Join Early Retirement Today

Used RV valuation?
Old 09-10-2016, 02:16 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Used RV valuation?

I sold my condo so I have no property tying me down for now. I'm considering buying a small campervan/RV to live in for a year, or two, or.... I know little about RVs and have no idea how to place a value on a used one. I would be traveling alone and want the smallest vehicle that has enough space to sleep in. I'm looking at this one since it's stealth which would allow me to sleep anywhere with little attention. Those of you who have some experience with rvs, is this price reasonable? 2014 Dodge Other, Sussex WI - - RVtrader.com

Here's a video:
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2016, 02:24 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I don't know - looks sweet - no bathroom though but I know you want stealth - have you checked with other dealers around the country are asking for this model?
Old 09-10-2016, 02:33 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I don't know - looks sweet - no bathroom though but I know you want stealth - have you checked with other dealers around the country are asking for this model?
That's the problem. This is a custom job so there's nothing to compare it to. This is a 2014 Dodge RAM ProMaster 3500 Ext Diesel with heavy modifications. Here's a pic of what it looks like off the factory floor:
Car and Driver
Old 09-10-2016, 02:35 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The 'no bathroom' is not a big deal to me. I'll always be near a bathroom and I would get a membership at a gym with locations all over the country and open 24hrs and use that to shower.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:45 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

yeah I get it - bathrooms are pretty easy to access nowadays - with that space it's one sacrifice you have to make - like I said - looks sweet, I'm sure someone on this forum can provide a qualified opinion on the value - good luck!
Old 09-10-2016, 02:50 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
The 'no bathroom' is not a big deal to me. I'll always be near a bathroom and I would get a membership at a gym with locations all over the country and open 24hrs and use that to shower.
Really ?
At 3am if you have to go after waking up from sleep ?
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:51 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

^ chamber pot
Old 09-10-2016, 02:57 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I live in an RV full time and I think stealth is over-rated. You need to look at what you can live with. Also I'm 6'3 so a sprinter chassis was out of the question. I wanted a dedicated bed, a shower I can fully stand up in, and a jackknife sofa so I could have a place to play guitar without dealing with arm rests. I found everything I wanted in a 22ft class C RV. I only paid $13k and the motor has 43k on it. Save the money and put it towards gas.
retirementguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:58 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Really ?
At 3am if you have to go after waking up from sleep ?
I'll usually be parked at a 24 hr walmart so I can go inside to go #2. As for #1, i'll get one of those plastic urinal things to use inside the van if it's in the middle of the night. I could also get a 5 gallon bucket and padded seat to use for #2 if i'm parked in a National Forest somewhere. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...tag=geo02a9-20
Old 09-10-2016, 03:03 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retirementguy1 View Post
I live in an RV full time and I think stealth is over-rated. You need to look at what you can live with. Also I'm 6'3 so a sprinter chassis was out of the question. I wanted a dedicated bed, a shower I can fully stand up in, and a jackknife sofa so I could have a place to play guitar without dealing with arm rests. I found everything I wanted in a 22ft class C RV. I only paid $13k and the motor has 43k on it. Save the money and put it towards gas.
A dedicated bed is my number one must have. If you watch the video in the first post you'll see that this has a dedicated bed. It also has a seat similar to a sofa. I'll check out some Class C's but this seems like it could be good for a long time. It's a diesel so it should last for hundreds of thousands of miles.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:45 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'll usually be parked at a 24 hr walmart so I can go inside to go #2. As for #1, i'll get one of those plastic urinal things to use inside the van if it's in the middle of the night. I could also get a 5 gallon bucket and padded seat to use for #2 if i'm parked in a National Forest somewhere. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...tag=geo02a9-20
Yeah, I was just wondering if you had thought about it.
I have stealth overnight 6 or so times now in my Van, and I have a bucket with a garbage bag and kitty litter in the bottom, plus a tight fitting lid.

So have you tried even overnighting in a van ?
I suggest you just rent a uhaul, throw a mattress in the back and a sleeping bag and try a few nights in a parking lot.

It is an experience, and you learn some stuff right away which would be good and could save you $55,000.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:48 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
^ chamber pot
We used to use those when we were little so we didn't have to go outside at night where the animals could get us.

Worse thing was dumping it in the morning. Rule was you use it, you dump it. It taught you to not drink water after supper
Old 09-10-2016, 05:52 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, I was just wondering if you had thought about it.
I have stealth overnight 6 or so times now in my Van, and I have a bucket with a garbage bag and kitty litter in the bottom, plus a tight fitting lid.

So have you tried even overnighting in a van ?
I suggest you just rent a uhaul, throw a mattress in the back and a sleeping bag and try a few nights in a parking lot.

It is an experience, and you learn some stuff right away which would be good and could save you $55,000.
I have slept in my Subaru Forester a few times when I went down to Florida in the winter. I'm 6'6" so it was too small for me. I would need a van or RV with a full bed like the one I posted.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:54 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I'll admit I skipped through the video, but what I saw didn't impress me.
You seriously have to think, since these vans at that age sell for 32K -> 48K , what is the value of all the stuff he added, and how well was it done.
Since it looks like it would take a person about a year to add this stuff on (unless it's the 4th one he has done) that means he used it for a year and is now dumping it.
Why ??
What is wrong with it that he is going to get rid of it ?

Maybe he says something in the video about this and I didn't see it, but if he gave the reason he is buying something bigger, then perhaps you should consider that also.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:57 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have slept in my Subaru Forester a few times when I went down to Florida in the winter. I'm 6'6" so it was too small for me. I would need a van or RV with a full bed like the one I posted.
Well that is good. Some experience.

I think there is a world of difference from sleeping overnight to avoid hotel costs and living full time in a van.

You can park an RV at Walmart just like a van but it would be a lot nicer inside and you could stand up.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:05 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well that is good. Some experience.

I think there is a world of difference from sleeping overnight to avoid hotel costs and living full time in a van.

You can park an RV at Walmart just like a van but it would be a lot nicer inside and you could stand up.
I'm not sure what to do. Any regular RV I could afford would be older and those RVs have big engines that may not be very reliable as they approach 100,000 miles whereas the van I posted has a I4 diesel that should last a few hundred thousand miles and get twice the gas mileage. I wouldn't be just parking it somewhere and not driving it. I still work and travel around the country doing 6-8 contract jobs per year so I need something that I can reliably put 15,000+ miles a year onto.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:14 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

This last November I car camped in my Honda Element in San Diego. I had a twin inflatable air mattress, a cooler for food, and a Coleman two burner propane stove. I took sponge baths in starbucks bathrooms. It was smelly and wasn't pretty. I did have a great time...for two weeks......To the OP, this is a weekend rig, designed to carry motorcycles. The original owner never spent more than a weekend in it. If you want to full time you need to look for something else.
retirementguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:15 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm not sure what to do. Any regular RV I could afford would be older and those RVs have big engines that may not be very reliable as they approach 100,000 miles whereas the van I posted has a I4 diesel that should last a few hundred thousand miles and get twice the gas mileage. I wouldn't be just parking it somewhere and not driving it. I still work and travel around the country doing 6-8 contract jobs per year so I need something that I can reliably put 15,000+ miles a year onto.
I see.
When I contracted around the country I would rent a room in a house $500/mo and use of the laundry and kitchen, or some were really like little apts within the house itself.

The issue I see with a van or RV for what you want is Winter, it will be colder than crazy in a van or RV and even in summer, it will be baking hot.

I would get a contract and drive to the new city renting an Extended Stay America type hotel (kitchen was important) for a week, and renew an extra week if needed. Then I literally grabbed a newspaper first day and looked online for rooms to rent. I'd phone them and go visit appropriate ones as soon as I could (1 or 2 per night after work).
It was pretty easy and if any place I wanted was hesitant about me, because I'd tell them I'm contracting, I would offer to pay 2 months up front (and get receipt).

What do you do currently ?
Old 09-10-2016, 06:15 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Get a feel for how much different models cost from here....

Used RVs, Motorhomes for Sale, and Consigned sales - PPL Motor Homes

I spent less than 2 minutes looking at diff parts of the video... when I saw the generator INSIDE the van I passed...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:18 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Shower in a RV is worthless. Mold, fills up your holding tank too fast, uses up your water supply, have to wait for water to heat.

We built in a bathroom but honestly you could get by the way we are camping by just using a porta potty. I use the campground bathrooms for heavy loads anyway as I don't want to be dumping our tanks often. Taking a hot 20 minute shower at a Army Corp campground (water, electricity included) that cost you $18 a night ($9 a night for seniors) is so much better than cramming yourself in a RV shower and trying to limit your use to about 3 or 4 gallons.

Things I like in a small RV are good sleeping area (we have a 10 inch thick sleep number air mattress), good sitting area (leather recliner sofa) and good kitchen.

edit: Air conditioning is about a requirement.

The van looks pretty nice.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote