Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-09-2019, 03:24 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you want to enter the medium size SUV market, I have been looking at the new Honda Passport and have been impressed. The EX_L model has a full suite of safety equipment through Honda Sensing, leather seats, and all of the normal power equipment. It sells for 36-38,000 depending on FWD or AWD.

I have not bought one yet, but am waiting for the fall season to sell my current 2 vehicles and buying a replacement.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2019, 04:19 PM   #22

My wife is buying a blue Hyundai Santa Fe SEL Plus after driving a F-150 truck for the past 9 years. The truck was showroom with 28k miles. Someone is getting a great deal on that used truck.

Her new car will be easier for her to climb in and out and has 3 pages of single spaced features. May have to go to a class to learn how all of it works. Warrantee is 5yr/60k miles, 10yr/100k on power train (upgraded at no charge to lifetime). She talked them into a good deal after we walked out of the dealership and started to leave. They really wanted that truck.

It should be her last car if her mileage continues to be low. It will probably take her 20 years to get 60k on it. Gas might be too expensive by then.

I even played with the idea of one for myself but my 2012 Ford Escape only has 61k miles so should be good for another 8 years. Otherwise I would go for the red one.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:36 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Consider these features when dealing with back or hip pain.

Hip-height seats that ease entry and exit.
NO running boards! Rocker panels only to ease entry and exit.
A steering wheel that automatically retracts and raises upon door opening
Keyless go ( to avoid bending forward)
HEATED SEATS -a wonder for alleviation of back issues
Adjustable seats with memory (what SUV does not have these today?).

Bonus points:
A seat that raises and lowers
Adjustable Foot pederast

The older me likes CPO vehicles now.

And above all - look at the crash ratings for the year and model before buying.

Atom
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Perhaps OP once has narrowed it down to a choice of 1 or 2 vehicles, should rent said vehicle for 2 days and take a long trip somewhere interesting, stay overnight and drive home. A real test.
While this makes so much sense, my experience with renting cars is that they are typically not well optioned and would not likely have the nicest seats in the lineup with all the adjusters. Maybe there are car rental services that have more high end cars, but just going to Hertz or whatever may not work. I'd go test drive a number of vehicles and once I was serious, work out a long term test drive with a dealer. Maybe they have a well optioned demo they could let you have for a weekend. I agree though, it's hard to be sure about a vehicle until you've drove it awhile - certainly longer than a typical test drive.

One option is to lease. Then, worse case is you're stuck for two years. I always got a kick out of sales people when I'd go to get my next lease and their reaction when I told them I didn't want to see it or drive it, just write me up and get me out of there. I was buying high end Buicks and I'm sure if I didn't like it, I could certainly live with it for two years. Those days are gone, but Lacrosse's were nice cars.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmsmshr View Post
Adjustable Foot pederast
Aren't they illegal?
Old 06-09-2019, 05:14 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
If you want to enter the medium size SUV market, I have been looking at the new Honda Passport and have been impressed. The EX_L model has a full suite of safety equipment through Honda Sensing, leather seats, and all of the normal power equipment. It sells for 36-38,000 depending on FWD or AWD.

I have not bought one yet, but am waiting for the fall season to sell my current 2 vehicles and buying a replacement.

I remember the earlier Honda Passport that was a rebadged Isuzu Rodeo until the Pilot came out.

I’ve been and still am a Honda person but with these reports of problems with oil/gas I think I’ll pay attention to how things go with the new one and wait a couple of years to see what happens. I think they are built in Alabama.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:47 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Aren't they illegal?
Now I have to go and clear my google search history!

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:04 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I remember the earlier Honda Passport that was a rebadged Isuzu Rodeo until the Pilot came out.

I’ve been and still am a Honda person but with these reports of problems with oil/gas I think I’ll pay attention to how things go with the new one and wait a couple of years to see what happens. I think they are built in Alabama.
The Passport has the same 6 cylinder 280 HP motor they have used for years in the Pilot. Should be a safe bet, but I don't blame you for being a little gun shy.

VW
Old 06-09-2019, 10:25 PM   #29

We bought an Equinox last fall. Much easier to get in and out of compared to the previous car. Also, you can see better in parking lots because you sit higher. Much more maneuverable than the pickup.

I think every company has the same basic vehicle out there, so pick a favorite brand or dealer, pick new or gently used, and you should have a reliable vehicle for many years. We would have preferred a higher trim level with the lane keeping and warning systems, but they had blow-out pricing on the one we bought (and the car was wavering just before winter).
Old 06-10-2019, 01:35 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

There are many different SUVs on the retail market that fit your needs.

But for seating comfort, the Lexus RX350 has the most comfortable front seating of any vehicle of any size.on the retail market. And that.includes the S series Mercedes, Maybach or any other vehicle.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:55 AM   #31

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Aren't they illegal?
well, poop.
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:01 AM   #32

We had an Equinox and now have a CRV. Both would cover your issues.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:18 AM   #33

My two metal knees and a fused spine had me move to a CRV and now a RAV4. I can kinda slide in easily, I see better - the backup camera is a joy and the All wheel drive is awesome.

We own three Toyota’s and a CRV. We service them carefully and they are as dependable as can be.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:30 AM   #34

Check online for current pricing and incentives, too. They can be significant right now. This past weekend, we got $4,250 off, plus just under another thousand in X-Plan Pricing on the Ford Escape. The Chevy Equinox has incentives as well, but would have cost about $3K more after incentives. Yet, in late 2017, the Equinox was cheaper than buying the Escape.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:35 AM   #35

Our fleet of cars includes a Hyundia Sante Fe SUV, two Ford Escapes, and a Kia minivan. At 5' 8" I find ease of entry/exit is worst in the Sante Fe only because of the roof angle, seat is OK. Entry is easiest in the older Ford Escapes (minimal drop butt into seat but need to drag feet across door threshold). Exit is by far the easiest in the minivan(just slide my butt off the seat) but slight climb up. Entry/exit ease varies a lot even among similar cars.

Don't discount a minivan. Except for the lack of all wheel drive (we average over 100 inches of snow per year) it is my favorite, versatile, all around vehicle. Possibly check out Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Kia. Kia is my value favorite. Chrysler has questionable reliability, Honda/Toyota are pricey a two year old one is reasonable with the drop in popularity.
RE2Boys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:45 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livefree View Post
I would recommend a small SUV. I went from a Honda Accord to my Subaru Forester. Getting in and out is so much easier on my back. I paid under $25k for my Forester.
Just purchased base Forester 2019, with mag wheel option. $24,999 out the door.
San Francisco Bay Area. (For short and older people. Great visibility).

Try small Suv's. And minivans. Getting into most sedans not an issue, you
just "plop" down. The problem is getting up! and out.

Suv's and Mini vans. Seats are higher. You just "slid in" and "slid out".
Just find a model that has comfortable seats.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote