Join Early Retirement Today
Old 02-13-2014, 07:26 PM   #21
gone traveling
Lots of great songs! Interestingly enough, the first thing I did when I started volunteering at the radio station was delete "Wonderful Tonight" so no one would ever ever ever be able to play it again.

That John Legend song ... wow ... just, wow.

Mr. Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2014, 07:29 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
That would be "Wonderful Tonight". Written for Patty Boyd, George Harrison's ex. (As was "Layla") Yep, a bit sappy, but easy to play. We received a request to play it one night; learned it during break...
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I remember a (male) high school English teacher pointing out to a classroom of teens how incredibly male-chauvinist this song really is.

Ahh yes - "Wonderful Tonight", not "Beautiful Tonight". Thanks for the correction - I actually googled it to double check the lyrics, and guess what - google did their automatic substitute thing, and I didn't notice it, so I thought that was right. I hate the way google does that.

So odd that the same woman inspired songs on such opposite ends of the spectrum for me (I love the song "Layla").

Good to see at least someone saw how demeaning those "Wonderful" lyrics are.

Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
If Silly Love Song by PM isn't good for you, how about Maybe, I'm Amazed? It will make my V-day playlist along with numerous Bob D songs.
Yes, I do love "Maybe, I'm Amazed", infinitely better tune and lyrics, IMO.

ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:43 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
This is just one song, a newer song, so I am not sure if many of you are familar, but I would like to present John Legend's "All of Me". When I heard it on the Grammy's, I was like WOW. Very simple tune, but beautiful vocals and very romantic lyrics - almost like a lullaby. You can play this song on Vday, whatever you two are doing, you can sing along (or lipsync if you are desparately out of tune) gazing into your spouse's eyes (that would be so corney that you are guaranteed to get a laugh... or tears..)

I found this Youtube vid which has an extra fun in it - John Legend just showed up at a restaurant, and started singing his song to unsuspected customers...
John Legend and Alicia Keys did a great rendition of "Let It Be" on that Beatles special.

Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote