Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard changes their layout
Old 08-22-2008, 09:59 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Vanguard changes their layout

Looks like vanguard has totally changed the layout and how you use their fund lists and the profiles.

Anyone else get rather annoyed when they've become familiar with a frequently used site and then they make wholesale changes that really havent accomplished anything other than to make things different, and give some web site programmers something to do?

In the meanwhile, I'm now in my fourth month of not having a working performance tab.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2008, 10:09 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Yes - mildy annoyed.

Looks like they have been trying some sales psych. to direct your thinking.

Think I'll do some poking around this weekend and see what else they have er re-arranged.

heh heh heh -

Old 08-22-2008, 10:10 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I always think that there is a new boss on board whose idea of progress is any change whether good or bad.....
I get frustrated with retail establishments who constantly rearrange the store layout and merchandise. Just when I know where to go to get office supplies, they move the bedsheets there and the pens to the underwear department! I think they do it so we have to walk around searching for things all the time so more time is spent.They are always looking for ways to force people to walk past items they never intended to buy in hopes that we will be gripped with an uncontrollable urge to spend more time/money in their stores.
Maybe Vanguard is doing the same thing
2fer
Old 08-22-2008, 10:11 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

It appears to be easier for novice users or prospective customers to do a search for funds based on specific criteria by checking off boxes. But once again the business doesnt take into consideration the disruption to existing customers who are familiar with the existing product.

This is the same sort of thing that Yahoo did a couple of months ago. I decided that if I had to learn a new interface, look and feel that I might as well do all that with Google instead.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:15 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Anyone else get rather annoyed when they've become familiar with a frequently used site and then they make wholesale changes that really havent accomplished anything other than to make things different, and give some web site programmers something to do?
Uh oh. "Who moved my beever cheeze!?" rants are the first sign of approaching curmudgeondry...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:23 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hey you kids get off my yard!

Oh my performance tab works..
Old 08-22-2008, 10:30 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Uh oh. "Who moved my beever cheeze!?" rants are the first sign of approaching curmudgeondry...
I got a frame for mine(curmudgeon certificate) - spent the big bucks at WalMart.

heh heh heh -
Old 08-22-2008, 10:35 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
It appears to be easier for novice users or prospective customers to do a search for funds based on specific criteria by checking off boxes. But once again the business doesnt take into consideration the disruption to existing customers who are familiar with the existing product.

This is the same sort of thing that Yahoo did a couple of months ago. I decided that if I had to learn a new interface, look and feel that I might as well do all that with Google instead.

The big difference is that Vanguard already has our money and is campaigning for the new customers money, who would you try to attract?

2fer
Old 08-22-2008, 11:14 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I'd worry about keeping me and all my money at no sales and marketing costs.

Similar to the discussion in the WSJ thread, its amazing how businesses will offer all sorts of deals and benefits to non customers who havent ever given them a penny, and bupkus to the people who've been paying the bills for years or even decades.

To then tweak and twiddle the product to create unfamiliarity for the customer seems a little ridiculous.

Its been a little while since I fiddled with a web site, but I'm pretty sure its not that hard to maintain two ways to view information and give the user the option of which one they like.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:24 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In the meanwhile, I'm now in my fourth month of not having a working performance tab.
I never have that problem with my accounts........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:50 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by two4theroad View Post
I always think that there is a new boss on board whose idea of progress is any change whether good or bad....
Bottom line: bosses are asshole idiots. (BTW, this is the basic
underlying theme of an HBO show I laud in a recent "soapbox" thread).

The usual line is "we've given our website an exciting fresh new look".
I think maybe it doesn't cross these peoples' minds, because they are
too constipated in their thinking, that people actually use internet
websites to do useful stuff. I think maybe they think it's some sort
of advanced video game, so any "new, exciting" change is gonna be a
good change.

Meanwhile, you kids get out of my yard !
Old 08-22-2008, 02:06 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
I got a frame for mine(curmudgeon certificate) - spent the big bucks at WalMart.

heh heh heh -
Sort of an Oak frame - plus I'll be pissed if my VG ER drift's up from 0.19ish!

heh heh heh - BTW I still make them snail mail me stuff cause I don't really trust those new fangled computers and they haven't paid me cash to quit. .

ok ok maybe I'll toss in the towel and conceed electricity is here to stay! .
Old 08-22-2008, 02:14 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post

ok ok maybe I'll toss in the towel and conceed electricity is here to stay! .
Have you heard? Electricity is here to stay but the wires will all be gone!

Magnetic transmission a la Tesla?
And I read about the invisibility cloak a few days ago....

We get closer to Star Trek every year.

Beam me up, Scotty.

2fer
Old 08-22-2008, 04:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Its been a little while since I fiddled with a web site, but I'm pretty sure its not that hard to maintain two ways to view information and give the user the option of which one they like.
It depends, on a lot of things. They could have rewritten the backend system as well and it wasn't a simple port of the front-end because it had a bunch of logic built in. a new site would involve writing two new front-ends then. Of course, if they were smart, they'd make it super-simple to add multiple front ends for the future...

then there's the fact that someone gets a burr that it's not worth spending money on the new site if it doesn't look new and exciting.

the head of ops will freak out that their call center people need to know how to navigate someone through both front-ends.

someone gets worried that people won't be able to know which version of the site their on. things go forward with a single view of the new site.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Well then they shoulda just left the gosh darn thing alone!!!
Old 08-22-2008, 05:22 PM   #16
Administrator

Yes - - I saw it last night and I found it to be annoying as well.

I liked it better the way it was.

Curmudgeoness in Training ("psst! Wellesley!", "I liked the website the OLD way!" - - how's that? ),

W2R

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:13 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with y'all. They probably spent too much money fixing something that wasn't broke (they should've lowered the ER on their funds by an extra 0.01% instead!). Sure it looks all spiffy and easier to navigate for the novices, but I find the new layout annoying and overly complicated. Oh well, give me a week, and I won't even remember the old website!
Old 08-22-2008, 06:31 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

As if I didn't have enough problems. Last week my cable company changed all the digital channels around and my sports channels are now cartoon or food shows. Before the change I could win a gold medal in channel surfing. To add insult to injury Vanguard has now joined in.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:00 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by poboy View Post
As if I didn't have enough problems. Last week my cable company changed all the digital channels around and my sports channels are now cartoon or food shows.
AUGH!

I hated it when directv did that about 7-8 years ago. "We moved all the channels around so that "like" channels are together and easier to find!!! Oh, and #$%#$ you to everyone who has been a customer all these years and had the channel numbers memorized!!!"

Someone somewhere is busily washing their hands for the 37th time.

I really liked the way the funds used to be displayed, grouped within type and you could drill down on them. When I want to peruse funds, I'm usually looking for a specific category and want to focus on the options. I cant imagine too many newbs with their eyes glazed over saying "ummm...I want a fund with these check boxes for features!!!" :P :
Old 08-22-2008, 07:24 PM   #20

yes, i too was mildly annoyed. it's in part of case of old dogs, new tricks, i think, coupled with your spouse having moved furniture in the middle of the night, then moving the remote to a new spot. remember the complaints when the set-up of this forum was changed? we'll get accustomed to it, just before they change it again!