Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Nords:

Just a couple of things. I'm typing this on my iPad (3) using a $17 dollar wireless keyboard from Amazon. Works just fine.

Second point. The iPad is an excellent E-reader. Won't go back to my old B&W model now!

Best,

Rich
(hiding out on Cape Cod)
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

I would recomend making the purchase from the refurb Apple store online(apple.com). I have purchased all my Apple gear from them and have never had a problem to include my ipad2 , imac, apple tv and ariport express.
I do not have a 3G ipad, just wifi. If I travel I can always find or borrow a hot spot (usually not to difficult with prior planning). For extreme circumstances, I will use a virgin mobile mifi card and pay a non contract usage fee (~$20). I do that maybe twice a year.
5oneanddone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'm also under the (possibly mistaken) impression that I can put away the wireless keyboard and use the iPad as just an e-reader. Nothing more complicated than ePub or PDFs, usually non-Kindle junk that I download for a quick review. If that works then I'll happily abandon our Nook.

I may be mistaken again, but I also have the impression that an iPad2 has a functional camera. (I think our dojang is using iPad2s, and if so then that's good enough for any photos that I'd take on travel.) If that's the case then I'd be able to leave our waterproof digital camera at home too.

*Another reason to avoid buying a Macbook Air: I'd start a hedonic arms race that she can't afford to enter. She takes great pride in her self-imposed role of the Mac genius among a family of PC primitives...
These reasons are exactly why I like my Ipad1, and my wife loves her Ipad2. I did discover that some of the PDF/ Kindle books had a lower definition on their images. IMO, Apple products seem to be simplified more than I like, but they work pretty much seamlessly. I was really disappointed that the axis labels and charts on "A Waltz Through Wall Street" were illegible.

Save the money for a keyboard until you test the built in keyscreen. My keyboard is collecting dust.
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by devans0 View Post
Save the money for a keyboard until you test the built in keyscreen. My keyboard is collecting dust.
I'll take a look at it, but I type over 100 WPM and still barely keep up with myself.

I need to go make myself an expert on iPad configurations and wireless keyboards. I didn't realize there were so many choices. I'm definitely going to have to type it before I buy it.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

On the book reading stuff for iPad:

The included book reading app is iBooks, which handles ePub and PDF natively. Books are stored in the iPad, and can be backed up to "the cloud" (you get 5 GB of storage free in Apple's iCloud that you can use for various things), or to a computer via a funny USB cable and iTunes.

I use a program called Calibre on a computer to manage e-books and documents. The program stores your library and allows conversion between formats, and transfers between different devices. Third party extensions handle little tasks like DRM format conversion, which lets me take Amazon Kindle books and read them using the iBooks app. (I hated the idea of having per-device libraries, and having to search multiple places for books.)

Using this approach I'm not locked into one reading app, bookstore, or device.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why wouldn't you read Kindle books on the free Kindle app. for iPad?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade
Why wouldn't you read Kindle books on the free Kindle app. for iPad?
I decided to take a route that would let me maintain a single library of books without regard to which reading app I wanted to use, basically. If I kept a Kindle library, and an iBooks library, and my old Stanza library, I'm pretty sure I'd wind up with duplicate purchases eventually.

I have several hundred other books in ePub format, many of which have formatting that doesn't convert well to the MOBI format the Kindle software and hardware uses. Since I was looking at having to convert books either way, I went with converting to the format for the book reader app I liked best, which was Stanza 3.1 on my first generation iPod Touch, and iBooks on the iPad 2.

(Pardon the typos. I've got a bad case of cats right now.)
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nords,

I was in an airport executive lounge and saw that a lady had both a Kindle and a Kindle Fire - she said that she liked the Kindle with the e-ink for e-reading as when she was outside, the glare made it difficult to read on the regular screen (which I would assume is like the iPad and other computer screens. So, if you truly are looking for an e-reader, the e-ink on the Kindle doesn't suffer from a screen glare problem when in a bright environment.

For lightweight computers, I was using my ASUS eee PC, but I've not gotten around to changing the CMOS battery - it was very lightweight - *however*, due to some other issues with my previous laptop, I bought a Toshiba Ultrabook - ummm, this is a *very* lightweight PC and it amazed my colleagues----I wanted something lightweight for travel that also had a true keyboard. It doesn't have a CD/DVD drive, but has many USB ports. I kept the Windows OS.

For truly odd, I had another colleague who bought the MacBook Air for the hardware and then erased the iOS and replaced it with Windows and other associated Microsoft stuff :-) The razzing he got from his friends was understanding in one sense, however, this guy is a software expert in Windows and MS OS, so he made his own solution......

I've spoken with many people with iPads - most of them like it, except for those who need keyboards.....looks like you have to pay for your software more so than on some of the other OS platforms as well. My only foray into Apple products was purchasing a used iPod touch which needs constant re-charging - perhaps that's why it was being sold refurbed......sigh.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

This looks interesting:

Microsoft Surface, coming out on October 25th.
naggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

When I got my Ipad 2, I got a logitech fold-up keyboard. I liked the fact that it unfolds to a full-size keyboard. However, I have rarely used it. I don't type that much and just use the keyboard on the Ipad.
bhoferp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

With the new IPad soon to be released how does Apple move the older ones? I am thinking about a 2 or a 3.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
With the new IPad soon to be released how does Apple move the older ones? I am thinking about a 2 or a 3.
Getting an older Ipad is a good idea, until new versions are released and the older ones are no longer supported. I can't download the latest IOS6 on my iPad 1. Its only a matter of time before I find that the cool apps can't run on the iPad 1.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
I was in an airport executive lounge and saw that a lady had both a Kindle and a Kindle Fire - she said that she liked the Kindle with the e-ink for e-reading as when she was outside, the glare made it difficult to read on the regular screen (which I would assume is like the iPad and other computer screens. So, if you truly are looking for an e-reader, the e-ink on the Kindle doesn't suffer from a screen glare problem when in a bright environment.
I've never used a Nook or even a laptop outdoors, so I don't think I'm going to have to worry about sunlight on an LCD screen.

But we share another concern-- battery life. If an iPad2 is a couple years old, I don't know how to tell whether or not the battery is any good. But even when my daughter starts kvetching about the battery life on her Macbook, it turns out that it's still hours vice my laptop's minutes.

I just discovered another "reason" to buy an iPad: Fidelity's scan deposit system only works on iPads & smartphones, not on regular scanners. The crucial difference between Fidelity and every other online deposit system is that Fidelity will accept deposits up to $10K. The other banks & credit unions only go up to $5K, so even if Dad's long-term care check is $5001 I have to put it in the snail mail.

Other questions for you Apple disciples:
(1) What amount of RAM do you really prefer for an iPad? I know there's a minimum that sucks, but what's the "Goldilocks" amount?
(2) Is it worth my time to go down to the Apple store to fight my way through the iPhone5 crowds look at refurbed iPad2s? Or should I stick to my Craigslist plan with the risk of buying an iPad2 with a dying battery?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

1. RAM is the same for each model of iPad. All iPad 1s have the same amount, iPad 2s probably have more, and iPad 3s have more still.

If you're talking about local storage, the options are 16 GB, 32 GB and 64 GB.

Depends on what you expect to store. Lot of audio, video and photos? Go for at least 32 GB. You can of course subscribe to streaming video services like Netflix or Hulu or Amazon Prime, which won't take up any local storage space.

It would take a long time to accumulate enough word processing files to really push 16 GB (assuming you don't have a lot of multimedia content locally).

2. What kind of price difference are you seeing between refurbs and Craigslist? I don't know if refurbs have at least a 90-day warranty? They are reputedly in great condition, generally with no visible blemishes.

Also be aware that Apple is rumored to be coming out with an iPad Mini this month, which would be 7.85 inches. The resolution is expected to be the same as iPad 2 (but not the Retina Display of iPad 3) but with a smaller screen, resulting in a lighter form factor.

The smaller size would be more portable and the lighter model is probably better suited for bedside reading.

Of course the tradeoff is a smaller display, with text possibly not being as easy to read for older people.

All kinds of speculation about how much it would be, from $249 to $399. There are also rumors that they'd stop manufacturing new iPad 2s, to streamline the lineup.

Even rumors of a new flagship to replace the iPad 3 as well.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I have just from upgraded my iPad1 which I had owned for 2 1/2 years. I never noticed that the battery was going bad - didn't notice any battery problems at all, or any other type of degradation. And I also had recently upgraded to iOS 5.1.1 on it, so it had been supported the whole time. No, iOS 6 wont run on it, but I did get several OS revisions. It shipped with iOS 3, upgraded to iOS 4 a year later, and the iOS 5 the next year. Most apps would run on it.

There was nothing wrong with it, I just wanted some new features. And, of course, my new iPad3 is faster. DH has inherited the iPad1 now. DH also has an ancient iPod Touch of mine that still works just fine. It mostly functions as our alarm clock now, LOL! But he also uses it as a music player.

So maybe the lifetime on these things is very good?

I'm not sure about the optimal memory. I have a 64GB iPad, but I noticed that I didn't get close to half full in terms of storage. Maybe not even much past 1/4, and most of it was my extensive music collection.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

That's a good amount of use, 2.5 years.

Of course if you amortize it, you paid $700 or $829 (depending on whether you got the 3G model).

So about $300-330 per year. May not be the best LBYM expenditure.

Of course people expect regular computers to last longer. Mobile devices though, it's a moving target with the power increasing appreciably every year.

Apple will probably provide 2 or 3 OS updates and then orphan a line of mobile devices. Even if you can't upgrade to the latest software, it's still perfectly useable.

I'd ask about how long the batteries are rated for. There are probably services which will swap out batteries? Or it may be that if you get AppleCare and your battery dies, they may swap it for a new unit, which may be a newer model.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
That's a good amount of use, 2.5 years.
That's not the end of it's life. It now has a new owner, and he'll probably use it for several more years.

Quote:
Are you serious? I've paid more than that for a case or two of wine, LOL! It's all about priorities and whether you can afford what you want.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So less than a dollar a day. Since I use it 2-4 hours a day, it's a pretty good deal! Cable TV is about $3 a day and it does not seem to provide as much enjoyment.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Completely agree. But you can get a laptop or netbook in the same price range and they may last longer as far as the processor being current.

Build quality is probably dicey as you typically get a plastic case that might not fit tightly everywhere.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:54 AM   #40
Dryer sheet wannabe

Other questions for you Apple disciples:
(1) What amount of RAM do you really prefer for an iPad? I know there's a minimum that sucks, but what's the "Goldilocks" amount?
(2) Is it worth my time to go down to the Apple store to fight my way through the iPhone5 crowds look at refurbed iPad2s? Or should I stick to my Craigslist plan with the risk of buying an iPad2 with a dying battery?

If you listen to alot of music and plan on storing alot of books and PDFs I would opt for the 32 but a 16 should be fine for your needs as you stated earlier.(I use an ipad2 16Gig wifi)
I would recommend the apple refurb store. At the least, you know what you are getting.
5oneanddone is offline   Reply With Quote