Veterinarian Expenses - Annual versus one time

This is one of the minor reasons I enjoy having chickens as pets. They just aren’t true companions, so one doesn’t get as emotionally attached.
Took one hen in with a comb tumor, spent some money on biopsy and pills, then put her down myself when the biopsy came back positive.

I’m not sure what I’d spend on a dog. A dog is family, so probably some stupid and obscene number. I don’t think I could euthanize a dog; the sweet chickens are hard enough.

One of my kitties has developed chronic kidney disease and needs Rx food and twice-weekly subcutaneous fluid injections. She's gotten pretty expensive but we don't mind one bit. We tried giving her the sub-Q at home (DW was an RN in a previous life) but kitty doesn't cooperate with us. The vet said it's not uncommon for the owners to have this sort of trouble. Sure would be cheaper to do it at home, though.

Have you studied any of the many you tube videos on giving sub q fluids? I did that before starting to give fluids at home. Also did it the first time at the vet with vet tech supervision. It has been three years plus now of doing it at home every other day giving 100 ml (really would not recommend more than 100 ml each time, as much more than that makes the experience too uncomfortable for the cat unless your cat is quite large). And I do this by myself. If there are two of you it should be a breeze. My cat is quite vocal but more or less cooperative. Also, you could wrap your cat in a large towel first ("kitty burrito", there are videos on doing that too) if your cat is too wiggly. They get used to it eventually and the smarter ones do seem to realize it makes them feel better.

This varies a great deal by pet. At one time we had 5 dogs and 5 cats. Through old age attrition we have much fewer now. Some years we spend nothing except for annual visit and needed vaccinations. Some of her pets have literally never been sick.

The last year and a half was rough. One cat had surgery and chemotherapy and eventually succumbed at a cost of about $11000. One dog had surgery for a cancer that was about $750 as a I recall. It was a cancer amenable to chemo so there was no real after that.

One of our cats had stomatitis and had to have her teeth removed. That surgery was expensive, but has I think saved/will save us money in the long term. Before the surgery, she had constant infections and inflammation of the mouth and was always going to the vet and taking medications. Now, she rarely needs to go to the vet.

That cat is 2 and she had this surgery for the test that was I think around $2500. On the other hand I have one cat who is about 5 years old and I don't think she has ever been sick. The cat we spent the $11k on 11 years old. During his entire life until then I don't think he had ever had any serious/expensive illness.

We have had the usual vet bills up until our current fur baby. He is a shar-pei mix and has some conditions which need monthly vet visits. We purchased insurance through the vet that has saved us a bundle--free "well pet" medical and dental visits twice a year, free immunizations, and close to 50% discount on all other services.
He is worth every penny spent.

Back
Top Bottom