Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard Security Codes and Mint
Old 12-15-2017, 12:14 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Vanguard Security Codes and Mint

We just received an email from VG stating that we won't be able to log into our accounts after 12/21 if we don't sign up for their security code feature. But when I went over to sign up, I noticed this blurb:

Quote:
Note: You may experience issues using financial aggregation tools such as Mint.com, CashEdge, or Yodlee if you sign up to receive security codes. You may not be able to view your accounts through these tools. Also, you may receive a security code when the aggregation tool attempts to log on to your accounts.
Have any VG account holders here who use Mint signed up for the security code feature and if so, are you still able to track VG accounts in Mint?
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2017, 03:04 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I haven't received an email from Vanguard (yet?). When I log into Vanguard they offer to add the security code feature to my account, but still allow me to click "Remind me later".
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:10 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
I haven't received an email from Vanguard (yet?). When I log into Vanguard they offer to add the security code feature to my account, but still allow me to click "Remind me later".
Same here, so far.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:12 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
I had been clicking the 'Remind me later' link but we received the following email from VG today:

Quote:
The deadline for signing up to receive security codes is fast approaching

Dear Carpediem,

If you've logged on to your Vanguard account recently, you've noticed a message requiring that you enroll in our security codes service. Vanguard takes client account security very seriously, and we have many measures in place to protect your account information and assets. We need you to do your part as well. Two-step verification services like security codes add an extra level of account protection. Once you enroll, we'll send you a unique, one-time-use code each time you log on or when you log on from a device we don't recognize.

Please enroll by December 21. After that time, you won't be able to log on to your account until you've signed up to receive security codes.
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:19 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I just checked my new inbox mail, old inbox mail, deleted mail, and spam folders in my e-mail account and so far, no message like that has come to me.

I did get an email holiday wishes card from Vanguard Flagship yesterday, but it said nothing about this matter.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:53 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Are you guys talking about mutual fund accounts or brokerage accounts?
pn3069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:24 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I have security codes on and use Mint. It works but is annoying - whenever I log on to Mint it fails to update Vanguard and gives me a message that I need to enter additional information and then have to enter the security code. I get two text messages from each time, one for the first failed login and another when Mint prompts me to enter it.
geeky_grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:34 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I use the security code as well. You have to remember to have your phone when ever you log in to mint.

Since I really only use mint to track my spending this annoyance reminded me delete all my investment accounts from mint.
SoReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:11 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeky_grrl View Post
I have security codes on and use Mint. It works but is annoying - whenever I log on to Mint it fails to update Vanguard and gives me a message that I need to enter additional information and then have to enter the security code. I get two text messages from each time, one for the first failed login and another when Mint prompts me to enter it.
I receive two security codes when signing into MINT. It is very irritating and sometimes I ignore entering the codes in MINT and update Vanguard every few days instead of each time I log into MINT.

I only have two accounts at Vanguard so it is a small percent of my portfolio anyway.
littleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:51 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I’m a mint and vanguard 2-factor user. If you use the option to only require a code when viewing from a previously unknown computer you only have to go through the code entry process once. A little less secure but it’s a lot better than no extra security. Doesn’t work with my iPhone app. I have to enter codes each time I use mint on my iPhone. Net effect- I’ve stopped checking on my phone [emoji16]
Old 12-15-2017, 10:40 PM   #11

I do not have accounts at Vangaurd. But I wish all my accounts provided two factor. Where they do, I use it and appreciate the effort they are taking to protect me.

That extra bit of security would be a comfort to me.
savory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:20 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
I do not have accounts at Vangaurd. But I wish all my accounts provided two factor. Where they do, I use it and appreciate the effort they are taking to protect me.

That extra bit of security would be a comfort to me.
+1
It's better than not having it, in my opinion.

Of course I don't use Mint.
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:19 AM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pn3069 View Post
Are you guys talking about mutual fund accounts or brokerage accounts?
It applies to both.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:00 AM   #14

It applies to virtually all accounts used on the web. Here is an explanation I found clear and helpful https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...uthentication/

This has been discussed a few times on ER if you want to read more about it
savory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
I had been clicking the 'Remind me later' link but we received the following email from VG today:
From the email they sent you:

"Once you enroll, we'll send you a unique, one-time-use code each time you log on or when you log on from a device we don't recognize"

Isn't the bold part redundant since it is already contained in the "each time you log on" phrase?
Old 12-16-2017, 01:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
From the email they sent you:

"Once you enroll, we'll send you a unique, one-time-use code each time you log on or when you log on from a device we don't recognize"

Isn't the bold part redundant since it is already contained in the "each time you log on" phrase?
You get to choose whether you receive the code each time you log on or only when you log on from a device they don't recognize.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:39 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
You get to choose whether you receive the code each time you log on or only when you log on from a device they don't recognize.
Exactly. You can click a box that says “remember me on this device”.