Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-18-2008, 12:14 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I don't know if you remember but the Taurus was the biggest seller for a number of years in the 80's and 90's. Then the Explorer was the hot number for Ford. Now they have nothing hot.
Didn't Ford pad their numbers with the fleet sales on the taurus to give them the numbers lead? I am probably wrong. The F-150 is a nice truck, but I have no need to pull an trailer from the bottom of a quarry that has frozen wheel bearings, so I guess I'll pass.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2008, 12:31 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'd love to stick to honda if they had a car w/ the same features - Finance dude teased me with the Stream - but i'm not sure when it's coming and this mzda deal seems too good to pass up right now...odyssey is way too big and their sedans don't fit the bill. The Fit is cute, seen a lot of them popping up and might be fine for me and the little girls, but not for DS and SO who are both over 6 ft and big footed, long legged! ha! let alone somewhere to put the pooch when we travel..! The pooch was the kicker for the prius, nowhere for him to go if we had all 5 of us in tow...w/ the 5 we can shove him (in crate) in the back w/ the luggage...

Still have to test drive the sucker though, will try to do that this weekend. I'm used to decent horsies from honda, but will see how it goes. It's all been downhill since we returned our lex*s GX (that was a NICE car, could drive in rain, hail whatever and handle it all), so I'm not holding high expectations, just don't want to "put put" up all the hills in my hood.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #23

FD, I don't remember but I'm sure they did. But as far as they were concerned it didn't make any diff. where the cars were going as long as they were going.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:59 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
FD, I don't remember but I'm sure they did. But as far as they were concerned it didn't make any diff. where the cars were going as long as they were going.
Kinda like the day I ordered 8 Neons and Plymouth shipped me 46, and said "We can't help you". Later that week I got followed around by the CFO screaming in my ear for an hour about "floorplan interest"..........

Old 12-18-2008, 01:07 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Didn't Ford pad their numbers with the fleet sales on the taurus to give them the numbers lead?
As I recall, the Taurus initially gained the number one spot largely on retail sales, but as the years went by and Ford made some styling changes that were not well received, fleet sales became much more important. In 1996, 51% of Taurus sales were to rental fleets, and by 1997 the Camry was the best selling car in the US.

We helped our daughter buy a used 2001 Taurus this year. It is nothing fancy, but it is heavy, solid, has side airbags (an option) excellent crash test results, and has been reliable so far (after replacement of the broken rear springs, a comon problem Ford knows about but will not fix). Cheap, reliable, safe transportation.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:14 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
We helped our daughter buy a used 2001 Taurus this year. It is nothing fancy, but it is heavy, solid, has side airbags (an option) excellent crash test results, and has been reliable so far (after replacement of the broken rear springs, a comon problem Ford knows about but will not fix). Cheap, reliable, safe transportation.
Maybe the Fusion and Malibu can tout the same thing in the future.....

Old 12-18-2008, 01:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Kinda like the day I ordered 8 Neons and Plymouth shipped me 46, and said "We can't help you". Later that week I got followed around by the CFO screaming in my ear for an hour about "floorplan interest"..........
Yeah, and now that some customers want the dealers to give up the 3% that helped pay that interest, well...........you know
Old 12-23-2008, 02:14 PM   #28

Ok, so we test drove the car- for a long drive ! As some reviewers noted, it is not that quick up a hill - we were loaded up with a tall/big salesguy, 2 kids in their car seats and SO in the back. Handling is great, really like a regular car, but not so quick up the hill, I was almost flooring it to get to about 40 mph - but didn't try the automatic/manual which allows me to downshift pretty easily - so only question would be if we ever went up to the mountains, how slow would we go?!

Otherwise, liked everything else - the flexibility of the interior has many different configurations, love the lower entry than pilot (no more lifting toddler!) and sliding doors rock!

I also have to recommend the emailing dealers feature on edmunds, very painless, one simple form, went out to all the dealers in about 20 or so miles and got very quick responses, they are all answering questions promptly and I don't have to drive around and talk to people.

Also applied for loan on penfed, which was also super easy! So once I decide something, will pull the trigger on the loan and go to the dealer.

All the dealers so far are coming in below invoice - msrp is 22675 and invoice is 21229 according to edmunds, and quotes now are at about $20k.

When we took the test drive, they told us they only sold 3 cars that weekend! A good weekend for them was about 40 cars, high around 60-70, so this was the worst!

One dealer is offering a 2008 new, for $19k...any reason to hold out for a 2009?

having fun...so far!
Old 12-23-2008, 03:12 PM   #29

If the 2008 and 09 are the same and you're keeping it for the long term I'd go for the 2008. 6 years from now it won't make any difference what year it is, it's mostly condition at that point. So why not save the coin now.

If you like the options and color of the 08 make a lowball offer and see what happens.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:19 PM   #30

If it is slow up hill, no problem, if that translate into it is slow passing, that's not safe. Really depends on how many two lane roads you drive. I had a 4 cyl Accord. When you went to pass, it actually took power off the car momentarily, to let the engine speed up (so the salesman said) then accelerated. It worked but there were a couple of times that it gave me a sinking feeling.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:29 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Consumer Reports says of the Mazda5, "The 4-cyl engine provides adequate performance but lacks reserve power when carrying full loads or climbing hills", so your test drive jives with their ratings. Although the car shows only average reliability, they do list it as a recommended model.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:52 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Consumer Reports says of the Mazda5, "The 4-cyl engine provides adequate performance but lacks reserve power when carrying full loads or climbing hills", so your test drive jives with their ratings. Although the car shows only average reliability, they do list it as a recommended model.
I hate underpowered cars. There are hills and mountains all around me, and it just doesn't work out. I have a Subaru Impreza which is pretty good, but I wish I had paid up for the WRX with turbo. Years ago I had a Saab 3 cylindar 2 cycle. My wife's aunt and uncle were visiting. I had to ask them to walk up the long drive where I could pick them up, because my car didn't have the torque to handle the extra 400 #. Embarrassed me totally.

Ha
Old 12-24-2008, 08:52 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
I'd love to stick to honda if they had a car w/ the same features -
Have you looked at the Honda Element? Some do not like the looks but after I drove one, I ended up buying an Element in '07. It is great for dogs, has lots of leg room (I'm 6'3"), gets decent mileage (my AWD averages 24-25 mpg with mix of driving and 29-30 on the highway), and has plenty of power even though it is a 4cyl. This is my first Honda (after driving Toyota's for years) but so far it has been a great car.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:08 AM   #34

And with the Element you can go camping!

This is done by a firm in San Diego. Ursa Minor Vehicles - ECAMPER
Old 12-24-2008, 01:57 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I hate underpowered cars. There are hills and mountains all around me, and it just doesn't work out. I have a Subaru Impreza which is pretty good, but I wish I had paid up for the WRX with turbo. Years ago I had a Saab 3 cylindar 2 cycle. My wife's aunt and uncle were visiting. I had to ask them to walk up the long drive where I could pick them up, because my car didn't have the torque to handle the extra 400 #. Embarrassed me totally.

Ha
boo! Me too, does downshifting on hills get you the power you need?

We live on a hill with hills all around so that is my greatest fear in terms of annoyance.

That said, 89% of the time it will just be me and the girls so about 400# less than we had on board for the test drive...
Old 12-24-2008, 02:17 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Maybe the Fusion and Malibu can tout the same thing in the future.....
I sure hope so. Detroit has become home of the fleet queens. It's the only thing that keeps their volumes up.

I really hope the new 'Bu is a game winner. I dig the looks, and I hope it's a strong car long-term.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:46 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
boo! Me too, does downshifting on hills get you the power you need?

We live on a hill with hills all around so that is my greatest fear in terms of annoyance.

That said, 89% of the time it will just be me and the girls so about 400# less than we had on board for the test drive...
To a degree, yes, especially if your car will wind up to high rpms. But there are limits. I think if you live in a hilly or mountainous area it is best to get adequate power from the get-go. With low power it can be hard to start a loaded stick shift car from a stop on a steep hill.

Ha
Old 12-24-2008, 07:00 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

bright eyed, if you aren't completely sold on the 5, take a spin in the Kia Rondo. Supposed to be a nice car in much the same vein.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:06 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
Have you looked at the Honda Element? Some do not like the looks but after I drove one, I ended up buying an Element in '07. It is great for dogs, has lots of leg room (I'm 6'3"), gets decent mileage (my AWD averages 24-25 mpg with mix of driving and 29-30 on the highway), and has plenty of power even though it is a 4cyl. This is my first Honda (after driving Toyota's for years) but so far it has been a great car.
We were looking at one, for the dogs, the camping, and all the other reasons. But we drove two of them, and they both shook and rattled far worse than my Highlander. Also seemed to be under powered. We wanted to like it, but it convinced us otherwise.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:48 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I've always bought used cars (preferably owned by one owner, I use Carfax for my due diligence when shopping) at a discount and then drive them down to the ground. Been told that car's depreciation is the greatest in the first three years or so, so my preference is for someone else to take the hit on the depreciation. Especially now, there should be decent buying opportunities if you are careful and patient.

Had great experiences with Mazda RX6 which lasted 180k+ and we're still driving our 97 Volvo 850 and 94 Volvo 940 each with 130k+ miles on them. Dem foreigners sure know how to build good cars that last.

Salaryman

Tags
buying car, car loans