Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
I reuse the the plastic ones for garbage and waste basket liners, I never buy trash bags.
I have been doing this for more than 20 years. I put a paper bag inside a plastic one because sometimes the plastic ones alone rip or leak.

As for air at a gas station, I don't pay for it because I am a regular customer there and one of the employees pushes a button and I get air for free.

Another way something which used to be free but is no longer free is how you have to pay flat (monthly) charges for things even if you don't use them that month. For example, my long-distance phone service provider (Verizon) once had no monthly charge so if you made no LD calls that month you paid nothing. A few years ago, they began charging me $1.50 a month even if I made ZERO LD calls. Because I rarely made any LD calls, I thought this was a ripoff, so I simply canceled my LD service. This was 5 years ago and I have never made any LD calls (other than toll-free calls, which are exempt) since then. BTW I have no cell phone, either.

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post

Free Bank Checks (even interest bearing accounts) Hah!... We even had to pay for the "free starter checks" and they froze our initial deposit for 3 days...
no Free checks and .007% interest..

?
Note that the issue of checks for no charge depends upon what minimum balance you keep, with enough you get the checks for no charge.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Free love? ...

Or is a relic (like I am) from the 60's?
Free clinic...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

That's because of the need to use credit card or PayPal to pay online. Those services charge a fee, which would get passed on to everybody in your municipality (including you) through higher taxes.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post

There's even a charge to pay our property taxes online.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Free love? ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Free clinic...
Oh, it might've been "free", but you still paid the price...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #26

As far as I know, a glass of water at a restaurant is still free. At least for now. Books, magazines and movies at local libraries are still "free". Sort of unless you count your tax dollars.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehs1 View Post
As far as I know, a glass of water at a restaurant is still free. At least for now. Books, magazines and movies at local libraries are still "free". Sort of unless you count your tax dollars.
Way better than free!
The library component of our property taxes is a little over $90 a year. DW and I are avid library users, and we get many times that much value out of it, so I consider this one of the best possible uses of our tax money.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Way better than free!
The library component of our property taxes is a little over $90 a year. DW and I are avid library users, and we get many times that much value out of it, so I consider this one of the best possible uses of our tax money.
Which makes the point exactly. As soon as the anti-tax people hear your "shouting from the rooftop," they will start whining about paying for your use of the Library. Taxes will go down and your usage fee will sky rocket... or we will be be reminising about the Libraries of yesteryear.

(On the side: Libraries are kinda obsoleted by, among other things, the Internet aren't they? I haven't been in one for about ten years). Prior to that it was at least weekly.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #29

Anyone under the age of 40 won't relate to this one:

Free "tube testers".
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
(On the side: Libraries are kinda obsoleted by, among other things, the Internet aren't they? I haven't been in one for about ten years). Prior to that it was at least weekly.)
Both the library where we used to live in Louisiana and the one where we live now in Texas have an online "free" service where you can borrow e-books you can download to a Kindle or similar, and also audio books you can download to an mp3 player.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
That's because of the need to use credit card or PayPal to pay online. Those services charge a fee, which would get passed on to everybody in your municipality (including you) through higher taxes.

Amethyst
I was aware of that! In our town it is a fee on top of that transaction fee. It is called a 'convenience fee' and the reasoning is that you don't have to put a stamp on it or bring it to town hall.

It's just another way to get a few bucks out of people.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #32

Quote:
Here in Mass, not only is nothing free, it's damn expensive sometimes!

There's a fee/charge/tax on just about everything except hot air. There's even a charge to pay our property taxes online.
In Tx if you pay by credit card for property taxes or auto reg there is a fee since the state wants the full amount, and will not accept the fee, so you get to pay. Note that in the early 1980s in Harris County you had to buy license tags with currency, no checks were accepted, so progress has been made.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Anyone under the age of 40 won't relate to this one:

Free "tube testers".
Oh boy! Yes! I think the last time I saw and used one at a Radio Shack was in 1975 or 76. How late did anyone see or use a tube tester in stores?
Old 10-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was aware of that! In our town it is a fee on top of that fee. It is called a 'convenience fee' and the reasoning is that you don't have to put a stamp on it or bring it to town hall.
Yes, we have that also in Colorado.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #35

Quote:
There's a fee/charge/tax on just about everything except hot air. There's even a charge to pay our property taxes online.
There is fee to pay online here, handled by a third party. If I go to the courthouse I can pay with CC no extra fee and I get my cash back reward.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
In Tx if you pay by credit card for property taxes or auto reg there is a fee since the state wants the full amount, and will not accept the fee, so you get to pay. Note that in the early 1980s in Harris County you had to buy license tags with currency, no checks were accepted, so progress has been made.
It was very similar to this when we moved to Houston in 2004 in that no out of State checks were accepted and I believe that is still the case now. In 2004 we had to turn up with cash, and today we renew on-line each year and pay the fee rather than draw cash and drive to the building to renew the car licence. (we still don't have a Texas bank account).
Old 10-28-2012, 03:49 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Not where I live. They'll slap that CC fee on top of your payment with you standing right there watching. It is one of the few times during the year that I pull out the old checkbook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
If I go to the courthouse I can pay with CC no extra fee and I get my cash back reward.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #38

Last tube tester visit was probably mid '70s. The tester unit was at a pharmacy, which still seems an odd place for electronics. The same pentode on our Zenith became weak so often I can still recall its 6BZ6 code.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Oh boy! Yes! I think the last time I saw and used one at a Radio Shack was in 1975 or 76. How late did anyone see or use a tube tester in stores?
I'd say that was about the last time for me, too. I'd guess I was about 10-12 when I saw them for the last time, and I was born in 1965 so you can do the math on that one.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Which makes the point exactly. As soon as the anti-tax people hear your "shouting from the rooftop," they will start whining about paying for your use of the Library. Taxes will go down and your usage fee will sky rocket... or we will be be reminising about the Libraries of yesteryear.

Obsolete or not, I still use it and will continue to do so until they are no longer funded or available. I still enjoy getting free "reads".

If I traveled more I might have to use that Kindle my kids gave me for Christmas two years ago but so far I haven't used it. I still love turning pages of a real book.