Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-27-2009, 09:36 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I just checked--able to log in w/o security questions, still have the right balance (yesterday the dividends got added in--maybe that caused some abnormal site behavior?).

I would completely freak out too if a $0 balance showed up, EVER (and would check DH's whereabouts immediately). Vanguard should just post that the site is unavailable due to maintenance instead of this funny business happening when people try to log in.
Same here - - no problem logging in, and no login questions. They even posted my end of June Wellesley dividend.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2009, 09:37 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
OK, That one would freak me out !!!
Firedreamer Win's the Prise !!!
Everything's back to normal this morning. Phew!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:38 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I clean out all cookies when FF closed. Thus everytime I logon to a secure site, need to reenter all the cutesy security questions.

I prefer it that way. In fact, if you use CCleaner for example it wipes out all cookies, which web sites use to recognize your pc.

I don't like keeping any cookies on my pc, they only stay on until the browser is closed. In fact after visiting financial sites I always close the browser. Then start a new session. Belts and suspender I suppose, but it keeps my mind at ease.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:26 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I logged on yesterday and had to answer a security question also.A while back(about 2 years ago) logged on to Vanguard & had $ 36,000,000 balance.This was SLIGHTLY more than my actual holdings.However before I could open the Swiss bank account they caught their error. Wealth can be fleeting.
wolfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:26 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I just signed on to my Vanguard account and this is the message I got:

"Your account has a $0 balance"

I suspect that they are upgrading their website, hence all the weirdness lately...
I just logged on to Vanguard and got the message.
Transfer of $xxx,yyy.zz from FIREDreamer (real name) sweet.

Thanks I'll put you on my Xmas card list.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:05 AM   #26
Administrator

My daughter was locked out of her vanguard account 3 times in the past 2 weeks, but I was always able to access her account (different computers). We spoke with the Vanguard rep, he “reset”, things were fine. At my request they investigated and left me a long, polite and well mannered voicemail that said time and again that there was no technical failure so it must have been “user initiated”.

I was locked out of my account yesterday morning. I called. The rep told me there had been a system problem over the past week and that “many accountholders” had suffered the same problem. He was a bit concerned because they had been told the problem had been resolved friday night but this happened saturday morning.

I brought up the previous problem with my daughter and their terrible response blaming the user – and suggested they take more care to avoid this type of attitude.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:12 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Anyone else getting this: Every other time I log onto Vanguard, it says it doesn't recognize my computer and I need to answer one of my security questions.
Are you sure you're you?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - sorta like back in the day when unknowns were - 'pilot error.'

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:55 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
My daughter was locked out of her vanguard account 3 times in the past 2 weeks, but I was always able to access her account (different computers). We spoke with the Vanguard rep, he “reset”, things were fine. At my request they investigated and left me a long, polite and well mannered voicemail that said time and again that there was no technical failure so it must have been “user initiated”.
They have a security feature where if you try to enter the answers to your security question 3 times in a row and do so incorrectly each time, it locks out any future access from unknown computers. Only computers that have previously been used to log in to vanguard and still had the cookies to prove it could log in until you reset your security questions by calling in. This happened to me a while back.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:29 AM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
They have a security feature where if you try to enter the answers to your security question 3 times in a row and do so incorrectly each time, it locks out any future access from unknown computers. Only computers that have previously been used to log in to vanguard and still had the cookies to prove it could log in until you reset your security questions by calling in. This happened to me a while back.
You sound like the guy at vanguard.

The problem Vanguard had this past week, as confirmed to me by my own experience and then by the vanguard rep, was a system error that began by not recognizing the "normal access" computer, then not accepting the security questions, even when they were correctly answered.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:34 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Same here - - no problem logging in, and no login questions. They even posted my end of June Wellesley dividend.
OK, this morning when I logged in from work as I often do, I was asked my security question. However, no problems at all after that. It didn't bother me.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:37 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
You sound like the guy at vanguard.

The problem Vanguard had this past week, as confirmed to me by my own experience and then by the vanguard rep, was a system error that began by not recognizing the "normal access" computer, then not accepting the security questions, even when they were correctly answered.
Ok - wasn't sure if you knew about the "security feature" where they shut off access to new computers if you answer the questions wrong 3x. I didn't and that was why I was baffled at being able to access from some cpus and not others. And it was our corporate account for my employer, so I had to get the company president to call in to vanguard to re-initialize the security questions (so it was a little bit of a hassle).
Old 06-29-2009, 01:31 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Did any of you get the security question "What was the first name of the first person you had sex with?"
Old 06-29-2009, 02:01 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Did any of you get the security question "What was the first name of the first person you had sex with?"
Naw, they know that most of us are so old we'd never remember! They just ask that one of the young guys like you!

Old 06-29-2009, 02:27 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Mine asked "What were the first names of the first people you had sex with?". What are they implying?
Old 06-29-2009, 02:47 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nanny.

Oh, they said "person"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:59 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yeah, I just said "Trombone Al" and they let me in. They said that's the default response.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Rosie?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote