Vancouver 2010

One thing that's becoming abundantly clear is that the Winter Games are not about European domination any more. In particular, the U.S. and Canada are winning medals -- and golds -- where only Europeans have done so in the past. And there are other areas as well -- the South Koreans are powerful in short track, the Chinese in the aerials, and the Aussies pick up a few surprising medals along the way (it's not like Australia itself is a hotbed of snowy and icy recreation).

Consider that this is the first time the U.S. has ever won a medal in Nordic events (2 silvers). Ice dancing was *always* won by Euros until this year when Canada and the U.S. took gold and silver. Women's 2-person bobsled was swept by Canada and the U.S. We're seeing a lot more Americans winning medals (including golds) in skiing than we ever saw when I was younger.

Yeah, my tax dollars at work!

So, he was going for the platinum and he got it. We should congratulate the fella in the sequined suit and move on with the real athletes!

He does ... go for it. From a 2005 European competition; muscle suit and padding. skip to about 2+ minutes in for a grin. Guy has far less stage fright than i.

YouTube - Evgeni Plushenko- sex bomb

If you don't think most of the athletes have an ego this big then you are dreaming...

The one thing I can say about him (and I did not know him from Adam until this show) is that he won every competition he entered between 2000 and 2007 except one... (per the TV)... I don't think many people can make that kind of claim... so his ego was backed up most of the time...

I thought US olympic efforts were tax exempt but funded by sponsors and private contributions.

I believe Meabh is Canadian.

Last night some broadcaster was reprising stories of the Olympics - this was one mentioned; for me it encapsulates the true meaning of the games, focusing on the competitor rather than some nationalistic medal count.

Majdic out for season with 4 broken ribs | Winter Games | 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics | AP News Coverage

[FONT=arial, helvetica]Phidippides -[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica] Don't quit[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]. run till you die.[/FONT]
The First Marathon Run, The history of Phidippides

I thought US olympic efforts were tax exempt but funded by sponsors and private contributions.

My tax dollars are Canadian. Over the past 5 years taxpayers have put $115 million into the "Own the Podium" program to support our elite athletes. And they have done us proud!

My understanding is that the US Government does not fund Olympic athletes, but that the US Olympic Committee has a contract with the IOC that guarantees them 12.5 % of all US broadcast revenues. That's a lot of money.

If you don't think most of the athletes have an ego this big then you are dreaming...

The one thing I can say about him (and I did not know him from Adam until this show) is that he won every competition he entered between 2000 and 2007 except one... (per the TV)... I don't think many people can make that kind of claim... so his ego was backed up most of the time...

That doesn't make him any less a pompous ass and a poor sport to boot. :gag:

I hate to see these women fall, especially one who is this pretty . But she did hit it right on the cymbal crash.

Ha

Wouldn't it make sense, and I know this is a radical idea, if each team had consistent uniforms that were the color of their country's flags?

The US uniforms are sometimes light green, sometimes red, sometimes dark blue and light blue, sometimes red, and sometimes farmer plaid. It sure would be easier to identify the competitors from one event to the next.

I have been enjoying the Olympics in spite of the many things that are wrong such as idiot announcers and TV programming issues (could do a whole thread here). Nice to have the international competition and it couldn't have been in a better place.

However, the ridiculousness of the uniforms, particularly the US uniforms is beyond words. I truly think that some khakis at the army navy store with a USA flag patch on the shoulder would look better. The USA uniforms make our athletes look like they just rolled out of bed in kids pajamas! I am sure they paid some designer a king's ransom to come up with these bad acid trips in cloth.

Free to canoe

How fitting! Their game, their turf, end of the Olympics - Thinking its going to be crazy happy time in Vancouver tonight. Outstanding!

Go Canada!

How fitting! Their game, their turf, end of the Olympics - Thinking its going to be crazy happy time in Vancouver tonight. Outstanding!

I'm an American, but I agree with you....the Gold was deserved by the Canadians in Hockey today. Good job!

Way to go Team Canada!

Congrats as well to Team USA for playing a great game and for making us earn the Gold!

Congratulations to the Estonians for winning the medal count!

olympic-medals-per-capita.jpg

Congratulations to the US for winning the total medal count and giving us some spectacular entertainment!

And may I proudly say congratulations to Canada for winning the gold medal count (a record 14 for any country in the winter games, ever!)

:clap::clap::dance::dance::flowers::flowers:

Back
Top Bottom