Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-20-2010, 11:19 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just watched the short speed skating event with Apolo Ohno where the skaters shoot around the ice like. It's hilarious.
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2010, 11:48 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Hey - Spock in a Star Fleet uniform was being a newscaster for the men's gravity on skis followed by flying through the air event.

Fantastic women's flippy-doodles on skis - last years gold medalist did a bunch of aerial acrobatics wearing skis, landed, did a somersault, shed her skis, and slid down the slope standing on her feet. Super! Couldn't believe she didn't get extra style points.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:58 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Lindsey Vonn in the downhill.
The first time I watched it live and thought it was great she won, but she looked a little sloppy, uncontrolled.
On the slow-motion replay, I came to realize that all she did was beat the best skiers in the world while skiing on ONE LEG due to her shin injury. Any skier who saw her carving turns at 60 MPH on her inside ski had to be absolutely awed. What a performance!

Steve
stevenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:12 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The women's downhill and speed skating have been entertaining and exciting. Shaun White was plain amazing!

I'm concerned with the "up the anty" ness causing more injuries on the downhill and luge (sad) courses among others.

The Skeleton? What the heck, that is nuts, face first on a sled...now that is where you send those kids going full speed down hills on their skateboards...instead of scolding them, send them to the olympics! eaaaak!
Old 02-21-2010, 09:17 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
What the heck, that is nuts, face first on a sled...
At least I'm not the only person who was thinking that! What a terrifying event.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:11 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
The Skeleton? What the heck, that is nuts, face first on a sled...eaaaak!
Head first probably keeps them from having injuries to the feet when they crash. But, it's only my best guess.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:18 AM   #27
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

The Skeleton? What the heck, that is nuts, face first on a sled...now that is where you send those kids going full speed down hills on their skateboards...instead of scolding them, send them to the olympics! eaaaak!

Wish I had known it was going to be an Olympic sport . As a kid we always rode our flexible flyer's face first down high school hill . The trick was to turn before you ended on the only highway that went through our town . Sometimes to jazz things up we would put sleds side by side and trade sleigh ropes and then slide down face first .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
At least I'm not the only person who was thinking that! What a terrifying event.
I've been thinking that if I were 30 years younger, I would definitely want to do it. It looks like fun.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I've been thinking that if I were 30 years younger, I would definitely want to do it. It looks like fun.
It would probably be lots of fun except during a crash (at over 90 mph). I don't think that is for me.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:22 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Made me look...The Skeleton is definitely for lunatics.
Fast forward to 1:27 for the course animation and a forward/back looking camera shot. Actual athletes' runs follow later in the video.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/ass...3754afc2c.html
Old 02-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
My favorite Olympics Comments, Verbiage, or Signs for 2010...

Consolation~

"You guys are undefeated with the Telestrator"

Runner up~

(heard this one on the radio
"Is there anything hotter than a woman yelling "HARDER!!!"?

Winner~

"Hurry Hard" (sign a fan was holding @ a curling match)

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:59 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Does anyone know how to find the EXACT time the pairs Ice Dancing event will be broadcast tonight on NBC?
I found it tonight, Freebird, right after switching back to NBC after watching the thrilling USA v. Canada hockey game on one of the sister networks.

This shot of a pair of French competitors really captures the spirit of the event for me.

To each his own, as the saying goes...

Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:28 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

That's shameful! I don't believe those are real Olympians. Here are some of the real figure skating stars of the Olympics:

The 20 Funniest Figure Skating Faces: Pics, Videos, Links, News

Wow. My apologies - those really are real competitors. I thought <Austin Powers voice> it's a man, baby!
Old 02-22-2010, 08:16 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Oh calmloki...those pics are hysterical!
Old 02-22-2010, 09:01 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Curling...Curling...why can't I get enough of this sport? Women with jewelry and men with cell phones on their belts. What a sport...
Yep - Danish women pep talking each other in Danish and talking with their Canadian coach in English - what a hoot - nephew had recorded most events - so it was on in the background while visiting down in San Diego.

heh heh heh - have no clue what was going on but reminded me of my mis-spent youth playing longboard shuffleboard in the taverns of the PacNW .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:05 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Yep - Danish women pep talking each other in Danish and talking with their Canadian coach in English - what a hoot - nephew had recorded most events - so it was on in the background while visiting down in San Diego.
In the Russia/Czech hockey game yesterday, the guy doing the reporting from near the ice (between the two teams' benches) reported that they were all taking amongst each other in their native tongues, but yelled insults and such at the other team's bench in English.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:37 PM   #37
Administrator

What overwhelms me is NBC coverage of women's curling. The announcer actually managed to include in the same sentence "US women's curling team" "breathtaking" and "heartbreaking". Alpine skiing and ice hockey haven't got a chance...
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:41 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Looks like the Germans are coming up with a way to deflect attention from a medal count:
Naked sled race draws 14,000 - The Local
Beware. Story and image has to do with downhill sledding sans tops.

"But the logistical challenges didn’t keep around 30 contestants from stripping down to their panties or briefs and racing the 100-metre course on little red and black sledges. Many of the tanned racers looked more ready for the beach than the piste, as some even bared what had to be rather chilly nipple rings".
"The 26-year-old Christian Schmidt from Blankenburg in Saxony-Anhalt won the race, but the crowd saved much of its applause for a 70-year-old pensioner who spontaneously stripped down to sledge the hill on his own".
Old 02-22-2010, 03:33 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I'm actually enjoying watching the Olympics this year. But I do think that the commentators are idiots.

Example: "She's got a look of intense concentration on her face" for a snowboarder who's face is covered with helmet, goggles and scarf. Not a speck of actual face showing.

The worst example was the men's pursuit cross-country skiing. They kept saying "Gee, Bob, I don't know how they can perform in this heat." It was 50 degrees out. If it were 50 degrees during a marathon, they'd be saying "I don't know how they can perform in this cold." Cross country skiing is just running with inconvenient things stuck to your shoes.

My favorite dumb sports expression: "You can't win the gold in this part of the competition, but you can lose it." Total baloney because "win" is equivalent to "not lose."
Old 02-22-2010, 03:38 PM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

From the US vs. Canada hockey game: "This has been tremendously tremendous!"