Join Early Retirement Today

Video Autoplay Hell
Old 06-09-2017, 03:56 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Video Autoplay Hell

Over the past few months, it seems like every last news/article website has added videos that automatically play when you load their page, AND when you scroll down past the inline video it gets sent over to a floating viewer that adjusts to stay within your view and continues to play. So you have to stop what you're reading and go stop it. But on some sites they're playing ads before whatever content they insist on playing, and don't let you stop the video until the ad is done. Grrrrr! It's so annoying and infuriating that I often leave the page before I read the article, but more and more sites are adopting this unfriendly user experience! It's amazing how quickly these sites "upgrade" to look and act just like other sites, so the annoying stuff spreads quickly.

Back in the old days you used to be able to click on a link and read an article! I want to read, not watch!

Today I was reminded that Safari has a reader mode button (next to the URL on certain sites) that will cut that stuff out. Yes!

A new version of Safari was announced that will let you stop the video autoplay madness, but I don't know when that will come out, or if you have to upgrade your OS to get it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2017, 05:45 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

YES!! I'm also a reader not a watcher!

Browsers finally got good at stopping flash player running automatically, but then started supporting HTML 5 auto-play, with no equivalent option to disable that. Funny how the developers give, then take away.

For anyone using Chrome or Firefox, there's a great plug-in called uBLock Origin. There may be others, but when I did my research that seemed like the best option.

CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:51 AM   #3
Administrator

Totally agree. This has led me to keep the volume muted, as unexpected audio woke the baby when DD was visiting a while back. I have also cut back on links to websites because of this - but not Bloomberg, which does it constantly.

This is one of the drawbacks of no-fee news and information sits. They need revenue and will get it one way or another.

I also read the Apple announcement that a new Safari will allow us to control this, but my fear is these updates consume too much capacity and hasten the obscelence of the device.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:52 AM   #4

Ublock origin is a good go-to one, solves most of the issue. Noscript takes it a step further.

They're practically forcing us to move to adblocking and solutions like this. The inventor of the autoplay feature gets no love from me, and every single person who believes it helps their site is delusional. Youtube, yes I am looking at you.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:34 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
A new version of Safari was announced that will let you stop the video autoplay madness, but I don't know when that will come out, or if you have to upgrade your OS to get it.
I heard that mentioned in the recent Apple announcements and am anxiously awaiting this as well. I assume it may come this fall.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:38 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I heard that mentioned in the recent Apple announcements and am anxiously awaiting this as well. I assume it may come this fall.
Don't forget about reader mode in Safari now. That cuts the crap out immediately.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:50 AM   #7

+1 on hating auto play. I'll definitely try noscript - thanks for that suggestion!
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:04 AM   #8

Audrey I could have written your post - I feel exactly the same way. The ones that scroll with you are just ridiculous and will lead me to just close the tab, nothing can be that interesting!

I'm also disappointed when an article I want to read turns out to be a video only. I use Chrome, but I keep a couple of tabs Muted for browsing these sites.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:45 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I hate it, too. In some websites, shortly after I begin reading the article, a video appears in the lower right corner which partly blocks the article. And an ad precedes the video, of course, so the bet I can do it turn the speaker volume down until the ad ends. Then, if I am lucky, I can close the obstructing video and read the article unimpeded.

Once in a while, I try to watch an online version of a TV show I missed. I used to be able to watch ad-free but now they make you sit through ads just to get to the TV show's content. And I have had the ads hang up my browser, forcing me to shut it down and restart it, then return to the website, reload the TV show, and sit through the ads AGAIN! It once took me 20 minutes to watch an 8-minute segment of the show.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:47 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Count me in too as one that can't stand the video autoplay.

To manage that somewhat uBlock origin (as Toroto mentioned) helps. Also, I use a program (windows) call Sound Locker which has a slider to control the maximum volume on the PC as without there'd be times not knowing a video autoplays, I'd get startled. Yes.. grrr!
Old 06-09-2017, 08:00 AM   #11

In Chrome, I run Automute which mutes all tabs automatically. If I want to listen to something I just unmute the tab it's in.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:01 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Audrey I could have written your post - I feel exactly the same way. The ones that scroll with you are just ridiculous and will lead me to just close the tab, nothing can be that interesting!

I'm also disappointed when an article I want to read turns out to be a video only. I use Chrome, but I keep a couple of tabs Muted for browsing these sites.
From what I read, Chrome used to have a way to turn autoplay off. But then they removed it?!?!
Old 06-09-2017, 08:07 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
From what I read, Chrome used to have a way to turn autoplay off. But then they removed it?!?!
The "Disable HTML5 Autoplay" extension for Chrome works reasonably well.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:40 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

For Firefox the extension Tab Mix Plus has a little audio speaker on the tab that shows up when a video starts. Easy to mute the video.

Also this extension has some nice things like Duplicate Tab to get another identical tab up. Then one can navigate from that while keeping the original easily available. Also a Closed Tab List. You get these by right clicking on the tab.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:58 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
For Firefox the extension Tab Mix Plus has a little audio speaker on the tab that shows up when a video starts. Easy to mute the video.

Also this extension has some nice things like Duplicate Tab to get another identical tab up. Then one can navigate from that while keeping the original easily available. Also a Closed Tab List. You get these by right clicking on the tab.
Safari also has a audio speaker in the URL that can be clicked to turn off audio in ANY open page - not just the top one. So its easy to block any noise. But I'm also annoyed by the distracting motion of the video.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:20 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Safari also has a audio speaker in the URL that can be clicked to turn off audio in ANY open page - not just the top one. So its easy to block any noise. But I'm also annoyed by the distracting motion of the video.
I try to endure some distractions to build up my advertising immunity.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:23 AM   #17

Since older browsers don't have HTML 5 autoplay they avoid such video, and whatever new tricks sites have up their sleeves. It's one of the reasons many people have stopped upgrading.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:29 AM   #18

The last few months I have encountered sites that won't let you see their content until you disable ad blockers. I find that frustrating also along with the Autoplay videos.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:35 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Since older browsers don't have HTML 5 autoplay they avoid such video, and whatever new tricks sites have up their sleeves. It's one of the reasons many people have stopped upgrading.
Security issues with this strategy?
Old 06-09-2017, 09:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The "Disable HTML5 Autoplay" extension for Chrome works reasonably well.
+1

In my experience, it works perfectly on the vast majority of "video autoplay" sites. Highly recommended for all Chrome users who want control over how and when video plays on websites.

Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote