USPS Media Mail rate for non-media content?

Sam

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hello all,

I need to ship a couple large boxes from Honolulu to Houston. 50lbs, 16x22x11 inches. The Parcel Post rate is $52/box and the Media Mail rate is $22/box.

Can I get away with shipping them using the media mail rate?

Thanks,
Sam

Unless you are actually shipping printed or recorded material, the answer to your question depends on whether you are a willing and accomplished liar.

Oh, and I'd guess USPS employees in HI are very familiar with media mail requirements and might ask you to open the boxes for inspection - especially if they want to find out why the books you are mailing are apparently printed on lead:
50lbs, 16x22x11 inches.

Last edited:
Unless you are actually shipping printed or recorded material, the answer to your question depends on whether you are a willing and accomplished liar.

Willing, maybe. Accomplished, no.

Can I get away with shipping them using the media mail rate?
If you're shipping media, yes. They will check.

Can you use one or more of the USPS's Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes?

When do you need it? I'm pretty sure that I'll be flying to Houston in the next six months, but it may not be until late Sep/early Oct.

That's very kind of you Nords. I was just lazy and trying to be frugal simultaneously. I can take them with me on the flight and pay $60 for both. But then I have to lug them to and from in the airport. I'll just spend a little more and have the USPS deliver them door to door.
First time in Oahu for me. I'm surprised how small the island is. I knew everything is more expensive here but I'm still shocked at the prices, especially when compared to Houston. Ideal climate if not the best ever. Things would perfect if not for the homeless population in downtown.
Sam

First time in Oahu for me. I'm surprised how small the island is. I knew everything is more expensive here but I'm still shocked at the prices, especially when compared to Houston. Ideal climate if not the best ever. Things would perfect if not for the homeless population in downtown.
Sam
You've laid your fingers on a few issues that are worse in Waikiki than elsewhere on the island.

If you happen to be reading this board instead of getting out & about, then today (Saturday) at 9 AM (in about 100 minutes) I'll be on the beach next to the Waikiki Outrigger Hotel at the head of the breakwater. I'll be the ponytailed geezer with the blue t-shirt (or the gray rash guard) and a 10-foot Trident longboard, white with a red deck, gazing out to the breaks to see which one is looking the best. If you surf, I'll have an extra board with me. If you don't surf yet, then I'll be happy to teach you how!

Or let me/ClifP know if you want to get together some other time...

Media mail is only for qualified media. USPS can and will open for inspection anything marked as Media Mail. You can look up regulations at USPS site.

Back
Top Bottom