Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The cost of getting Verizon/At&T via the IPad is more than I want to spend. My BIG decision is whether or not to buy a refurbished 3rd generation with Wi-Fi now or wait until after the IPad Mini announcement. I haven't been watching Apples pricing policy over the years. What would you do?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Also, how do you make a check deposit with the I Pad? Do you take a picture of check? How does it work?
Each financial company has an app that takes images (photos or scans) of the front & back of the check to comply with the Check21 electronic processing requirements. Some require you to signature endorse the check, others only require you to endorse it something like "For eDeposit only". You enter the information into the app, take the photos/scans, and submit.

The software tries to process the check just as if the images were created in house from a paper check by their employees. If the image is good enough then your deposit is confirmed and credited to your account. You get some sort of confirmation (probably an e-mail) and you're free to destroy or file the check.

Somehow the check number is in the system, so if you tried to "deposit" it again to somewhere else it would eventually bounce back from the payee.

I haven't had to visit an ATM to deposit a check for years. And now I'll never have to mail in another $%^&ing John Hancock paper check for Fidelity deposit, either.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #63

I love the deposit feature, too!

Mead, try using the free Photon app for YouTube
I agree it is a pita but this is the easiest workaround I've found.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

I'm still here clinging to my iOS5 . By some miracle that's what my iPad3 shipped with. Not ready to deal with new apps yet.

Google refused to allow Apple to use turn-by-turn navigation in their mapping software. It's a feature Google reserved for their Android phone. That's why Apple had to develop their own map app.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:38 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Google refused to allow Apple to use turn-by-turn navigation in their mapping software. It's a feature Google reserved for their Android phone. That's why Apple had to develop their own map app.
I thought they reverted to Google Maps while they fixed their ragged app, but I haven't been keep track.

We're going to be driving between Houston & San Antonio next month. I'll have a real analog map with real printed directions, of course, but I'm going to see how much of it can be done on a WiFi iPad 2 (no 3G).

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:12 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I thought they reverted to Google Maps while they fixed their ragged app, but I haven't been keep track.

We're going to be driving between Houston & San Antonio next month. I'll have a real analog map with real printed directions, of course, but I'm going to see how much of it can be done on a WiFi iPad 2 (no 3G).
You might want to try the NavFree app....

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....OSM.USA&hl=en
Old 10-15-2012, 01:19 AM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Without a GPS chip it can't track your position.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:08 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

No, they didn't "revert", they just suggested alternative apps.

We use the iPad all the time as GPS when we have flown somewhere and then rent a car. It does require a passenger to follow it while driving. And you do need the 3G/phone connection for it to track where you are/update the map.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #69

Call me crazy, but the new iOs map is better than the old one from Google IMHO. Now, it hasn't sent me off a cliff yet, but the lettering is larger, it is easier to move back and forth on the map, and I think it is quite an improvement, assuming the directions are correct.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Call me crazy...
I thought you preferred the term "adventurous free-spirit"?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #71
Administrator

Quote:
Call me crazy, but the new iOs map is better than the old one from Google IMHO.
I like it better, too. I have noticed some weird stuff occasionally but it is pretty minor and I am sure that in time, all will be well. Overall, it is pretty cool.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #72

Accuracy should improve in theory as more people use and submit corrections.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
You might want to try the NavFree app....
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....OSM.USA&hl=en
Thanks, I'll play with a few of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Without a GPS chip it can't track your position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
No, they didn't "revert", they just suggested alternative apps.
We use the iPad all the time as GPS when we have flown somewhere and then rent a car. It does require a passenger to follow it while driving. And you do need the 3G/phone connection for it to track where you are/update the map.
What I'm hoping to do (and haven't tried yet) is to produce a picture of a map on the iPad (or a series of them), with whatever app seems the best compromise of detail & readability, and save it as an image. It'd be just bonus if I could zoom & pan. Then I wouldn't need a 3G connection-- I'd just look at the picture.

I think I can determine position without the aid of a GPS chip, too. It'll be an old-school challenge on new-school gear. My daughter will be fascinated at the concept, like watching a cave dweller start a fire without a lighter.

Quote:
Call me crazy, but the new iOs map is better than the old one from Google IMHO. Now, it hasn't sent me off a cliff yet, but the lettering is larger, it is easier to move back and forth on the map, and I think it is quite an improvement, assuming the directions are correct.
Large lettering is always an improvement with me, and one of the reasons I'm trying an iPad instead of an iPhone or an iPod touch. I can barely ride shotgun navigator with my daughter's iPhone, and if I had to do it behind the wheel it'd be a horrible example of "distracted driving".

I piled up the gear that the iPad will be replacing, although I'm not exactly hauling around Steve Wozniak's backpack. I've gone from just over five pounds to just over two, and a considerable reduction in volume. And yet my battery life has easily quintupled over the Lenovo's aging "rechargeable" battery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iPad advantage.jpg (857.9 KB, 1 views)

Old 10-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #74

You can perhaps save a screen of something like Google Maps from a desktop, as a PDF, and load it onto something like iBooks or some other app. Which will open PDF files.

You can even zoom in and out but it will be pixelated as you zoom in. You can take a series of screen shots at different zoom levels to show more detail.

Even without a GPS chip, iPad may be able to give a good approximation from wifi networks.

For instance I have a wifi iPad 3 and it gives a pretty good location from my wifi network and those of my neighbors. That is how Find My iPhone tracks iPads, iPod Touches, even MacBook pros.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #75

Or you could take the screenshots of maps from any ipad mapping app - the screenshots automatically are saved as photos on the iPad. Just hold down the power and home buttons at the same time for a few seconds and the screenshot is saved in photos.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Just go retro--get a cheap little Garmin or Tomtom for your navigation needs and take the non-3g iPad out of the process.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:56 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever
Just go retro--get a cheap little Garmin or Tomtom for your navigation needs and take the non-3g iPad out of the process.
Actually, I agree. Less driver distraction and real time data.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:10 AM   #78

I have to tell you, the iPhone 5 navigation is way more slick than my Garmin.

If I don't have to pack a Garmin in the future, that will be a big win.

I think the iPad Mini which they're going to announce next week may be a pretty good GPS device (though maybe not so easy to mount, perhaps too big a screen for the driver to use -- different story for kids in the back).
Old 10-20-2012, 03:43 AM   #79
Dryer sheet aficionado

Have you considered a Mac Air? I've have and love the iPad, using it right now I prefer a more classic laptop design for work type stuff.

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/
Old 11-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for everyone's iPad suggestions. I think this is going to work out just fine. Ironically in a week I'll be right back in the Houston airport next to the Brookstone store where I first saw the Bluetooth iPad keypad and wondered if this would work. Then I'll be able to do a side-by-side keyboard comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
You can perhaps save a screen of something like Google Maps from a desktop, as a PDF, and load it onto something like iBooks or some other app. Which will open PDF files.
You can even zoom in and out but it will be pixelated as you zoom in. You can take a series of screen shots at different zoom levels to show more detail.
Even without a GPS chip, iPad may be able to give a good approximation from wifi networks.
For instance I have a wifi iPad 3 and it gives a pretty good location from my wifi network and those of my neighbors. That is how Find My iPhone tracks iPads, iPod Touches, even MacBook pros.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Or you could take the screenshots of maps from any ipad mapping app - the screenshots automatically are saved as photos on the iPad. Just hold down the power and home buttons at the same time for a few seconds and the screenshot is saved in photos.
I'm trying all of these options, and we'll see how connectivity works between Houston & San Antonio. It's only a few inches apart on the map-- how hard could WiFi coverage be? But I'll also have old-fashioned hard-copy analog charts to plot a hand DR if necessary.

The "Pages" word-processing app is exactly what I need for writing up blog posts and e-mails. It's not going to work for the Great American Novel, but that's not why I go on travel. I should be able to take notes on USAA talks, though, and write it up as the day goes on. With photos, too!

I was also able to figure out how to load all my PDFs and eBooks on the iBook shelves. Why they consider "eBook" to be in a different collection from PDF, and hide the PDFs in a separate place, I'll never understand.

The biggest "problems" I have are remembering Mac keyboard commands (instead of Windows keyboard commands) and getting over my phobia about touching the screen. Maybe that's why it's called a "touch"screen...