Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-10-2007, 08:04 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ha - The front door is all relative ( sorry!), friends and strangers. Although we do use the front door sometimes to go for a look at the stars or to frolic on the lawn during a solstice or equinox...

Here's a picture of my doors in action and non-action.
The garage door is out of sight to the left obviously and is only opened for cars or for bringing out the snowblower and mower

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2007, 09:24 AM   #22
Administrator

We actually have five means of normal ingress/egress

1. front door from entry hall onto wraparound porch
2. side door from dining room to porch
3. side french door from kitchen to lawn
4. back door from kitchen to driveway; and
5 door (not the overhead ones) in the garage

We use them all, but probably the most used is the one leading to the driveway. The overhead garage doors are only opened to remove the cars or the gas grill.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:40 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My house is elevated so the front door opens into a foyer where there is a lift handy for loading groceries .Otherwise I use the other front door which is a three story walk up .
Old 11-10-2007, 09:42 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ha, your process is certainly logical. LOL
Old 11-10-2007, 09:51 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I live in a ranch style house and we use the garage door almost exclusively. I have a sixteen year old schnauzer who only barks when we go out the front door. She thinks that we are going for a walk or other fun activities in the neighborhood and she wants to go. If we go out the garage she thinks we are leaving in the car and she doesn't react at all! We might use the front door more when she's gone...
Old 11-10-2007, 10:11 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I've never gone out the front door in the 9 years we've lived here. But we have a door in our garage, and we go out that way if getting the mail, etc. By going out through the big garage door, we don't have to take a key, 'cause we can use the keypad to get back in.

BTW, what is wrong with us that we have threads like this? This gist of this thread is:

I don't usually go through the garage door.
I do
I do, too
I do sometimes
I never do
I always do
I did last week
I did it yesterday, but I usually don't
I had sex in the garage (REWahoo)
I went out the side door today
There were two monk seals in my garage (Nords)
I went out the front door twice today
I did an experiment to see which way is cheaper, and I've attached a spreadsheet (me)
I go out the garage door

etc.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:05 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
By going out through the big garage door, we don't have to take a key, 'cause we can use the keypad to get back in.
What happens if you lose power while you're out? Or if the keypad isn't wired (like mine) and the battery runs down (like mine did last winter, luckily I also had a key)?
Old 11-10-2007, 11:47 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
You guys actually have room in your garage to park your car? I'm in awe.
Really! What's with putting expensive junk like cars in a garage, when you can fill it up with all sorts of worthless or semi-worthless 'stuff' like mine! The last time a vehicle was parked in our garage was in 1977. We were going down to N.O. for vacation, and my van was in mid-conversion, so I just left it in there.

(Actually, my garage has been converted into a wood-shop/work-shop, so my tools and equipment are worth more than my car anyway.)
Old 11-10-2007, 11:57 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Really! What's with putting expensive junk like cars in a garage, when you can fill it up with all sorts of worthless or semi-worthless 'stuff' like mine! The last time a vehicle was parked in our garage was in 1977. We were going down to N.O. for vacation, and my van was in mid-conversion, so I just left it in there.

(Actually, my garage has been converted into a wood-shop/work-shop, so my tools and equipment are worth more than my car anyway.)
My attached garage has always had room for my (small) car; I always kept the junk to the end (and I have been sporadically working on 'getting rid of stuff').

When I was young and poor and had to scrape off ice/frost/snow or had to start a car at -20F, I vowed I would someday have an attached garage. It's part of the reason I bought this house and I do not comprehend filling a garage with junk and leaving the car outside.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:15 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

BTW, what is wrong with us that we have threads like this? This gist of this thread is:

I don't usually go through the garage door.
I do
I do, too
I do sometimes
I never do
I always do
I did last week
I did it yesterday, but I usually don't
I had sex in the garage (REWahoo)
I went out the side door today
There were two monk seals in my garage (Nords)
I went out the front door twice today
I did an experiment to see which way is cheaper, and I've attached a spreadsheet (me)
I go out the garage door

etc.
I find that I enjoy this type of thread a lot. People asking each other questions that would feel weird if you asked your neighbor. I love hearing about mundane behaviors. Some make perfect sense and some make no sense at all.

I also enjoy knowing these little things about all your lives. I feel like I know Danny better when I see that pile of shoes at his door.

We don't have an attached garage.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:29 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
BTW, what is wrong with us that we have threads like this?
I agree this might be an issue if it came up at a neighborhood block party or the weekend poker game.

But as you may have noticed, this discussion board ain't exactly the Algonquin Round Table. At least here we can get all these Dave-Barry-style discussions off our chests without fear of recrimination or embarrassment!

REW, you might want to stay out of my garage until the monk seals move on...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:52 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Front door: retrieving the mail, walking the dog, going out for a jog, going to neighbor's house to bug them.

Garage door: Since we both park our cars in the garage, it is used more often than any door in the house as we come and go all day long.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 02:16 PM   #33

Front door has a key in it at all times (uhhhh....from the INSIDE)....just in case we decide to ever use it....mostly when moving furniture.

Garage door ~ only to go to the freezer or to the garage ....heaven forbid that we'd ever need to find anything out there ....OK....the convertible calls it home, but it also sometimes has to do double duty as a shelf....

Our main door is to the den and is our only main point of entry!
Old 11-10-2007, 04:16 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What happens if you lose power while you're out? Or if the keypad isn't wired (like mine) and the battery runs down (like mine did last winter, luckily I also had a key)?
I agree that's important -- I have a key in a oily cloth well hidden near the house.

Quote:
REW, you might want to stay out of my garage until the monk seals move on...
Old 11-10-2007, 04:29 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Sigh.

I was going to make a quip about REW and the seals in the garage, but felt it was a little over the top, and obviously nobody else would go there.

I'm pleased to once again be incorrect...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 04:37 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
But as you may have noticed, this discussion board ain't exactly the Algonquin Round Table. At least here we can get all these Dave-Barry-style discussions off our chests without fear of recrimination or embarrassment!
But Nords, I've always fancied myself to be Dorothy Parker!