Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Used Books on Amazon -- Prices Vary
Old 06-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Used Books on Amazon -- Prices Vary

When I looked at the Body by Science on Amazon, there were used copies for $10 + shipping. The next day, there were two copies for $.01 + $4 shipping (and I got one -- like new condition but with some pencil underlining). So, the lesson is, if you're not in a rush, check the prices periodically and you might get lucky.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

My DD got $160 worth of college textbooks for $25 using Amazon for used copies... the bookstore on campus was charging $85 for used copies of the same books/same condition.

I get a lot of my books for $.01 with $3.99 shipping and handling. They must make a profit on the s & h, or a lot of books would end up in the trash.
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I go to Book Finder and look for the lowest price among vendors. Often it is not Amazon

BookFinder.com: Search for New & Used Books, Textbooks, Out-of-Print and Rare Books
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
So, the lesson is, if you're not in a rush, check the prices periodically and you might get lucky.
Or let a computer do it for you (something I learned from this forum):

Amazon price tracker, Amazon price history charts, price watches, and price drop alerts. | camelcamelcamel.com

I assume it tracks used books too, but I don't know for certain. I installed the 'camelizer' extension in my Chromium browser.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:23 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

AbeBooks Official Site - New & Used Books, New & Used Textbooks, Rare & Out of Print Books is another good resource for used books from booksellers across the country.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:16 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Or let a computer do it for you (something I learned from this forum):

Amazon price tracker, Amazon price history charts, price watches, and price drop alerts. | camelcamelcamel.com

I assume it tracks used books too, but I don't know for certain. I installed the 'camelizer' extension in my Chromium browser.

-ERD50
Wow, looks like I was just very lucky with the BBS order (got it on June 8):

BBSPrice.jpg
Old 06-24-2011, 08:17 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
AbeBooks Official Site - New & Used Books, New & Used Textbooks, Rare & Out of Print Books is another good resource for used books from booksellers across the country.
More than that! I have got out-of-print technical books through ABE from India, Germany and England. It is my first stop for such things.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:19 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmm Rrr View Post
I get a lot of my books for $.01 with $3.99 shipping and handling. They must make a profit on the s & h, or a lot of books would end up in the trash.
A few years ago we bought 5 tons of clay from a wheeler-dealer up in Vancouver Washington. He had all sorts of make-a-buck things going on, but the biggest seemed to be a warehouse stacked with Gaylords (palletized cardboard containers maybe 40" high) full of books - He got them from Goodwill for cheap. Every now and again he would dump a Gaylord and sort through the pile - said he always found a few high dollar books that paid the cost of the container + his hired sorter/shipper.

The rest of the books he shelved and put on Amazon for a penny a book. Said that many buyers would buy 3-5 of a romance novel series or whatever, doing a search for same seller items. He would ship all the books together, spending $3-5, and make $10-15 on the lot as Amazon billed at $4 shipping/book. Sort of the selling water way to get rich, though he didn't have branding or cache' working for him. Truly a business were he made his money on volume.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:25 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Calm, what a story! And very enterprising.
I'm using paperbackbookswap a good bit for finding books, but still return to Amazon for lots of stuff, mostly newer books that I can't get easily anywhere else.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote