Join Early Retirement Today

Using laptop in recliner - how?
Old 05-11-2019, 02:01 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Using laptop in recliner - how?

Am I the only one uncomfortable with a laptop in my actual lap? It didn't used to bug me but I am finding it annoying.

Should I buy a tablet instead?

badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2019, 02:29 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Every laptop owner also needs a tablet. Amazon Prime had Fire 8's on sale yesterday for $59. They're great for keeping an eye on the internet and Facebook. Laptops stay home when we're traveling.

I use them both. But a 14" laptop is best if you're writing very much. A recliner doesn't bother me one bit.

Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:37 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Every laptop owner also needs a tablet. Amazon Prime had Fire 8's on sale yesterday for $59. They're great for keeping an eye on the internet and Facebook.
Plus you can easily configure Fire tablets to access Google Play, opening the door to more applications (Chrome, YouTube, etc.). Here's one of many links on how to do it: https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/g...on-fire-tablet

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:43 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by badatmath View Post
Am I the only one uncomfortable with a laptop in my actual lap? It didn't used to bug me but I am finding it annoying.

My laptop is on a table surface that swivels over my easy-chair-and-ottoman setup. It is not on my actual lap, which is good because it is a heavy 17" model. The swivel table is marketed to older seniors than me, but it meets my needs so I figure why not. I have it adjusted to exactly the right height and I can swivel it closer to my eyes or further away, depending on what I want at that moment.

It swivels very smoothly and easily, with just a light push on my part. I just swivel it out of the way when I am using my iPad, or when standing up or sitting down. I have another end table to the right of my easy chair, that I use for the mouse. When swiveling things out of the way, I just put the mouse on top of my (usually closed) laptop.

You could use a similar setup with a recliner.

P.S. - - don't use this solution if you have kids or pets who would climb all over it! It's sturdy enough for the intended use, but might not be sturdy enough to support a wiggly animal or kid, or anything much heavier than a laptop.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:45 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

My laptop's screen can fold full around and turn into a laptop. It's an HP Pavilion X360model I got from Costco or Sam's. (can't remember which) Works great with the touch screen when in either laptop or tablet mode.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:56 PM   #6

I've got a kidney-shaped piece of laminated particle board that sits on my lap. There is just enough room on the side for my mouse. I hate touchpads. It helps to have a laptop without a numeric keypad. 1) it helps stabilize the laptop. 2) it puts a barrier between the heat of the laptop and my lap, and 3) it helps keep the processor cool as it keeps the cooling vents unblocked.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 03:14 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

One of the things that I like about my Lenovo Miix is that the part that protrudes that keeps it upright on the desktop also, with a slight adjustment, fits comfortably over my left knee with my left leg crossed into my lap.... and the keyboard rests on my left thigh... so I can easily surf the net and e-r.org in my recliner.

I had a Kindle Fires (I had two)... they are dust collectors these days... I much prefer my newer Samsung Tab A... blow that dough!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:16 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I was looking at the Samsung but the fire price is intriguing and the swivel table looks promising . . . but I do have a rather fat cat that might want to "help" by sitting on it . . . Any other suggestions welcome. . .
Old 05-11-2019, 07:27 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I don't use my laptop. A $93 refurb Win 10 Dell computer on the floor under the lamp table and a 17 inch screen on top, along side the recliner Lighted keyboard on my lap, and a wireless mouse pad on the chair arm, and I'm completely comfortable. TV on across the room.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:00 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was looking at the Samsung but the fire price is intriguing and the swivel table looks promising . . . but I do have a rather fat cat that might want to "help" by sitting on it . . . Any other suggestions welcome. . .
I have a fire and a Samsung tablet . The Samsung is so much better than the fire tablet.I got a great deal on it at Christmas .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:58 PM   #11

I have a small end table with a swivel light over the oval table. It sits right because my recliner and I use the mouse on the arm of the chair. It works great and I don't have to have the laptop in my lap. Works great with the right living room table.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2340.jpg (111.6 KB, 34 views)
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:30 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmm. Interesting idea to use a desktop under a table. . .
Old 05-11-2019, 09:38 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Or use a desktop beside the recliner on the floor. My desktop at the desk is on the floor so just the monitor is on the desk
Old 05-11-2019, 09:52 PM   #14

I bought me a pixel book. Laptop & tablet in one easy piece.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:28 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

My recliner, actually a Euro chair, doesn’t recline that much and I rarely have it at max recline anyway. I’ve always been fine using my laptop on it. However I usually use my iPad.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:27 AM   #16

Quote:
I use my laptop in my lap.

Quote:
That depends.

If the vast majority of what you do is just surfing the web, then a tablet might be sufficient.

If you do much typing, I find a real laptop keyboard far superior.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:43 AM   #17

DW uses a lap desk like this:
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...ap-desk-pillow

I use my iPad. It would kill my neck to look down into my lap for any length of time. For my iPad, I use this:
https://express.google.com/u/0/produ...SABEgKdF_D_BwE
Old 05-12-2019, 06:04 AM   #18

Look at some of the newer slim lightweight laptops, some good choices under 3lbs.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:11 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I use a lap tray similar to this one. It works well.
https://www.amazon.com/Sofia-Sam-Pur...662969&sr=1-17
Old 05-12-2019, 07:11 AM   #20

I use my Surface pro 3 docked as my only desktop computer and use it as a tablet with the stylus every morning while sitting in my recliner. I check the overnight email and read a number of news pages. The stylus/handwriting recognition is OK for short email responses but for longer stuff I wait until it is docked and connected to a real monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote