Join Early Retirement Today

Used Civic or used Accord??
Old 06-05-2008, 01:04 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Used Civic or used Accord??

I have a good friend whose lease is up on his SUV, and wants a smaller car. I am biased toward the Accord, but the 2006 and newer Civics I have heard are nice.

He has two kids and is tall like me (6'2") Is there enough room for a taller person in the newer Civic model? I thought a few on here had the car. BTW, he needs a sedan........ Thanks.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2008, 01:44 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I had an accord in the early 80's. A Stick shift as well. Looks like I will revisiting one in the near future. My Trailblazer gets no better mileage than a Tahoe.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'm 6'2" and I test drove the new Civic when it came out. I'm very impressed with the fit and finish and quality. I fit quite well in the front seat, but I wouldn't want to ride too long in the back. Not horrible though.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:58 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I had an accord in the early 80's. A Stick shift as well. Looks like I will revisiting one in the near future. My Trailblazer gets no better mileage than a Tahoe.
I heard the new Acadia and Enclave gets 24 mpg on the highway......

Old 06-05-2008, 02:04 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

About height and fitting in cars... A group of people all say 6'2" tall may fit differently. One person may have long legs and a shorter torso, another shorter legs and a longer torso, and all sorts of variations in between. The true test is for the person concerned to try it.

This came out of a conversation once in a small group of people all the same height. We were surprised how different the legroom for us was in auditorium seating. We all swapped around seats, and then discovered it was us, not a variation in seat spacing.
Also, someone with a big butt is going to take up more fore-and-aft seating space.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:30 PM   #6

saw a civic on the road other day and did a double-take 'cause i liked it but didn't know what it was. nice car.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:50 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

With most small cars it is usually the rear seat that is difficult to fit into. The only way to be sure a car fits you is to try it out. It seems that the Civic now is about the same size as what the Accord used to be 4-5 years ago.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 05:53 PM   #8

I like my 2006 (redesigned model) Civic. I'm 5'8" and fit ok...course that is a few inches short from 6'. One thing that I have just a little problem with is getting out of it. I had a SUV my last car before the Civic and I climbed DOWN to get out of the seat. Now, with the Civic I have to rise UP to get out. I guess it was just easier falling out of my other car than going thru the work of pulling myself out. Not a biggie tho.....I really like my Civic. My daughter also has one, same year as mine. I have the EX (4 door) and she has the LX (2 door).
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:21 PM   #9

My 6'2" 210-lb dad bought a 2008 Civic and he, my mom and I drove from SF to San Diego in it a couple of months ago.

I am 5'6" and 150lbs, and rode in the back when I wasn't taking my turn at the wheel.

We were all happy, and had enough room left for a week's worth of luggage besides.
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:14 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Why not just go to the dealership and test drive both?
Old 06-05-2008, 07:16 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

And check out a Hyundai, while you are at it.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:55 PM   #12

You're right brewer. I got my daughter a Hyundai Elantra a few years ago and it has been great. Best warranty in the business, good gas mileage and has been very reliable.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:05 PM   #13

I test drove a 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid. I'm 5'9" and had plenty of room to spare. I actually thought the quality was really nice. I was really sold on the look as well.

With that being said, the better half of my most recently failed relationship had an older Accord and I loved it and would much rather have that, newer or older.
RetiredGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:49 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
I test drove a 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid. I'm 5'9" and had plenty of room to spare. I actually thought the quality was really nice. I was really sold on the look as well.

With that being said, the better half of my most recently failed relationship had an older Accord and I loved it and would much rather have that, newer or older.
I love my 2003 Accord sedan, it is easily the best car I have ever owned............

Old 06-06-2008, 08:06 AM   #15

The '06 and newer Civics are pretty spacious, but given the marginal difference in cost, even for a used one, I'd go Accord.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:30 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Civics are so popular for young men (at least they used to be--DS is still driving a stick 100K+ mileage 98 Civic) that I would want the "grown-up" Accord. Loved our old Accord.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:59 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

6' tall, or use to be I haven't measured lately. Love our 2006 Civic 4 door. Bought it new and we have about 37,000 miles on it and have averaged 34mpg all types of driving, Winter/Summer, town/trips. 40+mpg on trips. Lots of room and comfortable on trips. I loved it as soon as I drove it. Took the wife down since she is short and often doesn't like the same cars I like and it fit her perfect to. We often go places with 4 adults and no one complains.

The hybrid drew me in but ended up buying the middle trim level, the difference in mpg didn't seem to justify the extra cost since it was only available on the high end model and didn't think we need a sun roof and fancy wheels for the extra cost.

The Accord is a bit lager but doesn't get as good a mpg and is more than a little more expensive if you compare comparable trim levels.

Jeb
Jeb-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:04 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
And check out a Hyundai, while you are at it.
I am sure you posted somewhere else... but I dont' remember... do you have one...

I will agree... I was very impressed with these cars... and they seemed a LOT cheaper than the Japanese cars...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:07 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I am sure you posted somewhere else... but I dont' remember... do you have one...

I will agree... I was very impressed with these cars... and they seemed a LOT cheaper than the Japanese cars...
Nope, don't own one. But my next door neighbors have two and the babysitter has one and they all seem to be very nice cars, especially for the money. The long term reliability data on Hyundai's has been steadily improving, too.

If I needed a runabout, I would also at least go test drive a Kia Rondo.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Nissan Versa
Old 06-06-2008, 10:14 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Nissan Versa

Take a look at the Versa. I think there is more room in the back seat than a Civic and Accord. The hatch back or the sedan is available. Only feature lacking in the sedan is the seats do not fold down. Price is eqaul or better the Civic as is MPG also.
cashbalancetrouble is offline   Reply With Quote