Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-11-2016, 01:05 PM   #41

Another small consideration: Let's say something suddenly needs repair (engine malfunction, recall, whatever), and the vehicle has to go into the shop for a week or so. Not a good situation.

I would also consider Sunset's suggestion. Years ago I had a friend with one of those campers that slide into a pickup truck bed and he loved it. It even had a standup shower. He would often go off on vacations lasting two or three weeks with wife and child. I was surprised at how roomy it was inside, and the great part is that you can leave it at a campground and drive your pickup out from under it to have a more practical vehicle.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2016, 08:08 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I really like Sunset's idea about the truck camper. That would give you a lot of the flexibility you are looking for in a smaller package and still be a vehicle you can use to tow a trailer later if you upgrade.

We had an older RV for a while, a 1976 to be exact, and although it had some quirks, it ran pretty well and had only around 100k miles on it when we bought it for $9k. It was an easy and cheap way for us to try out the lifestyle and we sold it last year to a guy for $7k who was using it to drive and live in while doing contract work.

Maybe consider a cheap "try it out" version before investing in an expensive custom job like that one. And perhaps you may find that stealth is overrated, since folks park RVs in all sorts of places without much comment, unless you linger on a residential street for weeks at a time.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:50 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have heard those truck campers called widow makers. They are top heavy and really change the center of gravity making them prone to roll over.

I would look at one built on the Sprinter chassis with the smaller Mercedes diesel engine. They are nice, small and versatile. Maybe a little pricey though.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:50 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
I have heard those truck campers called widow makers. They are top heavy and really change the center of gravity making them prone to roll over.............
It takes a much bigger truck that one would think to handle a camper with all the junk in it. I'd recommend an F350 dually.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:54 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

In an accident I would rather be in a truck camper than a Geo Metro.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:23 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
OP has given up on the RV idea and is now looking at buying a house

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1780748
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:43 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
OP has given up on the RV idea and is now looking at buying a house

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1780748
I'm still potentially interested in purchasing an RV but it wouldn't be to live in year round. It would be to live in while snow birding in Florida in the winter probably starting in early 2018. I would be looking for something under $10K and not over 22ft preferably. I would no longer be considering the campervan in the first post as it would be far too expensive if I have a mortgage.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:11 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I haven't looked at all the postings but I did watch the whole video and it really is an interesting RV. In its favor are 1) Price, espicaly for low mileage, 2) really well thought out systems. I have been studying Class B RVs, including Roadtrek, Pleasure Way, Winnabego and Sportsmobile. New versions of these Class B RVs run from $90K to $140K.
Couple downsides, no toilet/shower, sink or stove, killer for DW or I would be on the phone to them and AFAIK the Ram units are a cut below the MB or Ford transit platforms. Less powerful engine, Fiat and probably harder to get serviced. (I had a diesel needed replacement in my Jeep and the cost was remarkable).
If it suits you as a 'toy hauler' configuration (not commenting on the bar ) then I would have a mechanic check out the drive system, maybe a compression check or oil analysis and go for it. If I could talk DW into it I would be on a plane to check it out for myself.