Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Where is John Madden when you need him? He would be a hoot to listen to and watch him go bonkers with the electronic screen pen, circling and drawing enthusiastic lines.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Where is John Madden when you need him? He would be a hoot to listen to and watch him go bonkers with the electronic screen pen, circling and drawing enthusiastic lines.
Dang - that reminds me - I left my Saints cap at my nephews in San Diego.

heh heh heh - He - Son of my Sister has stuck with the Pats even though she(thinks Brett was cute and switched in time for him leave Green Bay). She even thought the Russian figure skater with the big nose was cute so she pulled for him.

And to think I wasted thirty years(at least) trying to get her to consider index funds and consider the ole 60/40 - just like traditional pension funds used to do.

At least she rooted for the American womens curling team - cause the Danes were too talkative. No - I don't make this stuff up.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:04 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Can you believe the ego of this guy?? They should strip him of ANY medal.

In Plushenko's mind (and website), he's the platinum medal winner - Fourth-Place Medal - 2010 Olympics Blog - Yahoo! Sports
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Guess the Russians didn't have the French judge in their pockets this time.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:45 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Wouldn't it make sense, and I know this is a radical idea, if each team had consistent uniforms that were the color of their country's flags?

The US uniforms are sometimes light green, sometimes red, sometimes dark blue and light blue, sometimes red, and sometimes farmer plaid. It sure would be easier to identify the competitors from one event to the next.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:13 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Wouldn't it make sense, and I know this is a radical idea, if each team had consistent uniforms that were the color of their country's flags?

The US uniforms are sometimes light green, sometimes red, sometimes dark blue and light blue, sometimes red, and sometimes farmer plaid. It sure would be easier to identify the competitors from one event to the next.
Oh, I don't know, T'Al. I just loved the US skateboarders' baggy jeans and check shirts. They would have fit right in at the mall. And Jon Montgomery might not have won the skeleton if he hadn't gotten an Aboriginal artist to design the thunderbird (representing the first people on whose land he was competing) and turtle (his personal emblem) on his helmet. Of course, he's no turtle.....but I like the creativity!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #47

Quote:

I totally agree. I was just whining about that to my hubby a few days ago. At the very least they could have a huge 'USA' on their backs or something.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:00 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I do think that the commentators are idiots.
They're soooo bad it's embarrassing. At first DW and I thought we must be watching a spoof, a Saturday Night Live thing or something. But no, it was our good ole USA dumber-than-a-stump and full of themselves commentators flapping their ignorant traps.....
Old 02-25-2010, 03:19 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

One thing that's becoming abundantly clear is that the Winter Games are not about European domination any more. In particular, the U.S. and Canada are winning medals -- and golds -- where only Europeans have done so in the past. And there are other areas as well -- the South Koreans are powerful in short track, the Chinese in the aerials, and the Aussies pick up a few surprising medals along the way (it's not like Australia itself is a hotbed of snowy and icy recreation).

Consider that this is the first time the U.S. has ever won a medal in Nordic events (2 silvers). Ice dancing was *always* won by Euros until this year when Canada and the U.S. took gold and silver. Women's 2-person bobsled was swept by Canada and the U.S. We're seeing a lot more Americans winning medals (including golds) in skiing than we ever saw when I was younger.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 02-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
They're soooo bad it's embarrassing. At first DW and I thought we must be watching a spoof, a Saturday Night Live thing or something. But no, it was our good ole USA dumber-than-a-stump and full of themselves commentators flapping their ignorant traps.....
Living in a border area I have been watching commentators from both Canada and the USA and they are as bad as each other. I can get off air TV from Buffalo, Toronto, Hamilton, Erie PA and Kitchener.
I Was real happy last night when with the Canadian win over Russia in mens Hockey. Hope the Canadian team does not take Slovakia lightly tomorrow. Ladies final this evening. Local Gal Becky Keller playing.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:26 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
So, he was going for the platinum and he got it. We should congratulate the fella in the sequined suit and move on with the real athletes!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:52 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
One thing that's becoming abundantly clear is that the Winter Games are not about European domination any more. In particular, the U.S. and Canada are winning medals -- and golds -- where only Europeans have done so in the past. And there are other areas as well -- the South Koreans are powerful in short track, the Chinese in the aerials, and the Aussies pick up a few surprising medals along the way (it's not like Australia itself is a hotbed of snowy and icy recreation).

Consider that this is the first time the U.S. has ever won a medal in Nordic events (2 silvers). Ice dancing was *always* won by Euros until this year when Canada and the U.S. took gold and silver. Women's 2-person bobsled was swept by Canada and the U.S. We're seeing a lot more Americans winning medals (including golds) in skiing than we ever saw when I was younger.
Yeah, my tax dollars at work!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:51 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
So, he was going for the platinum and he got it. We should congratulate the fella in the sequined suit and move on with the real athletes!
He does ... go for it. From a 2005 European competition; muscle suit and padding. skip to about 2+ minutes in for a grin. Guy has far less stage fright than i.

calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

I see that a serious shortage of supplies at the Olympics is being handled promptly:

Vancouver Now - Emergency shipment of condoms headed to Olympic athletes - Post Sports
Dudester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:30 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudester View Post
I see that a serious shortage of supplies at the Olympics is being handled promptly:

Vancouver Now - Emergency shipment of condoms headed to Olympic athletes - Post Sports
This puts a whole new meaning on the phrase "consolation prize".
Old 02-27-2010, 06:04 AM   #56
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Yeah, my tax dollars at work!
I thought US olympic efforts were tax exempt but funded by sponsors and private contributions.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:30 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

If you don't think most of the athletes have an ego this big then you are dreaming...

The one thing I can say about him (and I did not know him from Adam until this show) is that he won every competition he entered between 2000 and 2007 except one... (per the TV)... I don't think many people can make that kind of claim... so his ego was backed up most of the time...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:40 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I thought US olympic efforts were tax exempt but funded by sponsors and private contributions.
Which may be true, but you're responding to a Canadian, I believe....
Old 02-27-2010, 07:00 AM   #59
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I believe Meabh is Canadian.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:51 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Last night some broadcaster was reprising stories of the Olympics - this was one mentioned; for me it encapsulates the true meaning of the games, focusing on the competitor rather than some nationalistic medal count.

Majdic out for season with 4 broken ribs | Winter Games | 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics | AP News Coverage

Phidippides - Don't quit. run till you die.
The First Marathon Run, The history of Phidippides
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote