Veterans Day

Yes, indeed! Thank you to all who have served. I think many people do not realize the huge sacrifices military members (and their families) make whether on foreign shores or stateside, in war zones or in times of relative peace. I chatted briefly with an elderly neighbor (WW II era) dressed in his Marine Corps uniform and leaving for a Veteran's Day service with his daughter. He can barely walk but was making the effort to honor the day.

I received an email today from my BIL who I have know for over 40 years. (I met him when I got back from RVN in '69 and he was in grade school.) In his email he thanked me for my army service and he advised me that I had always been his hero. Wow, who knew? Really caught me off guard.

Just for the record, thank you all very much.
Saying ""Thanks" to a veteran is definitely a nice thing to do.

But really, for many of us, it's just a little disconcerting. Growing up in the shadow of the Greatest Generation, we saw it as simply the right thing to do. I guess what I mean is that we're sometimes a little embarrassed by the thanks, because we didn't see ourselves as heroes, way back when.

As a Navy vet who got to visit exotic WestPac places I found it disconcerting to find Wells Fargo bank closed today. Not quite sure how that honors veterans, but did impress upon me that it is veteran's day. A thought to those who paid with more than time.

On the less somber side, I learned that you can feed checks into the Wells Fargo ATM, it scans them, asks you to confirm the amount, and then can print out a reciept with images of the checks! Very Cool! I'm so behind the times.

Just looked up the ship I was on ..USS Inchon...LPH12..apparently they used it for target practice off Virginia in 2004. :(

I recall shortly after the start of the second Iraq war the airlines would allow you to donate your frequent flier miles to an organization that made them available to service members serving overseas.

Anyone know if that program still exists?

Just looked up the ship I was on ..USS Inchon...LPH12..apparently they used it for target practice off Virginia in 2004. :(

I recall shortly after the start of the second Iraq war the airlines would allow you to donate your frequent flier miles to an organization that made them available to service members serving overseas.

Anyone know if that program still exists?

Don't know about that one, but these folks raise cash to bring troops home: Let's Bring Em Home!

Didn't mind so much when my first ship, the old WW2 can Mansfield got decommissioned - but when the second, the shiny nuke cruiser Long Beach, got decomissioned I felt like a dinosaur.

Don't know about that one, but these folks raise cash to bring troops home: Let's Bring Em Home!

Didn't mind so much whenmy first ship, the old WW2 can Manfield got decommissioned - but when the shiny nuke cruiser Long Beach got decomissioned I felt like a dinosaur.

Yeah...Long Beach and Enterprise...they were the pride of the fleet...in the late sixties.

I really liked that frequent flier donation idea...I think it was geared to those service members who were having a kid or needed to get home for emergencies...something along those lines..and it allowed the public to put up..

Thank you to all the veterans who have really sacrificed. 22 years in the USN/R here

I am particularly in awe of the female veterans who served, paving the way, despite the challenges they faced both in the military, and from their family and friends. Their service has allowed me to serve with minimal drama as a result of my gender.

Neither of my submarines survived five years past my attempts to operate and maintain them.

But I still drive by my old training command once in a while, and it looks like not a single thing has [-]been painted[/-] changed since I retired eight years ago...

Thank you to all the veterans who have really sacrificed. 22 years in the USN/R here

I am particularly in awe of the female veterans who served, paving the way, despite the challenges they faced both in the military, and from their family and friends. Their service has allowed me to serve with minimal drama as a result of my gender.
My spouse says thanks, and my daughter needs to chat with you someday!

The most sincere acceptance of women in the service will be when no one can imagine why it would be a big deal to be a woman in the service...

I hope I speak for more than just myself, but for me, at least, the years I spent in the service of my country were among the most meaningful of my life. I am grateful I had the opportunity.

Thank you to all the men and women who served in the military.

I just want to again express my thanks and deep appreciation to all of you who served. Veterans day is almost over. Even so, I think of your service throughout the year.

Everyone should be this happy to see a service man or woman returning home:

YouTube - Seeing my dog the day I got back from Afghanistan

I hope I speak for more than just myself, but for me, at least, the years I spent in the service of my country were among the most meaningful of my life. I am grateful I had the opportunity.
Certainly the most memorable!

But I can't imagine things turning out better if I had not sought out the service. Starting with meeting my spouse...

Back
Top Bottom