Join Early Retirement Today

Vehicle thoughts, need some input !
Old 06-09-2019, 06:58 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Vehicle thoughts, need some input !

I'm currently driving a 2015 Altima, bought new and has less than 20K miles. The problem is with a bad back getting in and out is difficult and any ride of long duration just kills my back. Thinking seriously about trading for something that sits up higher so I don't have to shoe horn myself in and out. Looking at possibly a small SUV or crossover to fit the bill. Would like to stay below $40K and will likely trade trade the Altima. Suggestions and appreciate any and all comments in advance.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2019, 07:02 AM   #2
Administrator

Are you looking for adjustable seats with both height and lumbar support, height off the ground, or something different?

MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:03 AM   #3

DGF totaled our Civic and she also has back issues and thus we went with a compact SUV. We chose a middle of the line Mazda CX-5. It cost 29k all in and we we are very happy with it and it is easier to get in and out of.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:08 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I would recommend a small SUV. I went from a Honda Accord to my Subaru Forester. Getting in and out is so much easier on my back. I paid under $25k for my Forester.
Livefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:17 AM   #5

Do you have another car besides the Nissan? I agree it sits a little lower. We have one and think the seat comfort for long duration is the best we have ever had. On our snowbird drives 8 to 10 hours a day with no discomfort. So many compact SUV have shorter front seats and don't give enough leg support IMO.

It's a pickle because what works for others might not work for you.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Are you looking for adjustable seats with both height and lumbar support, height off the ground, or something different?
Basically something that sits up higher and yes adjustable seats. I didn't think they made vehicles without them these days. I have no brand loyalty either.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
It's a pickle because what works for others might not work for you.
I lost track of how many times someone recommended a certain vehicle for tall people like me then when I go to test drive it I can't even get my knee past the steering wheel. What works for some does not work for all. If you are not in a hurry then just go test drive a dozen different vehicles and see what works for You.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:40 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livefree View Post
I would recommend a small SUV.
+1
That seems to be the answer for most of us.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:44 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I lost track of how many times someone recommended a certain vehicle for tall people like me then when I go to test drive it I can't even get my knee past the steering wheel. What works for some does not work for all. If you are not in a hurry then just go test drive a dozen different vehicles and see what works for You.
+1
Agree OP needs to do many test drives, of a long duration, or at least 10 in & out , otherwise OP may buy another vehicle that is uncomfortable.

Perhaps OP once has narrowed it down to a choice of 1 or 2 vehicles, should rent said vehicle for 2 days and take a long trip somewhere interesting, stay overnight and drive home. A real test.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:52 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I would recommend something like a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Ford Explorer. I think a small suv like a Rav4 or cr-v would be too small. A friend of mine just got a Grand Cherokee with Quadra-Lift that keeps it higher for ingress/egress and lowers it at highway speeds for better gas mileage. He's old, has a bad back, and really likes it.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:09 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Back in April, bought a Nissan AWD Rogue. So far, like it alot. Very comfortable - easy to get in and out.

Before buying it, I had a chance to drive back from Florida to Illinois in my bil's Rogue. Rode very well at 80 -85 mph. That's all I need - guess my Mario Andretti days are over.
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:18 AM   #12

Most smaller SUVs are available under $40k. I like my Audi Q3, and before that my Acura RDX - both in the Honda CRV size range. Ford Escape is a nice smaller one too. The smaller ones aren't as high off the ground as say the Nissan Xterra (also like), but more than a car, enough to avoid your back issues most likely.

You really can't go wrong in that market, and the price range will determine which you prefer. If you want leather and sun roof you're generally going to be in the $35-40 range, but cloth/domestic you can find sub-30.

The small Suv's are going to have a decent about of carry space, but not as much as the mid/larger ones of course.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:27 AM   #13

DW is about to pull the trigger on a Forester, trading in her 2006 CRV. She likes the small SUVs as she has glare issues at night and they get her eyes higher off the road. She can't handle the idea of a large SUV.

I notice that a lot of the Foresters I see around town are driven by older folks. Ease of entry could be one reason.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:36 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Went from BMW wagons with sport suspension (1.5" lower than standard) to a CX5 Mazda. The Mazda is much easier to back my rump into and sit and doesn't have the hoist meself out of the seat using the roof edge when exiting issue. That said, the BMWs have had far more comfortable seats. The CX5 isn't bad, think they are better than Subaru, but they just aren't near as good for long drives.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
The problem is with a bad back getting in and out is difficult and any ride of long duration just kills my back. Thinking seriously about trading for something that sits up higher so I don't have to shoe horn myself in and out. Looking at possibly a small SUV or crossover to fit the bill. Would like to stay below $40K and will likely trade trade the Altima. Suggestions and appreciate any and all comments in advance.
I like my Subaru Forester for the great visibility and ease of entry/exit.

You should try many different small SUVs. Comfort is a very individual thing.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:25 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

In no particular order Honda CR-V, Toyota Rav4, Nissan Rogue, Subaru Forester. Not much help, sorry. I have owned 5 Hondas, 3 Toyotas and 1 Subaru and been very pleased with every one of them.

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:39 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
In no particular order Honda CR-V, Toyota Rav4, Nissan Rogue, Subaru Forester.
Don't leave out the Mazda CX-5.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I would recommend something like a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Ford Explorer. I think a small suv like a Rav4 or cr-v would be too small. A friend of mine just got a Grand Cherokee with Quadra-Lift that keeps it higher for ingress/egress and lowers it at highway speeds for better gas mileage. He's old, has a bad back, and really likes it.

I agree, going to a little bigger vehicle than a small SUV will be the best in terms of comfort and ease of entry/exit. My DW's daily driver is a 2016 Explorer and it has worked out great for us. The Grand Cherokees are nice, although no personal experience with them.

I do have a lot of experience with our older 2008 Ford Edge, it has been a really good car, little lower than the Explorer, but still easy entry/exit. It is probably about same as the small SUV in terms of height, but is bigger inside. Either the Edge or Explorer can be bought for under $40K as a nice optioned up model, not the base.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:59 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
I'm currently driving a 2015 Altima, bought new and has less than 20K miles. The problem is with a bad back getting in and out is difficult and any ride of long duration just kills my back. Thinking seriously about trading for something that sits up higher so I don't have to shoe horn myself in and out. Looking at possibly a small SUV or crossover to fit the bill. Would like to stay below $40K and will likely trade trade the Altima. Suggestions and appreciate any and all comments in advance.
Timely! Yesterday we bought a 2019 Ford Escape. Late 2017 we bought a 2018 Chevy Equinox. We're quite happy with both. Pricing after incentives on both was just over $24K.

No back problems here, but it's easier getting in and out of a higher seated vehicle. Not to mention better visibility in general. I'd recently spent the last few months driving a 2012 Ford Fusion. I'd pump up the driver's seat almost to the max and still felt like I was sitting too low compared to the Equinox.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:12 PM   #20

Compact SUV = shorter wheelbase = choppier ride. If I had back trouble I'd look for something with a longer wheelbase.

The most comfortable seats I've ever rested my butt on were in a Mercedes-Benz.

Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote