Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard Diehards-- dot org!
Old 02-20-2007, 02:02 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Vanguard Diehards-- dot org!

It's with great pleasure, and thanks to BigMoneyJim's watchful vigilance, that I'd like to announce it's safe to go back to the Vanguard Diehards discussion board.

What's left of it. This action was inspired by a mutiny, not by M*'s alleged moderators. A bunch of the newer DHs have deserted for another board of their own.

http://diehardsforum.org/index.php

I have to admit, though, I've found a home over here that I never had over at M*. And those ads sure are annoying...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Vanguard Diehards-- dot org!
Old 02-20-2007, 02:13 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

er, okay I'll bite..who's M*?
Old 02-20-2007, 02:18 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What to do, what to do.

Always lurked at M - too cheap to pony up the five bucks. Been a Bogle fan pushing three decades.

Signed up for the new forum(free) when they started jumping ship due to H#^!s.

Now he's been zapped. So what happens to the new forum??

heh heh heh - alas - like that line from Renecks, Whitesocks and Blueribbon Beer - 'there's no place I'd rather be than right here'. But a free vote for Boglehead's ? - Yeah You Right!
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:24 PM   #4

I've been a lurker at the diehards board in the past. I might join the new forum since the price is right.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:29 PM   #5

who's M*??
Old 02-20-2007, 02:33 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Morningstar.

Vanguard Diehards is one of the forums they host.

Others can post more - I'm only a rookie lurker. Morningstar has a long and illustrious history.

heh heh heh
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:37 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

http://socialize.morningstar.com/New...mId=F100000015

Old 02-20-2007, 02:38 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have lurked for a while on M*, and just as an FYI, using the combo of Firefox, Adblock and Flashblock, all I see after a few initial clicks month ago, is nice clean text every visit -- no ads at all.
DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:08 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I've enjoyed the Vanguard Diehards board at Morningstar for many years, though I haven't posted often. I wonder if maybe the moderators tolerated H&%*s because he generated a lot of activity--which made their site numbers look better.

samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
I wonder if maybe the moderators tolerated H&%*s because he generated a lot of activity--which made their site numbers look better.
For those of us that are relative newcomers to this forum, could you give us a little color on H&%*s? Who is he/she? Why is he/she so hated? etc. etc.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51
For those of us that are relative newcomers to this forum, could you give us a little color on H&%*s? Who is he/she? Why is he/she so hated? etc. etc.
Yeah! Who is this h-o-c-u-s dude/ette?
Old 02-20-2007, 04:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Who is this h-o-c-u-s dude/ette?
well that's a very long story ...
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by d
well that's a very long story ...
Wow! I just googled h-o-c-u-s and finance and found a ton of information.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:11 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I remember there was some weird guy that posted on that forum who always talked in the third person. Can't remember his logon name though. Anyone remember?
Old 02-20-2007, 05:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
Wow! I just googled h-o-c-u-s and finance and found a ton of information.
That is all it takes. This link already did the heavy lifting for you quite some time ago.

http://www.s152957355.onlinehome.us/...m=1165286433/1
DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:27 PM   #16

h-o-c-u-s is not just an internet troll, he is THE internet troll. He often claims to be the creator of the financial freedom community. This ficticious community is comprised of several internet retirement boards: 1) The Motley Fool Early Retirement Board, 2) The NoFees Board, 3) Raddr's Early Retirement Board, and 4) This Board. Recently he began posting on M* Diehards board because he has been permanently banned from all of the other above mentioned boards.

He fancies himself a financial advisor but admits that he "is not a numbers guy". He is certain that all previously published studies on Safe Withdrawal Rate (SWR) are wrong, but refuses to say what the right answer is. His behavior on internet boards involves making outrageous claims, misrepresenting what others say, criticizing retirement board icons like Bogle and Bernstein, refusing to answer direct questions or engage in meaningful debate while still writing a plethora of 20 paragraph rants. He is especially critical of John Greaney, operator of a special board who's sole purpose is to contain hocomania.

He recently published a Vanity Press Book title "Passion Saving" and sells it through his internet site.

His most recent banning at M* resulted when he insisted that he be allowed to attend an annual event where Diehards honor Jack Bogle so that he could question Bogle about his investment theories.

A quick google search of h o c u s or hocomania will produce more information than anyone really wants to know.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:34 PM   #17

The other board (intercst's) has a whole section devoted to him....I think it is his life's passion to spar with this clown....http://www.s152957355.onlinehome.us/....pl?board=HOCO
Old 02-20-2007, 06:08 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I wasn't a member of NFB, but I think he's one of the primary reasons that NFB shut down. And he came too darn close to driving away the old-timers of this discussion board.

This board's software removes banned posters from the Members List... for some reason they become nonpersons even though all their posts are still in the database.

However if you use the "Advanced Search" option of the "Search" feature to look for a common keyword by that user name, then their posts will pop up. Clicking on one of their posts gives you access to their user name & profile. When you click on that user name, at the bottom of the profile screen is a link titled "Show the last posts of this person" that you can click for a list of all their posts.

Be aware that doing the above for H0cus' posts means that you've just trolled yourself. It's 586 separate instances of someone who claims to understand the English language using vocabulary that's totally devoid of all semantic meaning and mathematical comprehension. He doesn't post here anymore and hopefully he never will, but if you decide you want to communicate with him there are plenty of other places he can be found.

EDIT: Well, that kludge works, but, duh, I guess we could also go to the "Members List" link at the bottom of the main page and then use the "Search for Members" link from there: http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...list;sa=search

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I remember there was some weird guy that posted on that forum who always talked in the third person. Can't remember his logon name though. Anyone remember?
Munchkin Man, Hombre Munchkin, Munchie, etc. etc. etc....

His "scheme" is/was penny stocks, if I remember...

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:23 PM   #20

I came on this board just as he was being run out on a rail leaving. Isn't he the one that went broke after 2 years of ER and then blamed everything and everyone else for the failure?
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vanguard