Very small new car - maybe?

Would be ideal for the elderly in those "enclosed" residential retirement areas that have all amenities within the community. (like the Villages in Florida) that have grocery stores, banks, theaters, etc. all withing the community. Also area like NYC might be a good option.

I think the main reason to own such a car is that one drives in very congested cities, and these cars are easier to fit into a small parking space. My 2 cents.

At $6,800 it's cheaper than many (most?) motorcycles and quite a bit more practical in lousy weather. I'd seriously consider it for a 2nd vehicle, or to replace the bike, or if/when we move to a retirement community.

Not the vehicle to drive across the country in or for daily highway commuting but it will have it's place in the grand scheme of things.

Note that no matter what size personal vehicle one drives, there is always something bigger on the road. Sometimes much bigger.

SUVs can be in non-survivable collisions as well.

......and this proved my point, you can't defeat physics and the large difference in mass between the two vehicles........

I think the main reason to own such a car is that one drives in very congested cities, and these cars are easier to fit into a small parking space. My 2 cents.

Agree, in a congested area something like this motorcycle would be great. I'm not in the target market, wouldn't take that thing out on I-70 at 75 MPH, too much excitement. I guess I got older.
MRG

Damn.....I don't think I can afford to buy a semi-truck...
Of course, some of us already have one...

I may have to practice...but then again. The American way is.....bigger the better!! Get the hell out of my way!

Just park the way some people in Lincolns do, by sonar. They just back up 'til they hear crunching sounds.

On youtube, one sees so many scary traffic accidents and near misses that could make one not wanting to leave home.

In my RV treks, I have witnessed 3 instances that could have very bad results. One time on a freeway in Albuquerque a semi-trailer tire exploded, and the debris almost hit a motorcycle driver, but instead hit a class A RV in front of me. The semi driver and the RV both pulled off to settle.

Another time north of Denver, a careless pickup driver carried an aluminum ladder in the truck bed without any tied rope. The ladder blew off the truck bed and landed in the lane next to mine. Miraculously, it lied perfectly in the middle of the lane and pointing along the road direction. Several cars immediately behind the pickup truck passed over that ladder harmlessly. It could have been a lot worse if the ladder blocked the lane, and a car would blow its tires running over it and the driver would lose control. I shuddered when thinking of what could have happened. The idiot pickup driver accelerated and took the next exit to run away from the scene.

The 3rd time was on a highway in North Dakota when a semi tire exploded as the driver was passing my RV. Fortunately, the tire was on the left side and the debris did not hit my motorhome. I immediately braked hard to let the semi pass and pull off the highway.

I am sure any policeman would have a lot of traffic horror stories to tell. At my age, I am certainly old enough to know better to drive carefully and to take care of my vehicles to avoid these mishaps. It's no laughing matter!

PS. I have seen so many stupid pickup drivers who did not tie down their cargo. I have seen so many dining tables, chairs, mattresses blown off pickup beds, and one time even new furnitures still in cartons.

Last edited:
I think it is safer to ride a motorcycle than a really small car. My DW was in a mid size SUV when she was hit on the side by another SUV with two teenagers in the back of our SUV. If they would have been in a small car, the teenagers would have been killed. We owned a small car as well........it got sold the next day and was replaced by another SUV that has side air bags.......Never did find the hit and run driver of the SUV that hit my DW......but I really don't care since everybody was OK. The tow truck driver that picked up up our SUV told us how lucky we were........." if the kids would have been in a small car you would be planning their funerals".......we were lucky!!!!!!!! NO MORE SMALL CARS

Good looking truck. What is it? Been looking, my guess is a Mack, but I've seen a REO, and Diamond T that are similar.

Back when I was commuting, I remember when the Porsche Cayenne, their SUV, came out. A number of the Silicon Valley bright lights bought these, because they could both have an SUV, and a Porsche.

Over the next year I saw several of these upside down on the shoulder of the freeway. Hey guys, it's an SUV, not a 911 Carrera.

Think of it as evolution in action...

I am sure any policeman would have a lot of traffic horror stories to tell.

I'm one of those.

Not so much horror stories but mostly just general stupidity, inattention, distractions, and of course the old standby, DWI. Those Darwin Award stories you hear about? They're probably all true, at least going by what I've seen.

Passing a stopped school bus was an automatic ticket. I didn't care if someone was having a heart attack or delivering a baby, they got a ticket. It wasn't a cheap one either. (Okay, that never happened but I would call an ambulance for them.) No insurance was another one and I'd tow the car and take the tags, turned in to MVA. They'd have to get proof of insurance and reregister the car from scratch.

Cell phones in wide use happened just a few years before I retired (I was doing fraud work by then anyway) and I would have been merciless on those idiots yakking, texting & driving.

The really bad wrecks are by definition pretty rare, at least where I worked. In 18 years on the road I saw perhaps a dozen fatals myself and only handled one. It was mostly suburban area and the speeds didn't usually get anywhere near three figures where things get very bad. Later on the very serious and fatals were handled by a specialty collision reconstruction unit, which is a good thing.

No insurance was another one and I'd tow the car and take the tags, turned in to MVA. They'd have to get proof of insurance and reregister the car from scratch.

We only wish that would be the norm around this city of 4+ million and 2+ million undocumented "southerners". We would need a tow in lot the size of Rhode Island to hold the cars.

Here, we just hand them a $50 ticket and they are on there way. This even happens if they whack somebody and the law shows up. Mind you now, they must show proof of insurance when they pay the $50 ticket, but it's only a $39 monthly policy from Fred Loya Insurance to do the trick (or they just ignore the ticket).

And yet.....with all the new safety gear going into cars.....if they came out with a new (old) version of the old Datsun pickups (or Ford Ranger etc....not the big version they turned into) I would be willing to buy one. They were really useful vehicles that ran well, got good gas mileage, and were cheap to run. Now, after years and years of safety upgrades....the small pickups weigh twice as much and get 1/3 less mpg.....yep, they are safer, but cost twice as much because of it. At some point....they are going to put so many safety devices on vehicles that not too many people will be able to afford them.

Good looking truck. What is it? Been looking, my guess is a Mack, but I've seen a REO, and Diamond T that are similar.

I'm not sure, could be a 38 Chevy with a 454 in it? So, 38Chevy454, what is it? :confused:

My avatar is one of my hot rods. It is a 1949 Ford COE (cab over engine) and it was a big truck when originally built. Had a 14 ft flatbed and was a 3 ton rated truck. Now it is on a 1-ton GM pickup chassis and is not that big, same as a full size truck. It is highly modified from stock. Here is a picture to see better.

Here is my namesake, a 1938 Chevy 2 dr sedan with a 454 engine:

apologies to the OP for the hijack.....

Last edited:
I receive Elio email updates. Signed up for them when I first heard about the car last year. Here's the latest. Kind of reminds me of a tiny Prowler.
i07FbHlLyz5mGmjr_MYYwGfGkp0hWP7tZd64nE6_LUQxSJFtNpV1-1Ft3LcL3JENl_7YjcZqzRhZSGPotulWONOboArGFYwZkc69740V_hOm0Ka6LXZfdhGmjV2KPdbIreeNo9tj_ODuIF1N_lE67LrX7Y0=s0-d-e1-ft

Back
Top Bottom