other one in error and had to arrange an exchange). Amazon had a deal for $30 credit if you got their card, so net cost was zero (in fact still have $14 credit left).
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

paperbackswap.com
Old 08-06-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

paperbackswap.com

Check out this site

http://www.paperbackswap.com

They have hardbacks too. The books are free! You only have to pay shipping on the books you mail out to others to gain credits. You can also buy credits if you do not want to bother with the trading. I have saved hundreds of dollars on this site.
Have fun,
2fer
Old 08-06-2008, 11:09 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Oh, yeah, IMO, Amazon.com is sliced bread shaped like a wheel; I buy and sell many used books with them. I use their rewards credit card exclusively. Can't wait for my next statement, should qualify for another $25.00 coupon to apply towards a textbook for a class I'll be taking. SO's sister didn't want to retire cold turkey so she took an on-line job with Amazon; something about helping people decide what to buy. I think her career was in IT.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:21 AM   #4

I discovered Amazon.com not long after they opened and bought most of my textbooks there since they were much less expensive and I didn't have to drive 45 minutes to the college bookstore.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:42 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Walt, try ABE.com as well--I priced some of my textbooks there as cheaper than Amazon, and they bought them back at the end of the term, easy as pie.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:06 AM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

I like to purchase books on the Barnes and Noble site. Many of the books can be bought for a fraction of the retail price from one of their authorized sellers. I have bought many books for $5 and under.
Jessica08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:15 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

For textbooks, half.com is still the best IMO, and you can't forget eBay. Most mainstream books or somewhat out of the loop books you can find used or even new for very cheap prices on eBay. Amazon is still fantastic in selling used books, I would almost suggest never buying new when you can get them cheaper used... they are usually in fantastic condition and you save substantial costs.
CitricAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:22 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I try to get my books used off Amazon for .99 plus $3.98 shipping. Never had any problems.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:27 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

One problem with textbooks is that it's somewhat important to have the most current revision so sometimes I resort to buying new; at least at Amazon the book I'm looking at is already discounted new (with free shipping) and that precious $25.00 coupon from the credit card makes the price tolerable. Thanks for all the info, I, too, will look at the other sites.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:33 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

For textbooks, check out the international editions.

AbeBooks.com: Buy International Edition Textbooks FAQs

+1 on Paperbackswap.com.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:13 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitricAcid View Post
For textbooks, half.com is still the best IMO, and you can't forget eBay. Most mainstream books or somewhat out of the loop books you can find used or even new for very cheap prices on eBay. Amazon is still fantastic in selling used books, I would almost suggest never buying new when you can get them cheaper used... they are usually in fantastic condition and you save substantial costs.
Ditto. I buy most of my books at half.com. You can choose from new deeply discounted or used. Prices are usually stunningly low...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Plan B: I checked an old version (1994 instead of 2003) of the textbook out of the library today; it's due on Sept. 4 and can be re-newed for a month. A librarian was kind enough to tell me they keep no records of what people check out. So maybe I'll put it back in the library in early October, check it out again in mid-October, and re-new it again until finals. Cheap B*astardhood, here I come.

I remember one of my instructors from the same dept. complaining that that is how textbook companies make their money, alway have a new version to require. A funny thing happened, he himself didn't read the new "required" version and had a question on a take home test from the previous version. Well I found it in my 20-year-old book (worth all of one penny on Amazon) but no one else was able to answer the question. Turns out experts in that field no longer believe in that concept and edited it out of the new version.

BTW, the library had a blurb some time ago about not having any info to give to Homeland Security. That would not be the case with on-line sellers.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:50 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
I try to get my books used off Amazon for .99 plus $3.98 shipping. Never had any problems.

Same here,

Hillbilly
Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

I sell all my books on Amazon after I read them . I usually get books from the library but sometimes I don't want to wait so I just buy them and resell them after I've read them.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:32 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I find almost all of my technical books, especially out of print ones, at ABE books. They are dynamite.