Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-26-2014, 12:47 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Is there another vet in your area? They can't all be bad........
All the ones around here seen to have joined the same club....and we have been to most of them.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had a dog when I was a child, he lived to be about 15 and we took him to a vet once when he was hit by a car. In that vet visit he had his first and only rabies shot, the nearest vet was 75 miles away.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:37 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
All the ones around here seen to have joined the same club....and we have been to most of them.
You have to kiss a lot of frogs before you get a prince.
I have stories out the wazoo about trying to find a reasonable vet in each new place we have moved to.

I think it is a little easier out here in the boonies. The word of mouth is pretty accurate but the selection is low.
It is hard to find a competent, caring problem solver. Extra points for if they know when they are in over their head and know where to recommend you to. Extra points if they are reasonably priced.

In my current situation, the one vet is competent but they charge what they want to. Also, I have a problem dog in that he gets aggressive at his vet visits. They are not good at handling this. I need to try the next recommended vet for this. Current vet is half hour away. The next potential is an hour away.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:07 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
The only service we use that I feel is too expensive is prescription dog food. Our Malteese can't handle anything except it. His digestive system is sensitive, he gets very ill on all regular dog foods, even the premium ones.

When he got up to almost 20 lbs. I took him in as I feared the complications that come with obesity. Explained to the vet the dogs health insurance(me) didn't cover joint replacements.

Oh there's a diet version, same price. He went from 20 lbs. to 12.5 in 6 months. So much more playful, happy. The other Shitzu/Japanese Chin mix eats with him so we get to buy it for 2 dogs. She went from 17.5 to 12 lbs. at the same time. So the dogs are more playful, happy, and active, at $80 a month they better be. Glad we don't have a Great Dane!

Stuff is amazing, just think I should be able to buy it without a prescription, and lower cost.
MRG
We have to do the same MRG. Prescription low fat W/D from the vet. Anything else and our dog drops into pancreatitis. Bouts of that can lead to the diabetes so I suppose the way I have to view it is, it seems to be keeping the vet bills down on the other side of the fence....so to speak.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:55 PM   #45

We have 5 cats. Our second cat had an eye problem when we adopted him. He had an eye surgery and then I was taking him to them constantly. I was still working full-time in my career job then. I can remember when she told me that they could not do anything else for him. I asked her what I was supposed to do with my Friday nights now and she just laughed. This is the same vet's office that we took our previous dog to for 17 years. We had Susie's (our dog) teeth cleaned and ended up having almost all of her teeth pulled. The 2 vets that owned the place were married and ended up getting a divorce and lots of new vets were in and out. Our vet bills were high. They started saying that our cats were going to need their teeth cleaned and one of them needed it soon. I had been thinking about switching to my son's vet. One of our cats, the same one that needed her teeth cleaned, developed an allergic reaction to our changing her cat food. Took her to our son's vet and they questioned me about any differences and I told them about the food. Gave her some meds and told me to put her back on her old food which fixed the problem. I asked the vet how much it would be for a teeth cleaning there. She looked at her teeth and said that her teeth did not need cleaned. I told her that she had been at the other vet and had her shots and they said her teeth needed cleaned. She looked again and told me that her own cat's teeth were about the same as my cat's teeth and that they did not need cleaned yet. I have since switched all 5 of the cats to the new vet's office. I am only getting what is absolutely necessary and only taking the cats in between time if a new problem occurs.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
Inflammatory bowel disease
That's what I thought also but the symptoms come and go (she has a flare up about once a month) and the ultrasound showed no evidence of inflammation so the vet does not believe it is IBD. The only way to diagnose IBD is biopsy of the colon, which means two days in the hospital for the "cleansing" - done by a series of suppositories (you can't get a dog to drink a gallon if icky tasting stuff !). We may have to go that route but the dog has a whole other set of psychological issues which makes the whole thing more complex. I think I'm going to ask to start IBD treatment in lieu of diagnosis since all the other likely suspects have been ruled out. Thanks for your concern - truly appreciated
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:46 PM   #47

Along the lines of this thread, we boarded our Siberian cat Jan2nd thru Jan 5th. After pick up and getting her home, her eyes looked glassy, were running continuously and she had a cough. She had neither on drop off. They gave her a bordetella shot without telling me or going over whether she needed it or not. (we boarded her s summer and I did not and do not know if she got one then...etc.)
I called the vet and they did give me liquid amoxycillin for her without my having to bring her in.
Her eyes were better and normal but she still has a cough she didn't have. I've been waiting to see if it will clear up.

Was at the vet today to pick up prescription food for our dog (10 minute errand). Told the secretary about it and asked to speak to the vet, mainly to see what possibilities there are for her still having her cough.

All they were say, is "bring her in". When prompted again to have a little conversation with the vet....the secretary returned with ...."bring her in".

I suppose I was a little irritated that the vet would not even "talk" with me about it prior to bringing her in. Meaning I wanted to know if it could be a side affect of the shot.

This vet does not make appointments. It's first come, first serve. When I go, I am ALWAYS there for at least 2 hours..or longer etc. So I have to allow either a morning or afternoon for a vet visit.

They shut their offices down between 12:00 and 2:00 and while she may have been busy doing others things, and I'm sure she was...there were "furry patients" present to be seen. She also was not in surgery.

Also I am sure "bring her in" would mean at least a $200 plus vet bill or more because what can she tell me without running all sorts of test

I suppose I just wanted some information. This is not my favorite doctor at this vet's office
Old 02-06-2014, 02:18 PM   #48

sheehs1, Sounds like your cat has kennel cough (Bordetella bronchiseptica bacterium). Discharge in eyes, coughing, sneezing. The kennel I go to requires your animal to be immunized before boarding (not at time of boarding) because it's highly contagious. Likely your animal caught it at the kennel. Treatment is usually antibiotics. If you have other animals they can catch it from your infected cat. The vet and vet assistant should know right away it's kennel cough without you bring the cat in. Do a search online for kennel cough. Had a dog get kennel cough at a different kennel than I go to now. They supplied the antibiotics for free.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #49

The only vets in our area that don't make appointments are the "college student" vets downtown, that are super super cheap. If your vet is charging full freight AND you have to wait to see them, I'd find a new vet posthaste.

It isn't surprising they didn't want to put the vet on the phone, though. Docs hate when they are asked to make a diagnosis over the phone and just avoid the conversations altogether when possible.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:22 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
sheehs1, Sounds like your cat has kennel cough (Bordetella bronchiseptica bacterium). Discharge in eyes, coughing, sneezing. The kennel I go to requires your animal to be immunized before boarding (not at time of boarding) because it's highly contagious. Likely your animal caught it at the kennel. Treatment is usually antibiotics. If you have other animals they can catch it from your infected cat. The vet and vet assistant should know right away it's kennel cough without you bring the cat in. Do a search online for kennel cough. Had a dog get kennel cough at a different kennel than I go to now. They supplied the antibiotics for free.
Thank you splitwdw. I'll research. She was on a round of antibiotics...but perhaps it was not for long enough. Perhaps I should call the vet back....and say if she has kennel cough, I don't think you want me exposing the other animals in the waiting room!
Old 02-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
The only vets in our area that don't make appointments are the "college student" vets downtown, that are super super cheap. If your vet is charging full freight AND you have to wait to see them, I'd find a new vet posthaste.

It isn't surprising they didn't want to put the vet on the phone, though. Docs hate when they are asked to make a diagnosis over the phone and just avoid the conversations altogether when possible.
Hey Sarah in SC. It wasn't over the phone. I was in their office picking up dog food and she still wouldn't give me a few of her minutes!!

There is another vet...about 35 minutes away who does it by appointment. I have gone back and forth between the two depending on how serious it is.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:29 PM   #52

Ah, that is pretty bad.
I would go with one vet and build as best a relationship as you can. I routinely drove 45 minutes to my vet of choice (with 5 cats) because he WAS willing to diagnose over the phone things wrong with animals he'd seen regularly and knew the history on. The more comfortable they are with you, the better the care you'll likely get, so I'd pick one and stick with them. My vote is for the one that doesn't do cattle call.

Bordatella vaccines are weird...I've had to give them before, and gotten a sneeze-ful in my face (pretty sure I'm vaccinated as well). I don't board, but I get a lot of fosters coming in from sketchy shelters so my dogs especially are prone to be exposed to it.

Veterinarian
Old 02-06-2014, 02:36 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Veterinarian

Our dog got kennel cough last time she was boarded, even though she is always current on her bordatella vaccinations as we do board her several times a year. We just waited it out and she got over it without any vet visit or phone call. Maybe your cat has something else going on?

Too bad the vet isn't more available.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Ah, that is pretty bad.
I would go with one vet and build as best a relationship as you can. I routinely drove 45 minutes to my vet of choice (with 5 cats) because he WAS willing to diagnose over the phone things wrong with animals he'd seen regularly and knew the history on. The more comfortable they are with you, the better the care you'll likely get, so I'd pick one and stick with them. My vote is for the one that doesn't do cattle call.

Bordatella vaccines are weird...I've had to give them before, and gotten a sneeze-ful in my face (pretty sure I'm vaccinated as well). I don't board, but I get a lot of fosters coming in from sketchy shelters so my dogs especially are prone to be exposed to it.
The vet is at the vet practice where I boarded....so I suppose I wanted them to know she caught it there...and perhaps they will waive the office visit fee....and some other stuff. (but I doubt it). Ha!
Old 02-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Our dog got kennel cough last time she was boarded, even though she is always current on her bordatella vaccinations as we do board her several times a year. We just waited it out and she got over it without any vet visit or phone call. Maybe your cat has something else going on?

Too bad the vet isn't more available.
It's possible there is something else which is why once her eyes cleared up....I was sort of waiting to see if this cough would clear out. I think it is better than it was but she still has it.

Just posted about the fact that I was physically at the vet and she wouldn't even talk to me. I guess they want that office visit fee, plus, plus....
Old 02-06-2014, 05:59 PM   #56

Kennel cough is harder on kittens and older cats. Don't know the age of your cat. Didn't realize it's been a month since this happened. Kennel cough can develop into pneumonia.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:22 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Kennel cough is harder on kittens and older cats. Don't know the age of your cat. Didn't realize it's been a month since this happened. Kennel cough can develop into pneumonia.
Not quite a month...meaning she ha antibiotics for 10 days...but your point is well taken. I'm off to the vet tomorrow. I had no idea it could turn into pneumonia. Her cough is better since the antibiotic. She just stills has it ...several times a day. Thank you spitwdw...
Old 02-07-2014, 03:30 AM   #58

My cats have never gotten it, only dogs, but that cough will drive you crazy!! My poor hound dog got it from a foster, and he coughed for 6 weeks. Nothing to it, but just kept coughing.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:06 AM   #59

My animals and cat have never had it either Sarah. There could be something else going on. She's coughing only about 4 to 6 times a day. She ate normally after picking her up and is still eating normally.

Just called the place where I boarded her to get more info on her shots. We boarded her last summer and she had the shot then. They gave it to her again in January. I assumed it was once a year but they told me it's every 6 months.

I'm surprised she got kennel cough...or whatever it is/was. She was definitely a sick looking sweetie. But looks better now and is eating. Just has that hacking cough several times a day. (don't think it is a stuck hair ball - doesn't sound like that cough!)
Old 02-07-2014, 10:19 AM   #60

I love that we all know exactly how different coughs sound, lol...and can identify their origins. It is like that distinctive noise that will cause us to levitate out of the bed in the middle of the night..the warning signal for puke! Arrggghh!

Hope she gets well soon, that's for sure. The bordatella vaccine is usually given every six months in dogs as well, if they are boarded or come in contact with dogs that might have it. And it also isn't 100% effective, but probably better than not doing it.