Join Early Retirement Today
Old 04-12-2014, 06:34 PM   #41
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I am sure any policeman would have a lot of traffic horror stories to tell.
I'm one of those.

Not so much horror stories but mostly just general stupidity, inattention, distractions, and of course the old standby, DWI. Those Darwin Award stories you hear about? They're probably all true, at least going by what I've seen.

Passing a stopped school bus was an automatic ticket. I didn't care if someone was having a heart attack or delivering a baby, they got a ticket. It wasn't a cheap one either. (Okay, that never happened but I would call an ambulance for them.) No insurance was another one and I'd tow the car and take the tags, turned in to MVA. They'd have to get proof of insurance and reregister the car from scratch.

Cell phones in wide use happened just a few years before I retired (I was doing fraud work by then anyway) and I would have been merciless on those idiots yakking, texting & driving.

The really bad wrecks are by definition pretty rare, at least where I worked. In 18 years on the road I saw perhaps a dozen fatals myself and only handled one. It was mostly suburban area and the speeds didn't usually get anywhere near three figures where things get very bad. Later on the very serious and fatals were handled by a specialty collision reconstruction unit, which is a good thing.

I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2014, 08:26 PM   #42
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
No insurance was another one and I'd tow the car and take the tags, turned in to MVA. They'd have to get proof of insurance and reregister the car from scratch.
We only wish that would be the norm around this city of 4+ million and 2+ million undocumented "southerners". We would need a tow in lot the size of Rhode Island to hold the cars.

Here, we just hand them a $50 ticket and they are on there way. This even happens if they whack somebody and the law shows up. Mind you now, they must show proof of insurance when they pay the $50 ticket, but it's only a $39 monthly policy from Fred Loya Insurance to do the trick (or they just ignore the ticket).

aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:09 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.
And yet.....with all the new safety gear going into cars.....if they came out with a new (old) version of the old Datsun pickups (or Ford Ranger etc....not the big version they turned into) I would be willing to buy one. They were really useful vehicles that ran well, got good gas mileage, and were cheap to run. Now, after years and years of safety upgrades....the small pickups weigh twice as much and get 1/3 less mpg.....yep, they are safer, but cost twice as much because of it. At some point....they are going to put so many safety devices on vehicles that not too many people will be able to afford them.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:55 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Of course, some of us already have one...
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Good looking truck. What is it? Been looking, my guess is a Mack, but I've seen a REO, and Diamond T that are similar.
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I'm not sure, could be a 38 Chevy with a 454 in it? So, 38Chevy454, what is it?
My avatar is one of my hot rods. It is a 1949 Ford COE (cab over engine) and it was a big truck when originally built. Had a 14 ft flatbed and was a 3 ton rated truck. Now it is on a 1-ton GM pickup chassis and is not that big, same as a full size truck. It is highly modified from stock. Here is a picture to see better.

Here is my namesake, a 1938 Chevy 2 dr sedan with a 454 engine:

apologies to the OP for the hijack.....
I used to have a handle on life....... but it broke!

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:40 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I receive Elio email updates. Signed up for them when I first heard about the car last year. Here's the latest. Kind of reminds me of a tiny Prowler.

splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote

small carr elio