Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-12-2007, 10:08 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Which Honda did you get??
The Pilot. Seating for 8 - and I also sprung for the prisoner grandkid containment system. I like it because the cage is reinforced plexiglass, not stainless steel. Limits the flinging of liquids and semi-solids to the front seating area...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2007, 10:12 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The Pilot. Seating for 8 - and I also sprung for the prisoner grandkid containment system. I like it because the cage is reinforced plexiglass, not stainless steel. Limits the flinging of liquids and semi-solids to the front seating area...
Pilots are nice........don't they have 300 hp? My Odyssey has 244, and I think they juiced the engine in the Pilot some............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:27 AM   #23

300 hp? Nope, 244 just like your Odyssey...

Old 11-12-2007, 10:49 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
300 hp? Nope, 244 just like your Odyssey...
I think they're coming out with an option for 300 hp either enxt year or 2010.......

At least that's what the gurus say on the Honda forums..........

I like the Pilot, but I like the sliding doors on the van because I have a small garage..........

I think CFB has a Pilot.........

Old 11-12-2007, 10:58 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have a 2006 pilot 2wd - they are good cars - roomy - very good use of space (better then the lexus gx 470 we used to have in terms of space - those are taller/narrower) but of course the handling and other things are not as great as the lexus! i sat in an odyssey and didn't want to swing around all that extra space all the time - the 3rd row seat has come in handy and is just enough to get by on those special occasions.

Dad has my sister's 1990 integra - takes a licking and keeps on ticking! We're considering giving it to our son, once he decides that he should get his license (praying before he is 18!) it has just under 200k miles on it.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:21 AM   #26

Quote:
I like the Pilot, but I like the sliding doors on the van because I have a small garage..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
i sat in an odyssey and didn't want to swing around all that extra space all the time -
The Pilot is a replacement for DW/grandma's 2000 Mazda MPV minivan. She didn't want another minivan...said they weren't cool.

Quote:
I think CFB has a Pilot.........
Oh no. Hey, the dealership has a 24-hour return policy!

...the fine print says I can bring it back within 24 hours of purchase. I can't get my money back, but I'm welcome to return it.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:26 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a 91' Honda Accord that I sold at 240,000 and it was running like a top. Changed the oil every 5000 miles and the timing belt every 90,000.

I have a 92 Camry with just over 200,000 and it is going strong. I do have to add a quart of oil every 2500 miles but otherwise no problems. Just change the oil ever 5000 miles.

I had a 2001 Toyota Rav-4 and it was a piece of junk. My sister has a 2006 Toyota Highlander that has had a LOT of problems. To me, Toyota has gone downhill since the 90's. I don't think Honda has had these problems.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:49 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I have a 2004 Pilot. I ran into the same thing, buying used wasn't going to be much less than new, so I bought new. 66K, no worries. Gas mileage isn't quite as good as I was hoping for. 70mph seems to be the cutoff point, it starts falling off above that.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:16 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
. Gas mileage isn't quite as good as I was hoping for.
Well, it is an SUV.........

As for me, I went from an SUV to a Honda Accord almost 2 years ago, and from 17-18 mpg to an average of almost 29..........and I don't miss the SUV at all.........

Old 11-12-2007, 01:34 PM   #30

Yup, I'm dumping the pilot soon for a prius!
Old 11-12-2007, 01:46 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
Yup, I'm dumping the pilot soon for a prius!
Tripling your gas mileage? NOT FAIR!!!

Old 11-12-2007, 01:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Tripling your gas mileage? NOT FAIR!!!
going to try to hold out for the 2009 w/ the 90 mpg! fill up once per month!!!

before the suv's i'd always had honda/acura and was used to at least 30 mpg or more...the pilot is killing me!
Old 11-12-2007, 02:08 PM   #33

In March 2003 I bought a '97 Taurus Wagon with 89,500 miles on it for $3900. I gave the Taurus to my son this past July when I bought my brother in law's '98 Windstar with 92,000 miles for $1300. The Windstar was his company car and he kept it in tip top condition. Our other car is a 2000 Camry bought new and which we will drive into the ground and then buy a 2 to 3 year old car.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:15 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, it is an SUV.........
The Pilot is the first car I've owned that I rarely get the EPA estimates on and I don't believe my driving habits have changed. I'm not a leadfoot.

It's supposed to get 17/22. I've gotten 22-23 on just 2 or 3 tank fulls. Even with 100% interstate driving I'm usually at 20, and sometimes not even that. In town is more like 14. I was on the hondapilot.org forum for awhile, and many people were getting lower numbers like me.

That's why I'm a bit disappointed in it. I bought what I thought was the most fuel efficient 6 cyl SUV, and it's not better than many of the others.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:18 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
The Pilot is the first car I've owned that I rarely get the EPA estimates on and I don't believe my driving habits have changed. I'm not a leadfoot.

It's supposed to get 17/22. I've gotten 22-23 on just 2 or 3 tank fulls. Even with 100% interstate driving I'm usually at 20, and sometimes not even that. In town is more like 14. I was on the hondapilot.org forum for awhile, and many people were getting lower numbers like me.

That's why I'm a bit disappointed in it. I bought what I thought was the most fuel efficient 6 cyl SUV, and it's not better than many of the others.
I've got an Odyssey that shuts down the cylinders from 6 to 3 on the highway, and the best I ever got was 28. In a 50/50 mix, I get 20, that's it.......

Old 11-12-2007, 03:32 PM   #36

I'm not expecting great mileage from the Pilot. I purchased it to haul around the thundering herd grankids and all their "stuff", not as an economy car. After all it's called an SUV, which I understand is short for "Sucks Up Vuel".

Old 11-12-2007, 03:53 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm not expecting great mileage from the Pilot. I purchased it to haul around the thundering herd grankids and all their "stuff", not as an economy car. After all it's called an SUV, which I understand is short for "Sucks Up Vuel".
So it's German..........