Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-22-2008, 09:01 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This is like what Microsoft has done with Office 2007. The arrogance of Microsoft is amazing--they just roll the software out and tell users to like it. This is, after all, a suite of software that people use to do actual w*rk--anyone who uses it a lot has literally thousands of things committed memory (how to set tabs, how to change fonts, the complete tab/pulldown selection sequence needed to change line spacing in a document, etc). It's thousands of dollars worth of experience. If MSFT weren't so arrogant, they'd allow serious users to select "make it look as much like Office 2003 as possible" during setup, and adventurous folks could select "No, surprise me. I want to spend months re-learning everything and being less productive."

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2008, 04:42 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
This is like what Microsoft has done with Office 2007. The arrogance of Microsoft is amazing--they just roll the software out and tell users to like it. This is, after all, a suite of software that people use to do actual w*rk--anyone who uses it a lot has literally thousands of things committed memory (how to set tabs, how to change fonts, the complete tab/pulldown selection sequence needed to change line spacing in a document, etc). It's thousands of dollars worth of experience. If MSFT weren't so arrogant, they'd allow serious users to select "make it look as much like Office 2003 as possible" during setup, and adventurous folks could select "No, surprise me. I want to spend months re-learning everything and being less productive."
There are two areas of thought... keep it the same or change it.

There is a tremendous cost to maintaining backward compatibility and innovating.

MS has done a pretty good job about moving forward and trying to maintain backward compatibility.

If they do not keep moving forward their competition will overtake them.

But I do agree the continuous change and innovation is a bit frustrating when it is a tool one uses to get work done.

Being in IT... I have gotten use to it. But it is still a struggle to keep up.

Old 08-23-2008, 05:37 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
It appears to be easier for novice users or prospective customers to do a search for funds based on specific criteria by checking off boxes. But once again the business doesnt take into consideration the disruption to existing customers who are familiar with the existing product.

This is the same sort of thing that Yahoo did a couple of months ago. I decided that if I had to learn a new interface, look and feel that I might as well do all that with Google instead.
I still am on the old Yahoo layout... but fear it will not be long before I lose that...

I have an old Excite account that I have used for many years for email.... but they now force you to download a program to read your letters... and with dialup... it takes a LONG time every time..... time to learn Google...
Old 08-23-2008, 11:02 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
There is a tremendous cost to maintaining backward compatibility and innovating.
There's a tremendous cost to their customers when they change things for no reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
If they do not keep moving forward their competition will overtake them.
Their competition is overtaking them BECAUSE of this stupid philosophy of theirs. It's a primary reason I'm now doing a lot of my work in Open Office--heck, if I have to re-learn everything anyway, that's a great time to secede from the borg MSFT "family"
Old 08-24-2008, 04:55 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
There's a tremendous cost to their customers when they change things for no reason.

Their competition is overtaking them BECAUSE of this stupid philosophy of theirs. It's a primary reason I'm now doing a lot of my work in Open Office--heck, if I have to re-learn everything anyway, that's a great time to secede from the borg MSFT "family"
I understand your frustration.

This is not an MS issue... instead it is innovation. The interfaces and products evolve.

MS has a lock on the Office product market. Plus, the software industry is driven by forced upgrade and lack of support on older versions.

Try a competing product. The microsoft format has become ubiquitous. Software like Open Office does not emulate it well enough and the document formats do not convert perfectly. This is very important for business.

If some company figures out how to perfectly format and emulate Word, Excel, etc and offers a lower cost... the price of office will go down.

But no matter who is on top... you will be pulled along by progress (i.e., innovation).
Old 08-24-2008, 07:04 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Uh oh. "Who moved my beever cheeze!?" rants are the first sign of approaching curmudgeondry...
Hilarious, exactly what I was thinking.

I suspect many who are complaining initially thought the internet was a useless/dumb idea, but here they are.

You can always join the Amish if you think all change is bad/unnecessary...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:51 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Hilarious, exactly what I was thinking.

I suspect many who are complaining initially thought the internet was a useless/dumb idea, but here they are.

You can always join the Amish if you think all change is bad/unnecessary...
Some change is necessary, some is not.

I spent two years of my life as one of the lead architects on a rewrite of a major ecommerce website. It went 100% over budget on both time and money (interestingly, if we were given our original budget and timeline, we would have been fine). The two components of the project cost right around $100 million. We rewrote the UI for the website, we implemented the whole thing on a new platform, we changed content management systems just because we felt like it.

The project was the last straw for the business. IT was outsourced to a large service vendor shortly after that because they thought it'd cut cost and speed up delivery. The CIO was fired and most of senior IT management cycled out.

That same business is now busy hiring IT people into the different business units because the outsourcing vendor is both more expensive and slower than their in-house staff.

The reason for the $100 million endeavor... It was too hard to bring new order fulfillment partners on with our custom back-end. We could have replaced that for under $5 million.

Not all change is good and I've always liked the Internet.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:00 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I wrote them a nice letter asking them if they could maybe get around to fixing the "performance" tab for me before they make any other non-essential cosmetic upgrades, else I think about putting my money somewhere else where perhaps the proprietor can offer me the 21st century cutting edge capability to see what my investments value trend has been.

I also pointed out that my "outside investments" stopped working properly a little over a week ago, showing all my Penfed CD's as worth $6 instead of close to 60k each. That made for a bit of a stunning experience when I logged in and saw that my portfolio had dropped by six figures in one day.

They also seem to have no control over the 'stocks/bonds/cash/other' pie charts. When I bought the MP funds it all went to 'other', then after a while it seemed to pick up the right allocations, now its back to 'other'.

So at this juncture I have to manually calculate my gains/losses over the last month/quarter/ytd/year, I have no firm information as to my investment distributions, and I have no confidence in the accuracy of reported investment values.

But I have a spiffy new way to look at vanguard funds that's unfamiliar and only marginally more serviceable than the one I've been using for around ten years. That makes up for everything.

"Honeyyy...call Kaiser....I'm going to need my tongue surgically removed from my cheek again..."
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:19 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Looks like Vanguard users are once again getting what they pay for. Only not so much.

I'm sure it's only a matter of weeks before Fidelity gets the "Me too!" bug. They've been making minor changes to their bill-paying and charitable-donation pages, and I hope they don't force me to completely re-set my customized start page.

Maybe this overhaul is a good thing-- a reminder that we all need to take a hint that we're spending too much time on financial websites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Oh my performance tab works..
I hear that from my spouse all the time!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote