Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-03-2008, 02:53 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got the Hoover Windtunnel Bagless canister at Costco a few months ago.
Very pleased so far. It weighs maybe 1/3 what my old canister did, and does
well with dog hair on carpets, which is my most important test by far.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2008, 03:03 PM   #22
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
It's so hard to get excited about purchasing a vacuum... very low fun factor.

Right next to shopping for a toilet bowl on my fun scale !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:22 PM   #23

1) vacuum cleaners suck
2) i've purchased several (two for me, one for DD) Kenmore cannister vacs over the past 40 years and have been quite satisfied.
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:45 PM   #24

We have a Dyson, Eureka, and Hoover. I use to vacuum with the Eureka and Hoover. Wife loves vacuuming with the Dyson Ball and I don't have to any more. It's worth every penny!!!!
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:46 PM   #25
gone traveling

Quote:
It's so hard to get excited about purchasing a vacuum... very low fun factor.

Maybe next time I have to replace, I'll shop in pumps, a party dress and earrings (channeling mrs. cleaver) and see if that helps.

Oooooo, nice!!! Dirty old man response
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:47 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have terrible luck with vacuum cleaners including a Dyson. In the last 5 years I've bought 3 - all name brand, all fairly spendy and all broken! The plastic parts break, the motors wear, the roller mechanisms grind them selves to powder. aarg.

I don't really have unusual use (i don't think) I have about 1800 sq ft of med
Same here. Went through 3 vacuum cleaners (all uprights) in 4 years. Two Hoovers and one Eureka. All expensive pieces of junk. One caught on fire. Another one kept overheating and shutting down for no apparent reason (the tech people never found what was wrong with it). On the last one the belt broke and the new belts that were installed kept burning leaving a disgusting burnt rubber smell everywhere in the house.

We then bought an Electrolux Harmony canister vacuum and it has never failed us in the past 5 years. The motor has never overheated. Parts are a bit expensive, but I think it's well worth it. My mom has had the same canister vacuum cleaner for 21 years and she uses it everyday! There is no excuse for an expensive vacuum to break down after just one year of use.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:21 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer
On the last one the belt broke and the new belts that were installed kept burning leaving a disgusting burnt rubber smell everywhere in the house.
Ditto. We're looking for one that can be fixed when something goes wrong. I'm tired of filling landfills with 1-2-yr-old plastic junk consumer products. Blenders, vacuums, hand mixers, ipod docks, etc.
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:09 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

BTW, if you have a vacuum that keeps breaking or burning belts, chances are you have the adjustable carpet height set too low. This also impairs dirt pickup. You want the carpet height setting to be as high as possible while maintaining a bit of contact between the brushes and the carpet fibers.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:48 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I've had a Riccar for over 10 years, I can't say enough good things about them. Heavy, but it works on everything, and I haven't had ANY thing go wrong other than replacing a belt in that time..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:58 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I am also looking. We have a 30 year old upright Eureka which may have seen better days. We also have a new empty nest dog, a black lab.

I like the idea of the Riccar super lite. It got nice reviews in CR, weighs 8 pounds and is supposedly made in the USA.

But it is not as cheap as I like. Anyone have experience with it. In looking at the Amazon reviews for the top rated CR uprights there were a number of quality issues. The Riccar had nice reviews but they look like they were written by insiders.
ZMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:24 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

As a point of reference, the Riccar's motor cost more than my entire vacuum cleaner.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:27 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
As a point of reference, the Riccar's motor cost more than my entire vacuum cleaner.
That's why America's great, we have choices........ I got a Hoover windtunnel electric broom for the floors downstairs, it's light and really neat......Sam's Club was blowing them out for $29.00..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:10 AM   #33
Gone but not forgotten

Well , I decided to go look at the various models and see if I bond with one . They all seem to be on sale for Mother's day and who wouldn't be thrilled to get a vacuum as a present ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:28 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I have used the same cheapo ($69) Hoover Runabout bag vacuum for the last 25 years. It never loses suction, works great and I only had to replace the belt once. I could never figure out why people spend so much money on fancy vacuum cleaners.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:19 AM   #35
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I have used the same cheapo ($69) Hoover Runabout bag vacuum for the last 25 years. It never loses suction, works great and I only had to replace the belt once. I could never figure out why people spend so much money on fancy vacuum cleaners.

Because they are hoping to get one as good as yours.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:40 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Eureka Boss here. Had it for years, very impressed.

I've also got a small Oreck that I got for a few bucks at a garage sale, it's very well made. I use it to keep the hearth neat.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:01 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
who wouldn't be thrilled to get a vacuum as a present ?
I got a new girlfriend once because her old boyfriend gave her a red dirt devil vacuum for valentines day...
Old 05-05-2008, 07:33 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Heres the list from the CR 2008 buyers guide, in order.

The bargains were the Eureka Boss at $150, the hoover tempo widepath at $60 and the hoover windtunnel bagless canister at $180. CR gave their best buys to cheaper models of the Kenmore direct drive and the hoover tempo.

We bought the Hoover Tempo widepath 3 months ago for $60 and were very happy with it. We bought another one a month later for upstairs for $50 when it was on a door-buster sale. For $110 we have two new vacuums that work well.

About 10 years ago, we bought the cheap consumers report best buy GE vacuum at Walmart($45 or so) and it is now still working and down in the basement.

I'm a believer in consumer reports.
Dave J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:30 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I got a new girlfriend once because her old boyfriend gave her a red dirt devil vacuum for valentines day...
Wow, that gift sucked!
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:43 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Ah. So many good responses, yet so much pre-coffee self control...

Tags
technology