Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Using Priceline.com for Hotels
Old 10-27-2005, 08:40 AM   #1

Using Priceline.com for Hotels

We'll be going to St. Louis for a week soon, and I'd like to use priceline.com or similar site to try for a good deal on a hotel room. We have a courtesy reservation at a so-so hotel for $69 a night. I thought I'd try that rate for a downtown hotel, perhaps just a few days before we leave.

Any tips or suggestions on this?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Using Priceline.com for Hotels
Old 10-27-2005, 08:44 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I stopped using priceline when I bid for a 4 star in a certain geographical area and got a 2 star that clearly wasn't in the area I had indicated in my bid. They did not refund my money, so that was the last time I used them. I did, however, have great luck with Hotwire and Expedia.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:57 AM   #3

I have had success with bidding on Priceline by using this website:

* * *www.biddingfortravel.com

It gives you a lot of information about bidding and has really helped me get great deals...

Good Luck!
Old 10-27-2005, 09:01 AM   #4

I've used Priceline a large number of times and have always been satisfied with the results. I even booked a hotel in Singapore using Priceline. They take pretty good care to insure that a 4-star hotel is a 4-star and will downgrade a hotel if it isn't up to snuff.

There is another website that tracks winning priceline bids that you can check out to see what hotels are using priceline and what rooms go for. Check out www.biddingfortravel.com.

Cube_rat: I don't believe your story. You must have done something wrong or did not look at their maps of hotel zones. Priceline does not do what you posted.

MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Priceline does not do what you posted.
Yes they do. They put me into a hotel that wasnt in the geographically area that I selected. I noted and they refunded but it was still a hassle. I would be an easy cc dispute that should win, though if it came to that.

I have only used priceline x2. The other time was successful and ended up with a good value.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:11 AM   #6

I've never booked through hotwire, but I use them to establish what a hotel should cost in a certain area (for planning or budgeting purposes). I may use them one day though. You know the general location and price for a given date(s) before you bid.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:21 AM   #7

www.biddingfortravel.com.

Cube_rat: I don't believe your story. You must have done something wrong or did not look at their maps of hotel zones. Priceline does not do what you posted.

lol, I don't really care what you believe or don't believe. The fact of the matter is, it happened. I knew the geographical area VERY WELL.* So, I didn't do something wrong.* All I did was convey my own personal experience with Priceline. Many people are very happy with their service, I'm not one of them.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:30 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've generally had good success with hotwirre.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:40 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
MB, why such small faith?
I had a similar experience lately.
I've used priceline 6 or 7 times in the past (our best success was $49 in Boston for a 5 star hotel shortly after Sept 11th). Last year I was using it trying to get a hotel in DC for my brother and they put him waaay out of requested area. I complained to priceline but they wouldn't bulge. I filed a dispute with American Express and they were able to reverse the charge.

sailor

sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:43 AM   #10

Cube_rat and others:

Priceline zones are often much bigger than commonly known city areas.

For example, in New Orleans the French Quarter Zone extended all the way west to Canal street. Canal street is downtown in many people's mind - not in the French Quarter. You have to look at their area maps to know where you could end up.

I stand by my comments. Priceline does not do what you posted.

sailor: I suspect that the reason the Priceline would not retract your bid is because the hotel that they put you in was indeed in the zone that you bid on.

MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:48 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
MB, why such small faith?
Maybe he's afraid that stories like CR's will scare off the only other shareholder:
Attached Images
File Type: png PCLN.png (12.9 KB, 76 views)

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Maybe he's afraid that stories like CR's will scare off the only other shareholder:
Who knows? I know I have better things to do than getting into a heated debate by having to back up my experience with Priceline on an internet forum.

So much for work procrastination...
Old 11-01-2005, 02:26 PM   #13

We got a room for $46 per night ($51.77 with taxes, etc) at the four-star Renaissance Grand St. Louis ($129/night on their web site). Better than the $69 I was going to pay for the two-star hotel by the airport.

Should be fun. Thanks for the advice -- that BiddingForTravel site was very useful (thanks, BA).